Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get started?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Best way to get started?

What is a good RTR kit that I can buy for not too expensive? I have some experience with older RC technologies, but those are the days of soldering together batteries and running brushed motors. I really would like to get into the local Trans Am type races, I've found the rules on a site but it wont let me give you the link, that is the usvintagetransam site.
Let me know what is the best chassis for its money. I've been looking towards an HPI Sprint 2, but i dont know how good that is compared to others.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garrittpwl
What is a good RTR kit that I can buy for not too expensive? I have some experience with older RC technologies, but those are the days of soldering together batteries and running brushed motors. I really would like to get into the local Trans Am type races, I've found the rules on a site but it wont let me give you the link, that is the usvintagetransam site.
Let me know what is the best chassis for its money. I've been looking towards an HPI Sprint 2, but i dont know how good that is compared to others.
First thing most people will tell you is to go to the track and see what people are running and what they stock parts for.

Doesn't help to get a good deal on a car if you can't get help with it or parts.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with twotone but I would add that it is better to have a used car of better quality than to have a new car that does not perform well to begin with. See what you can get parts for, and what the locals are running. Then see what you can get for a fair price new or used.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Go to the local track and ask this question.
Find out what classes are running, is the TA class robust.
Is the HPI sprint 2 legal in TA? The sport version doesn't come with a TA body, the Flux version may not be "stock enough".

Go down to the track and ask ?'s.
or you could take a few hours and drive down to you're local track and
ask ?'s.

Also buy from your local track/hobby shop.

Stormer is awesome, A-mains the tops, both are useless if you don't have a place to race/run your car. So keep it in the family, buy a used car from a local.
If you're local shop doesn't stock what you need and won't order it. nexus is ready for your order.

I also suggest heading down to you're local track to ask ?'s.

robert
Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WooHoo
Go to the local track and ask this question.
Find out what classes are running, is the TA class robust.
Is the HPI sprint 2 legal in TA? The sport version doesn't come with a TA body, the Flux version may not be "stock enough".

Go down to the track and ask ?'s.
or you could take a few hours and drive down to you're local track and
ask ?'s.

Also buy from your local track/hobby shop.

Stormer is awesome, A-mains the tops, both are useless if you don't have a place to race/run your car. So keep it in the family, buy a used car from a local.
If you're local shop doesn't stock what you need and won't order it. nexus is ready for your order.

I also suggest heading down to you're local track to ask ?'s.

robert
Gee, Rob, you sound a bit redundantly redundant. Great advice, tho...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys, i have a friend willing to sell me some stuff, so i think ill take that route, also around here(indianapolis) the TA stuff is HUGE.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

good choice....
Old 12-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Rookie

I managed to get a hold of my bosses' tc5r, its all setup for the local TA series, although im making payments to him for a long time....