Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lathe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

When using oil do you just put it right on the comm when cutting?
Old 03-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Default Lathe tips

Guys;

Most of the "Bearing" V-blocks that I've seen do not have Ball Bearings for the rollers. They are a Roller Bearing (solid hardened steel on a hardened shaft). Just like a stock Motor bushing, a drop of bushing oil every once in awhile and they will last forever.

I've tried cutting oil vs a Sharpie for lube and really haven't noticed any difference in the quality cut. Oil sure does make alot more mess though.

If your set on using oil, put the drop on the top of the bit and let it run down to the surface of the Com while cutting. This slings less oil off and makes less of a mess.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for the feedback. I hear ya on the mess the oil will make. I use sharpie right now. I will prolly just stick with that atleast for awhile.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was a machinist for a few years, never used a cutting oil on brass / copper etc, not necesary. I want the chips to fall off the end of the tool away from the comm, not get caught in cutting oil. I've had a cobra for about 8 years and I'm still using the same diamond bit which has been sharpened once, during my last competition i cut about 25 armatures and I've done another ten in the last week. I've easily cut about 1500 comm's in this tool's lifetime and is it just fine. The key for longevity in the tool and the lathe is to GO SLOW. I use a 4 cell pack on a mabuchi motor to drive the armature. Also take your time with the cut 5-10 secs per pass. Take shallow cuts. What is the hurry, 90% of the time is setting it up anyway. You look after it, it will look after you.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Once bearings gain slop you can replace them or even just fill then with jb weld and turn them into v-guides.
Are you serious? Would that really work? I ask because my bearings are getting sort of old, and I lost the V guides that came with my Trinity Tru-Lathe 3, if anyone has a pair for sale, or knows where I can get them, please let me know. Thanks
Old 03-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Lathe tips

Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

Most of the "Bearing" V-blocks that I've seen do not have Ball Bearings for the rollers. They are a Roller Bearing (solid hardened steel on a hardened shaft). Just like a stock Motor bushing, a drop of bushing oil every once in awhile and they will last forever.

I've tried cutting oil vs a Sharpie for lube and really haven't noticed any difference in the quality cut. Oil sure does make alot more mess though.

If your set on using oil, put the drop on the top of the bit and let it run down to the surface of the Com while cutting. This slings less oil off and makes less of a mess.
I just put it on while the arm is spinning.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Rob Hochberg - This is what I've heard, all you need is something to stop the bb's from moving, so CA or superglue would probably could get it done too. As long as the bb's outside surface is lubed and their smooth it should work fine. But if your bb's are still working fine and arn't hurting the comm's finish, I don't see much point in doing it. Normally you'd only do it if your bb's are full of metal shavings or have too much slop.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:48 PM

Post Elite comm lathe

How make Elite comm lathe. Im looking for a manual.

Any help would be great.

Thanks