Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing brushes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Racing brushes

does anyone know how much extra can be gained by some good quality brushes or if there is such thing as modifing your brushes in anyway to get RPM.....
Old 04-06-2004, 03:54 AM
Tech Addict

Default Thats a loaded question

100 answers will bring 100 opinions. YES better brushes will bring a little more power. Lining up your brush hoods properly will make the biggest difference in how your motor runs. If they are already right, then I would say "Race" brushes are probably the next way to imporve performance. I use Reedy 767 brushes with a 5/64 hole in the center. The hole does not gain torque or RPM, for me it seems to help keep the brush surface much cleaner so they work better for a longer time. Putnam has some real good brushes in 3 different amounts of silver. Trinity 4499s are good too. I THINK those are too hard on the comm. If you want to run "High Performance" brushes, you should have a com lathe. It will help you get the performance out of your motor. You are supposed to true the com before replacing the brushes anyhow. If you can't try to get some one to do it for you or your hobby shop.

David Root
Old 04-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Brushes

So do you think I should try the whole down the centre of the brushes I have now, if it makes a difference this would be great
Old 04-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You can use a lighter spring with the hole brush and still get the same effect as a full brush with a stiffer spring.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Actually with the test I have done on 4 different brand Dyno's a Hole in the middle of the Brush will raise RPM a lil and lower torque due to less surface area on the brush.
The BEST thing about the hole in the middle of the brush though is heat.It reduces heat.
On Reedy MVP's,Orion Core's,Peak Hellfire's and Integy Atlas Stock motor's it's nice to Narrow the brush on each side the way BIG JIM states.This reduces the overlap or "HANGOVER" the brush has on these motor's reducing heat and increasing performance.
Reedy 767 and 766 brushes work well.In offroad or sedan on smaller tracks we tend to run a 766 on the -.
Putnam Greens and Blue's offer great performance in sedan or offroad on bigger tracks.They do seem to eat the comm a lil fast and dont last long.Thats the trade out though for higher performance.The Red Shunts I have used on smaller tracks in sedan or offroad on the -.
Trinity's e Brush or 4499 or the new 99 Plus brushes are also pretty good.
Hurricane has a gold brush that works well in trinity motor's.
Trinity,Putnam,Hurricane brushes do NOT work very well in motor's made by Reedy,Orion/Peak,Integy(Atlas).I guess it's due to content or makeup of the comm itself.Reedy's work best in those motor's.
Make sure the brush hoods are aligned,keep it clean and keep the comm fresh with some decent brushes and your good to go.
Goodluck and have fun.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

I found the hole makes the brush surface stay much cleaner. It doesn't get glazed, or pitted like they did with out it. A few people like you TeX have told me there is a gain in torque or RPM. I don't have a real dyno, so I can't tell. I can tell that if the brush surface stays cleaner it will perform better. No pitting or glaze on the brush is for sure better comutation. I use the equivilent of Red spring on the + and Green on the - .
Old 04-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

You exactly right David.Alot of that has to do with less heat.So Less glaze is what you end up with.When there is less surface area there that also means less mess.lol
It will increase rpm just a tad but will diminish torque.
We used this alot on Paradox's,P2k's and P2k2's.
Being the Monster's and Binary's are such High RPM we didnt do much with these unless it was a 766 on the -.
On Core's/Hellfire's,MVP's and Integy motor's I ususally do a small hole in the + which would be a reedy 767 and a bigger hole in the - side being a 766.
In sedan I run Red's either both sides or sometimes even a purple and red for small to medium and for faster flowing tracks it's red both sides or a Red and Green.
Offroad it's red+,Green- for buggy and sometimes for truck on bigger tracks or in truck red on both sides on smaller tracks.
1/12th scale is a lighter spring.Green on both sides and sometimes a blue even.
In 1/12th scale I have had REALLY good luck with 766's on both sides with hole's drilled.They seem to take 2-3 runs to fully break in and get faster with every run.Being a lighter spring and less stress on the motor I can get 6-8 runs before even skimming the comm with 766's.
Keep the learning coming guys.David is proof of this and is soaking it all up as all of us are.
Goodluck racing guys and have fun.