Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Yokomo drift car setups..... >

Yokomo drift car setups.....

Yokomo drift car setups.....

Old 02-26-2004, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Default Yokomo drift car setups.....

Does anyone have a setup for the drift car?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Yokomo drift car setups.....

Originally posted by teammediocre
Does anyone have a setup for the drift car?
Try asking this guy: TPhanlen. This is his SN here on RC Tech. He doesn't need driftin tires, but he can help.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

TPhalen
Old 02-27-2004, 04:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Drift

Follow the link Below to see the Singapore Local Production of Drift

http://www.jcube-hobby.com/forum/sho...=&threadid=484

And the fourm link below to ask about the setup.

http://www.jcube-hobby.com/forum/index.php?s=
Old 02-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

setups? all its supposed to do is slide..... what you wanna change!?!?!?! j/k. get yours built, Craig? ill prolly pick up the other one tomorrow... Dallas on sunday? c'mon, you know you want to...
Old 02-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

have you picked yours up yet?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Are ya'll going baack down there?How much and when are you getting back?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

You dont need a setup...but perhaps you could do something like this http://www.rcd.zip.to/ go to drift faq.

Basically you need negative camber in the front to the EXTREME. And no camber in rear, and stiff shocks, but stiffer in the rear.

I just made some pvc tires. like this (go to tech) http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/%7Esw-pal/DRIFT/DRIFT.html
Old 02-28-2004, 05:45 AM
Tech Addict

someone tell me why this is cool?
Old 02-28-2004, 07:34 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

No idea - not the quickest way around a track in 1:1, and a damned good way to destroy perfectly good tyres quickly.

Methink I have more fun with an overpowered 1/8th buggy on gravel... although the sandblasted shins do hurt a lot. (note to self, wear long pants next time... )
Old 02-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

don't knock it till you try it
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo drift car setups.....-drifting-amg.jpg  
Old 02-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

The point is to use old hard tires, or pvc tires made with old donors. Stop bashing this, since you have no understanding of drifting.
If you want to know more about drifting (which I assume you dont....)

Drifting is considered a huge sport in Japan and is now moving around the world to become a world class motor sport. It doesn't just look cool its even more fun doing it!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Drifting is a lot more fun than it looks. After seeing that Japanese video with the RS4s wearing PVC tires, I decided to do that on my XXX-S, since I never get to race it. It may not look as realistic, but that is definately the way to go. With the car still setup for CARPET, it drifted like nobody's business. Give it a shot; you just may like it
Old 02-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by teammediocre
don't knock it till you try it
Although I currently drive a BMW 540 ( much better road feal then an E class, BTW) Tires get really expensive really fast. $500 to $700 every 15K to 20K miles. Kinda adds up. Doing a power slide a few times will take 5,000 miles off the tires pretty fast.

Oh yeah - that's an add. The amount of skill it takes to do that is far above the vast majority of drivers. Unless you have track time, you won't know what i mean....

Originally posted by KevanB If you want to know more about drifting (which I assume you dont....) [/B]
Pretty bold statement buddy. Why do you think I posted?

Now this is more rational:

Originally posted by spenzalii
Drifting is a lot more fun than it looks. After seeing that Japanese video with the RS4s wearing PVC tires, I decided to do that on my XXX-S, since I never get to race it. It may not look as realistic, but that is definately the way to go. With the car still setup for CARPET, it drifted like nobody's business. Give it a shot; you just may like it.[/B]
At least this makes sense!

But not this...

Originally posted by KevanB Drifting is considered a huge sport in Japan and is now moving around the world to become a world class motor sport. It doesn't just look cool its even more fun doing it! [/B]
1. So what if they do it in Japan? Do you know how many "trends" they have over there? They are worse then teanage mall rat girls. I saw a young Japanese guy walking around (actuall a lot of youg japanese) with nonsense english on T-shirts. Something like "asdf werdvcf" when I was over there a few years ago on business. There is some cool car tech coming out of the far east, but it's the same thing as saying: "Driver such and such is sponsord by product so and so, therefore it must be good and I'll buy it". Not very rational to do something just because somebody else is doing it.

2. Yes, I know what drifting is. I've seen a few competitions on TV and read some articles. Some crazy horsepower in those cars. Problem is the judging is subjective. Not like oval or road where there is a clock to separate the men from the boys. It's also still well within the boy racer, west coast tuner culture. Not exactly spreading like wildfire.

One thing I don't like is giving young drivers ideas that they are "cool" or "good" drivers when they've never had a car on a track or taken a car control clinic. I cringe every time I seen some kid driving faster then their skills allow, it's worse when they don't know how close they are to the edge.... Can you tell me what lift off oversteer is? How about trailing throttle, or trail braking? How do you bring a car back under control if it does oversteer (front, rear or awd)? Do you know what that knob is with the numbers, 1,2,3,4,5, and the letter R is for? But I digress. We where talking about RC cars right? Don't blame me, I didn't bring in the real car analogies.

BTW, I think a car control clinic, track time, skid pad lessons, etc. should be mandetory before you can own a car with more than 150 hp in it. Most people consider themselves "above average" drivers, but don't have a clue how to control a skid or threashold brake and maintain control.

I just don't see the point of throwing a rc car around the street. It gets pretty old very fast just buzzing around. No point in it.

Oh, are there competitions for this stuff? Haven't seen any yet....

This is kinda fun.

Last edited by sands; 02-29-2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

The track I run at is starting a class next week.Not sure how the runs are gonna be set up.I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.As for your mini novel j/k sands.You make some very good points but it's about having fun not breaking down every little detail.Also if you haven't noticed just about every professinal d1 racer has a long list of JGTC,F1 and,Le Mans history.One more comment it's a RC CAR lighten up.......

Last edited by teammediocre; 02-29-2004 at 02:06 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.