R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   begginer ;D (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/349405-begginer-%3Bd.html)

kenstarhz 12-06-2009 12:47 AM

begginer ;D

hey im new to rc cars. im wondering should i go for nitro, gas or electric. Im not familiar with all the engine/motor names and types so if anyone would like to help that'd be much appreciated. :)

RyeRey521 12-06-2009 01:09 AM

Well what I believe most people would say is ask you what you are looking to do with the hobby....

Are you looking to race at the track, mess around with your buddies, or just go out in your backyard everyso often and play with it :sneaky:.... lol

If your going to race at an rc track... I would say go electric. It seems like all tracks whether they be onroad, offroad, or oval on or off all have an electric class.... It seems like electric cars are perfectly set up the the length of typical heats plus I think they are easier to set up (In the basic sense of the phrase) then nitro.... But then again some tracks are mostly geared towards nitro.. 1/8th dirt and onroad tracks usually have an electric class but untill electric catches up totally with the bigger scale they mostly do gas... if you will be racing just ask the guys at the track... for all you know... a bunch of new guys may have started up a class that the faster guys aren't into but would be good for you since other new guys would be in it ya know... Thats what I did with 1/12th scale I went into that over VTA first because of the caliber of guys in the class....

If your going to mess around with a group of friends then its cool to have what everyone else is using just for the fact one person won't have to be doing something diffrent and slowing the whole group up.......

If it's just you I think nitro or gas would be best for the fact that you can run it and then all you need to do is throw some more fuel in it... No waiting for something to charge really helps out when all you want to do is like high speed runs or jump dirt piles ya know. Gas cars are biggy and beefier but more expensive so you need to decide if the extra start up cost is worth the probable cheaper long run cost....

With all that being said I would say it really boils down to what your looking to get out of the hobby.... Each has its ups and downs... I am sure there will be tons of helpful information posted on this thread.. This is just one point of view... Good luck with the search and no matter what you do don't get disscouraged and join the hobby....

kenstarhz 12-06-2009 01:23 AM

haha thanks for that information and advice buddy.
i think nitro is the one for me seeing as i like high speed and im just using it as a often taking it out to the road and having a blast. Im looking to spend about $250 haha, im just not sure what engine and motors and stuff because i dont wanna buy something that is slow and useless :P
haha cheers

kenstarhz 12-06-2009 04:22 AM

anyone ? :(

Stangas 12-06-2009 05:11 AM

for $250 you aint gonna get much. Might pay to look up the second hand market on this website, it is very good.

I dont know about the US pricing, but even an entry level electric RTR (ready to run) is more than that in Australia. Nitro would be out of your pocket range.

My suggestion would be a traxxas rustler VXL (Offroad) , but you are in the electric on road section, so.....

Geez,

Tamiya TT01 maybe, you will be disappointed but.. will have to upgrade all electrics to get the speed, then the drive shaft lets you down etc.

Nitro.. Kyosho V-One RTR.

team jeremiah 12-06-2009 04:55 PM

I would say go electric, unless you know some one that would help and show you how to get a nitro engine tuned. getting a nitro motor tuned can be very very frusterating if you don't know what your doing.

As far as wanting speed electric's with the right motor are faster and quicker of the line then nitro. The down side is the run time. Nitro you can keep going untell your reciever pack runs out of juice.

Aso to be very honest with you either way you go $350 is the minimum what you should expect to pay if you are buying new.. you'll need batteries, charger and if you go nitro you'll need fuel thats $25-$40 a gallon, might need a glow plug warmer. I would also recomend buying new, you'll know you got every thing that is supposed to come with it, instructions, most give you basic tools you'll need and the car will be put together correct if it is a RTR. you wont have someone elses problems, if you dont know what to look for in a used car. And you will have Company support/warranty.

Also if you are planing on bashing you might want somthing that is versitile, not just for onroad. you can mostly always make an offroad car/truck handle well onroad, but you CAN'T make an on road car go offroad well.

The Hawaiian 12-06-2009 04:59 PM

as a newbe go electric...nitro can discourage people and is messy

kenstarhz 12-07-2009 01:31 AM

oh true, from what it sounds i think i would go electric now. haha any suggestoins on types of cars and pricing ? :)

katze 12-07-2009 02:13 AM

as a newbie, you should go electric...

nitro cars are more complicated... there are more parts to the car and more setup is required... clutch and engine tuning is an art to itself already... in addition, running nitro is more messy....

as a nitro mainly guy, i have seen lots of newbies get frustrated with nitro and many quit nitro b4 they really start to enjoy the hobby... i was patient enuff to persevere and is doing well with nitro...

for electric, recent lipo and brushless technology has made electric very simple... the car is simpler... less setup is required.... less mess and hassle... i bring less to an electric track than a nitro track.... with electric, you can start "slow" with less powerful motors and work your way up... but with nitro, even the slow motors are actually too much for a newbie...

but off course, nitro can be much more fun due to the noise, the smell, and the speed... this is of course debatable for many... :sweat:

tc3team 12-07-2009 02:32 AM

maybe im wrong, but purely imho an electric car with a brushed esc/motor should be cheaper than a nitro car and probably easier to learn about.

Find out where your local track is, then if you like the look of what you see, ask some questions.

I guess it's like buying a 1/1 car, you don't buy the first one you set your eyes on, you ask/look around first :)

PaPeRo 12-07-2009 04:23 AM

HPI makes some very afforadable RTR kits. Check out the Sprint 2 Sport RTR kits.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSVU4&P=0

kenstarhz 12-07-2009 05:18 AM

wow thanks for all the advice:smile:
I live in QLD anyone know any good local hobby shops?
or should i just go second hand :P

TwoTone 12-07-2009 05:38 AM

If you can afford it I would try to step up to
http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/100422/
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWLF1&P=0

Gets you a brushless from the start.

Second hand would be the way to go if you knew what you were looking for. You can get some really nice cars and electronics for a decent price.

kenstarhz 12-08-2009 12:54 AM

dayum the 1st link is like fuck.
how much you reckon it'd cost and do they do shippings to aus?

PaPeRo 12-08-2009 02:18 AM

Tower Hobbies ships internationally.