Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Epoxy Dye

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Default Epoxy Dye

Does anyone know what to use to dye epoxy. preferably something I can go find without ordering. Thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Regional Moderator

a Disperse dye with a biphenyl carrier might dye it.

As for anything a bit less exotic, I'll have to look into it tommorrow at the plant.

What color where you planning on dyeing it?

If you are applying a two part epoxy and just wish to colorize it, you can get a powdered pigment from an arts and crafts store and mix it in. It will not take very much to build the shade. The more you add, the weaker the epoxy may become depending on the type of pigment you use.

Last edited by petzl; 03-03-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

It may be best to use an epoxy pigment paste (spacifically for epoxy resin) they come in various colours and you can get small tins of it. West System is a good/common brand, it should be available from any marine store.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

WEST SYSTEM is good and has a variety of color additives availible.or you can try a polyester resin(fiberglass resin) wich may will have a much larger color additive selection. thats how they color fiberglass boats. they dont paint them,its just another coat of fiber glass resin with a pigment added.also known as gel coat. i work in the marine industry and personally think that polyester is much stronger and harder than WEST SYSTEM. but consider the application first. WEST SYSTEM may be more resistant to cracking because it is not quit as hard.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Im not using it for anything structual. Im just filling in some milled letters in some carbon fiber.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

in that case i would go with the polyester resin. any good boat dealer or marine supply store will have it. and if they dont have the color you want,i am sure they can order any color you could think of. hope this helps-sean

try www.westmarine.com
Old 03-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Regional Moderator

I used a polyester sytem once with a 0°/45°/Chopped S-glass mat to put a new floor in a small boat. The stuff was so tough I felt like I could fire a 12 gauge at it without any damage.

Of course, that was the time I also learned to NOT add too much catalyst to the gel coat. Gave the term fast cure a whole new meaning.

Last edited by petzl; 03-04-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:59 AM
Tech Addict

i had only used west system in the past,wich is a fine product.but right now i am working on a project using polyester, its amazing how tough that stuff is. i think you probably could have fired a 12 gauge at the boat floor with no damage.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

After trying a few things I had lying around I found something that works great. Testors model paint. It has great color Ill post a pic when I do the actual piece Im working on.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Epoxy Dye-brace.jpg