R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #61
Tech Addict

It is all very similar to the slot car scene around the world. In the 60's it was huge. When the cars started getting complicated and turned into cars looking like wings (like 8th gas) people lost interest. In the last 5-10 years Scalextric and other brands have brought out heaps of super realistic cars that are simple, fantastic looking and go fine with minimal tuning. Now lots of people are racing these around the world and heaps of people have got home tracks for them too.

How can we relate this back to the rc world?

We need to limit the bodies available to start with. Bodies like the tamiya range are very realistic looking. HPI and kyosho are also pretty scale looking.

We would also need to think about banning dish wheels.

Just my 2c
Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8nz View Post
It is all very similar to the slot car scene around the world. In the 60's it was huge. When the cars started getting complicated and turned into cars looking like wings (like 8th gas) people lost interest. In the last 5-10 years Scalextric and other brands have brought out heaps of super realistic cars that are simple, fantastic looking and go fine with minimal tuning. Now lots of people are racing these around the world and heaps of people have got home tracks for them too.

How can we relate this back to the rc world?

We need to limit the bodies available to start with. Bodies like the tamiya range are very realistic looking. HPI and kyosho are also pretty scale looking.

Just my 2c
Mike

Take a look at the RCGT class
www.rcgtshowdown.com
I believe thats the web site, I tried to get this class going around here but everyone didn't like change lol
Casey Belarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIALED View Post
Lots of good ideas here, but I don't understand how slowing down open mod is going to fill races.
Here is my 2c.

1. Mod is mod--where the fastest and best drivers figure out (between set up and driving skill) how to strap in and lay down more and more power.
Why should the elite class be handicapped to become more accesible to the masses?

2. If a slower class is needed, it seems we already have those (21.5, 17.5, 13.5)--and yet here we are discussing a shrinking TC class.

3. I think the solution to shinking turnouts lies in rekindling the BASICS of what make TC Racing cool in the first place--things like scale realism, the ability to race in a parking lot, adjustability, and killer speed/acceleration.
Glimmers of hope like WGT, F1, (and the Slash class in offroad), point to this fact.
Rules are rules, but like fences, rules can only manage the substance of what is already there.
For TC to flurish, we need a substantive change, not a topical re-arrangement of the same old, same old.

4. What might this mean?
*Well how about cheaper, simpler, more durable cars?
I've raced since TC started in the mid 90's, and while the cost (of time and money) to competitive has easily doubled, my enjoyment has not. It is much harder for me to field a winning car now (again in terms of time and money) than ever before. Is the excitement on the track somehow better, or more intense knowing you spent two to three times more than you used to?
*How about cheaper, longer life tires? A little less grip will balance out the field. Longer life and less cost, less frequent will bring more people in than a slower mod class (to say nothing about helping out those that run mod!)
*How about a greater choice of more realisic, less aero-serious bodies?
I know watching my Tamiya Alfa 155 cruise around the track atop my TA01 was a cool experience--one that I have yet to best, and will never forget.

--Brett Sisley
I agree 100%
Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I race touring cars (mod, stock). And if I feel the need to just have fun racing at a slower speed with realistic bodies, I race in the Tamiya M-Chassis class.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

you know whats best for mod?

not changing the rules every 5 minutes.

every time the rules change (which has been a lot since the post gp 3300 cell era)... it costs the guys running the class a lot of money.

now the cars can be over powered, like in offroad, it takes the electronics out of the equation to a large extent.

drop it back to 1 cell and it'll just open it up to all the esc of the week that stock seems to be susceptible to atm, batteries will become more important, etc, etc.
tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8nz View Post

Just my 2c
Mike
No, thanks.

Mazda 6s and fluorescent dish wheels for life !

if you like realistic cars, just buy die cast models, seriously.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
you know whats best for mod?

not changing the rules every 5 minutes.

every time the rules change (which has been a lot since the post gp 3300 cell era)... it costs the guys running the class a lot of money.

now the cars can be over powered, like in offroad, it takes the electronics out of the equation to a large extent.

drop it back to 1 cell and it'll just open it up to all the esc of the week that stock seems to be susceptible to atm, batteries will become more important, etc, etc.
This is one of the few sensible posts on this thread. Having too much power is the only way of making it about the drivers and not equipment. If all we want to see is Team drivers winning, bring on 1s

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
This is one of the few sensible posts on this thread. Having too much power is the only way of making it about the drivers and not equipment. If all we want to see is Team drivers winning, bring on 1s
I don't get this. I have gone to a lot of national races in the past, and mod has become hard get the cars around the track for the guys at the very top. Quite few just look like they're hanging on. So the solution to increased participation is even more out of control cars?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote