R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
Personally, I say run the same pack in both 12th and sedan. Limit the capacity and you'll limit the speeds by default.
I agree that driving strategy could be a nice thing to bring back. However, dumping a LiPo has a very good chance of destroying it, so that could become a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
any1 remember the '4cell experiment'?
In the US, didn't guys toy with that right as LiPo was starting to catch on? I think it lost steam 'cause people were sick of NiMH. I believe Japan does/did run 4 cell mod quite a bit. How'd it work out for them?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

They ruined the batteries, but it was 8 minute 4 cell. I don't think anyone is looking to go 8 minutes here.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Lower voltage just doubles the amp draw and heat, the reason it works so well in 1/12 is that the cars don't weigh much.
I am not sure you understand Ohms law but your statement is completely false.

I think that mod needs to come back as the new speedo's are killing TC spec classes!! Not sure if single cell is the answer but something to look at. I think the life voltage may be a better way to go.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
The LiFe batteries I have tested slip below 7v instantly when a load is applied.
The avg voltage during a discharge is below 6v @35 amps. LiFe is a definate alternative however the only way people are going to adopt them is if the rules change and make lipo illeagal.

Who will willing give up 7.4v for 6.6v?

I agree that something needs to change in order for TC to make a come back.
I also agree that all classes of TC need to be slower, this will accomplish 2 things.
1. It is easier for beginners to drive and hopefully keep in the class.
2. Force more advanced drivers to move up in class because they can't stand going slow.

I was/am in favor of 1s racing for all on-road but I also see the hurdles that have to be cleared to make this happen. LiFe might be a better alternative.

PS I have tested a mod 1s sedan and it works fine. Cars will need completely different set ups because it is so light. My car weighed in at 1230g with 1s.

It was fun to drive, just a little faster than current 13.5t speeds. The speed that most racers seem to want to run these days.
Sean what turn did you use? I would like to give it a try at my local track sometime.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #20

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

V=IR

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
I am not sure you understand Ohms law but your statement is completely false.

I think that mod needs to come back as the new speedo's are killing TC spec classes!! Not sure if single cell is the answer but something to look at. I think the life voltage may be a better way to go.
Electrical systems run more efficiently at higher voltage.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

1s touring would be awesome. as i stated in another thread all onroad should be 1s because you have 1/12, wgt, oval all running 1s why not everything else. here's a link to another 1s thread, http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ever-escs.html

1s, 4.5t, 6 minutes, roughly same speed as 13.5t 2s (1s is more punchy). 3.5t will run 5 minutes.

electronics fit on the chassis like a dream come true. equal weight distribution without all the lead.

Last edited by LOW ET; 12-04-2009 at 06:28 PM.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Funny that you guys have started this thread.
Here are some A123 26650 M1 cells that arrived yesterday for some testing.
They are just a bit rounder then a Quarter.
4 cells for AU$40 (US$36) including freight that is a bargain considering the abuse that these cells will take and their life expectancy.
Just need to squeeze 2 of them into the 12th scale (and TC) for some fun.
Attached Thumbnails
1S Mod Sedan-img_1071.jpg   1S Mod Sedan-img_1072.jpg  
Old 12-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I agree that driving strategy could be a nice thing to bring back. However, dumping a LiPo has a very good chance of destroying it, so that could become a problem.

In the US, didn't guys toy with that right as LiPo was starting to catch on? I think it lost steam 'cause people were sick of NiMH. I believe Japan does/did run 4 cell mod quite a bit. How'd it work out for them?
I havent' had any problems with my packs after they are dumped on the track. Running them a long time dumped or until the car won't move is really hard on them but just dumping and finishing a lap doesn't seem to be an issue.

I've only had two LiPo packs fail. Both were over a year old and when they puffed up I stopped using them. The cells aren't failing in a dangerous way anymore except in very rare instances. And it takes a lot of abuse to hurt the packs.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i understand that we need to do something to bring sedan racing back to where it used to be. but i really dont see how slowing them down will do it. around here there are 3 diffrent classes. 17.5 (stock) 13.5 (super stock) and open mod. why not just pick the class you feel you can handle. im sorry over the past 3 years ive sat here and watched these debaits. in the end it goes no where. brushless was supposed to be the great equalizer, even the playing field. i have yet to see it. hell right now its speed control of the week. was the spx then tekin rs, now this crc black dimond. atleast 200 a pop to be at the top of the class. and the sad thing is all these new speed controls are being made to push limits more speed, more power. i would be willing to bet that with a little time a 1s lipo sedan would be back up to the same speeds it is now. this is just my thoughts. sorry for the rant.

one more thought. if you want to slow the classes down even the field why not ask the people who make the speed controls to put a spec profile on then that is the same across the board? i for one dont want to have to spend more money on packs to go slower.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Only if you don't set the lipo cutoff correctly. People run 1/8th electric offroad buggies down to lipo cutoff all the time with no adverse effects on the batteries. And those cars draw WAY more power out of the cells than any mod TC could ever hope too.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So in 1/12 1S mod, what's keeping people from throwing 2.5's in their cars? Is it run time? And are the aggressive ESC's not providing an advantage here?

In that previous thread (which I foolishly dismissed), Rick said in their testing a 1S 3.5 was about the same as 2S 13.5. So is there any reason we shouldn't expect an aggressive ESC to work the same in this scenario as it currently does in the 13.5 class? Is run time the only thing keeping people from strapping in hotter motors in 1/12?

Part of me wants to find a solution to the current ESC scenario, though I'm not sure it would be any different in a 1S world. It does seem like it could help solve some issues with things getting too fast in general, though, and might revive the idea of a mod class. I'm no authority on the subject, just trying to work through some ideas.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #28
Tech Elite

keep in mind the 3.5t will only do 5 minutes and be faster then 13.5t 2s. the 4.5t will run with the 13.5t 2s and go the 6 minute run.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If with a 3.5 and 1s the cars only go about as fast as a 13.5 then doesn't that not really solve the "speedo of the week" stuff? The reason speedo of the week doesnt work in mod with 2s is because adding more motor doesn't necessarily make you faster if you can't put all the power down and control it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
Tech Elite

i look at 1s touring from a cost standpoint and not speed. $60 lipo vs. $125 lipo. three 1s packs equal $180 while three 2s packs equal $375.