R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #61
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
My nose doesn't work well so just what I've been told by my wife when she visited pre and post Paragon.
justanotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Actually Rosko there was only 4 people using Jack last night vs 11 I seen using SF. Maybe u should start racing on Tues night. Yeah it's a slow class but really it's no slower than stock touring was 8-10 years ago with 2400 and 3000 mah batteries and 27 turn motors. Actually it might be faster than that. Tires last 5-6 weeks and racing is tight. Lots of fun and a nice mid week rc fix.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I got a new can of Jack last night and compared it to the smell of Sticky Fingers and they did smell identical. Not sure why my old can of Jack smells completely different.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

is this stuff good with foam tires
cyclone x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone x View Post
is this stuff good with foam tires
yes
Old 12-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
how could u accurately test and know how good or bad sticky fingers is when most are probably running it on a track that is already saturated with another compound. i ran it on a track with jack and yet i turned the same lap times my car was a lot frier so i figured if you ran it on a sf only track i think it would be a lot less grip. Paragon, the good old days when people actually raced because of high grip levels now we put on super soft tires and light suspension to try and mimic what we had. now it seems like theres just a bunch of cry babies crying about everthing. we need the old school guys back, the pirates of rc racing who didnt give a heck about the smell of paragon, now we have the modern day sports player who cyrs and whines about eveerything.
That's what I'm talking about. I wish we could go back to the days of Paragon!!!!!
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default paragon

This has been debated in years past, but I'll share a little insight. Back in "the day" when every indoor track smelled like a paint shop, many people got headaches by being at the track for a short time. Some people got nosebleeds. Walking into a track which used paragon turned off far more people than any racers realized. So to all the racers who don't care about their health or anything else in their pursuit of toy car traction, think about the effects of paragon and motor spray (whose use with brushless is way down,) on everyone at the track.

I think that all traction compound should be banned. Have racers use "simple green" or something like that to clean the tires, use tire warmers, and be done with it. Yes you won't to able to run a 4.5 motor because of traction, but guess what, no else will either. If you have to use softer tires and lighter suspensions, then do that. But guess what, everyone will have to do that also.

Whatever solvents are in jack or sticky fingers are not good for you, and if no one used it, everyone would be at the same place.

I haven't even mentioned kids at the track because the solvents affect them much more than adults.

I'll stop being a crying baby now, but if you follow through on what some racers want, let's just bring back smoking at the track, why not??

Last edited by billjacobs; 12-11-2009 at 06:44 AM.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #68
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey Bill, I enjoy it when people paint their bodies in the doorway at the track too! That is awesome! I think we should all run hoses from our exhaust pipes inside, to keep it warm, too.
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #69
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
This has been debated in years past, but I'll share a little insight. Back in "the day" when every indoor track smelled like a paint shop, many people got headaches by being at the track for a short time. Some people got nosebleeds. Walking into a track which used paragon turned off far more people than any racers realized. So to all the racers who don't care about their health or anything else in their pursuit of toy car traction, think about the effects of paragon and motor spray (whose use with brushless is way down,) on everyone at the track.

I think that all traction compound should be banned. Have racers use "simple green" or something like that to clean the tires, use tire warmers, and be done with it. Yes you won't to able to run a 4.5 motor because of traction, but guess what, no else will either. If you have to use softer tires and lighter suspensions, then do that. But guess what, everyone will have to do that also.

Whatever solvents are in jack or sticky fingers are not good for you, and if no one used it, everyone would be at the same place.

I haven't even mentioned kids at the track because the solvents affect them much more than adults.

I'll stop being a crying baby now, but if you follow through on what some racers want, let's just bring back smoking at the track, why not??
Gotta live a little, I don't build snap models because I'm scared of the glue fumes.

Sweet jesus man all the smells are just part of the charm that goes along with rc! I mean, there's all kinds of solvents we play with and fumes we are exposed to being in this hobby. If you wanna run a green operation go for it, I'm keeping my stinking ass, gripping ass Ground Effects. Just be sure to leave your bonsai tree at home, I don't wanna be responsible for it.
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default chemicals and charm?

Indoor r/c is way down from years past, so the idea should be to try to attract more newbies. How exactly will newbie's be attracted when aspects of r/c have all of the charm of a car repair shop.

Again to each their own, but if I wanted to have a hobby with dangerous chemicals, I would take up smoking.

My point is simple, if no-one used compound, how would anyone be at a disadvantage? Oh wait, you would have to actually setup the cars instead of relying on sticky traction. We don't want that.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #71
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Indoor r/c is way down from years past, so the idea should be to try to attract more newbies. How exactly will newbie's be attracted when aspects of r/c have all of the charm of a car repair shop.

Again to each their own, but if I wanted to have a hobby with dangerous chemicals, I would take up smoking.

My point is simple, if no-one used compound, how would anyone be at a disadvantage? Oh wait, you would have to actually setup the cars instead of relying on sticky traction. We don't want that.
I don't think the smell of Paragon is the reason we see the numbers indoor dwindle, I would say it's attributed to the cost it takes to compete these days.

As far as having a shop full of dangerous chemicals it's inevitable in this hobby, it's just part of the gig. Do you paint your bodies with low voc latex paint?

While I agree set up goes a long way I don't think you could get a car to hook up without the aid of some sort of traction additives, and new guys that don't know a thing about set up aren't gonna be very inclined to stick with the hobby if their car won't stick to the track.
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

This thread is funny.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

A few years ago most tracks and "big" races went away from Paragon because of the odor, hoping to increase attendance. Now most run Jack or some other compound and the hobby still has problems attracting new racers. So to me traction compound is the least of our problems. I don't have any problem with the Paragon odor, sure after a 3-4 day event race I may get a headache, but I get those after racing outdoor for that long too. Jack after a weekend racing clogs my sinuses, causes nosebleeds, and gives headaches to me. If I had my choice I would run Paragon, I actually LIKE the smell. It reminds me it's carpet season!

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #74
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Hey Bill, I enjoy it when people paint their bodies in the doorway at the track too! That is awesome! I think we should all run hoses from our exhaust pipes inside, to keep it warm, too.
Yeah or even wen they are smoking a cigarette in the door way and they leave the door open so we can all smell the crap

What has been the price on the sticky finger?
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
A few years ago most tracks and "big" races went away from Paragon because of the odor, hoping to increase attendance. Now most run Jack or some other compound and the hobby still has problems attracting new racers. So to me traction compound is the least of our problems. I don't have any problem with the Paragon odor, sure after a 3-4 day event race I may get a headache, but I get those after racing outdoor for that long too. Jack after a weekend racing clogs my sinuses, causes nosebleeds, and gives headaches to me. If I had my choice I would run Paragon, I actually LIKE the smell. It reminds me it's carpet season!
Now that we are running rubber TC mostly at the track, the Paragon smell is not as strong as the old days. But you would not know this as you are humping around somewhere else
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote