R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #46
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenBeav View Post
there was something said about people who live in glass houses...

or who at least have CRC in their signature
How so? As a CRC driver I don't get a discount on Sticky Fingers, Gripper, or any other compound. When I ran TQ Engineering, then Associated, then Lucas Agitator, Trinity Revolver, Corally, original CarpetKnife then Speedmerchant Rev3, Rev4 and Rev4.5, I knew that Paragon was superior to the other crap on the market, 23+ years of racing 12th scale and that STILL hasn't changed.
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #47
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
How so? As a CRC driver I don't get a discount on Sticky Fingers, Gripper, or any other compound. When I ran TQ Engineering, then Associated, then Lucas Agitator, Trinity Revolver, Corally, original CarpetKnife then Speedmerchant Rev3, Rev4 and Rev4.5, I knew that Paragon was superior to the other crap on the market, 23+ years of racing 12th scale and that STILL hasn't changed.
I suspect it was a reference to the Black Diamond cost.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #48
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I like Paragon myself but I could understand a track with a hobby shop not wanting to use it. While we are all use to the smell it is a big turn-off to the general public (and some racers). Plus it seems most major carpet races are moving away from Paragon so it isn't good practice for big races.
I don't really agree with either of those points. Gripper tracks smell like turpentine factories on racedays, I don't know about non-racedays, because I'm not at the track for those. And Gripper clubrace traction levels never approach big race levels because the stuff doesn't stay in the carpet from raceday to raceday the way paragon does. So club race testing to me is still better with Paragon because it offers more traction, and therefore better simulates big race conditions.
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #49
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I suspect it was a reference to the Black Diamond cost.
Didn't buy one, don't have one now, and an ESC is a longterm use item, not a consumable like compound.........
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #50
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
I don't really agree with either of those points. Gripper tracks smell like turpentine factories on racedays, I don't know about non-racedays, because I'm not at the track for those. And Gripper clubrace traction levels never approach big race levels because the stuff doesn't stay in the carpet from raceday to raceday the way paragon does. So club race testing to me is still better with Paragon because it offers more traction, and therefore better simulates big race conditions.
My nose doesn't work well so just what I've been told by my wife when she visited pre and post Paragon.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #51
Tech Addict
 
wiscnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reedsburg,WI
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Dose anyone realy know what the stuff is? I don't know about Paragon but Sticky fingers and Jack both smell like Colman Lamp oil and it sure can't be much from most chemical bottles they atleast have a active ingredient lable on them.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this! :)
wiscnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #52
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
My nose doesn't work well so just what I've been told by my wife when she visited pre and post Paragon.
My wife and I have a simple understanding... I don't tell her what nail polish to wear and she doesn't tell me what tire dope to use
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #53
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,850
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
I agree bring back the paragon it doesn't smell near as bad as the diesel I use to put on my off-road tires. HAHA
Diesel fuel still doesn't smell as bad as the Zip Grip Free I was doping my SC10 tires with all day. Wow, 4 days later and they still stink.

Bring back the Paragon!
__________________
Serpent SRX8 electric
Serpent Cobra 811TE-E
Serpent S120LTR 17.5 1/12th and S100LTR Pro-10
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #54
Tech Addict
 
thisguy2849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 709
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Ok to answer everyones questions about what the difference between Sticky Fingers and Jack here is the answer.......You ready? THE PACKAGING As someone that packages it working for Epic thats the simple answer. Hope that clears things up. Sooooo keep up the good work in buying it so I can ship it out to you lol
thisguy2849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #55
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy2849 View Post
Ok to answer everyones questions about what the difference between Sticky Fingers and Jack here is the answer.......You ready? THE PACKAGING As someone that packages it working for Epic thats the simple answer. Hope that clears things up. Sooooo keep up the good work in buying it so I can ship it out to you lol
This doesn't sound right. They smell completely different. Unless it is the same as one of the other Corally additives. It doesn't smell like the TC-2 additive.

Last edited by or8ital; 12-08-2009 at 08:28 PM.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #56
Tech Addict
 
thisguy2849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 709
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Wow even when you say they are the same people still dont believe you. Trust me they are the same
thisguy2849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #57
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy2849 View Post
Wow even when you say they are the same people still dont believe you. Trust me they are the same
They smell completely different to me. We were passing them around to a few guys this weekend and they all said they smelled like different stuff (we were trying to figure out if it was the same). Maybe it changes smell over time?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #58
Tech Master
 
jkirkwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,232
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I'm having mixed results with the Sticky Fingers. Could be the traction came way up tonight and/or more people using it. Tonight in the 21.5 Trans-Am class faster lap by .1 and gained a full lap (8 sec laps) on my previous track record. Last week I swore I didn't have as much traction as normal. I didn't have any Jack to try out and see if I could match the lap times as I was getting with the SF.
__________________
SMC Racing | AKA Products | SANWA
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #59
Tech Addict
 
thisguy2849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 709
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I ran jack before Sf was released and I get the same results as I did before. Try putting each one a seperate NEW set of tires and then running laps with a random set of the 2 then run the other set and I bet you will have the same results from both sets nd you would eliminate the mental part of testing the products.
thisguy2849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #60
Tech Master
 
rosko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,068
Default

how could u accurately test and know how good or bad sticky fingers is when most are probably running it on a track that is already saturated with another compound. i ran it on a track with jack and yet i turned the same lap times my car was a lot frier so i figured if you ran it on a sf only track i think it would be a lot less grip. Paragon, the good old days when people actually raced because of high grip levels now we put on super soft tires and light suspension to try and mimic what we had. now it seems like theres just a bunch of cry babies crying about everthing. we need the old school guys back, the pirates of rc racing who didnt give a heck about the smell of paragon, now we have the modern day sports player who cyrs and whines about eveerything.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:03 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net