Community
Wiki Posts
Search

looking to get into onroad

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default looking to get into onroad

Hello all, I was looking to get into on road but dont really know what to get, i am interested in getting something that is close to complete because i do not have a whole lot of gear yet, so was thinking of maybe a vaterra, or tamiya but not exactly sure. Im also very interested in the forula 1 cars and there is a strong class for them at my local track. I know that is quite a huge range to go through but any help would be very appreciated.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chrsitain
Hello all, I was looking to get into on road but dont really know what to get, i am interested in getting something that is close to complete because i do not have a whole lot of gear yet, so was thinking of maybe a vaterra, or tamiya but not exactly sure. Im also very interested in the forula 1 cars and there is a strong class for them at my local track. I know that is quite a huge range to go through but any help would be very appreciated.
You will get as many answers for this as there are stars in the sky.

The best suggestion you will get is, to purchase what is run at the track you intend to run at for a number of very good reasons. Parts support at the track/LHS is also very important.

Thunder Tiger, HPI, Vaterra, AE/Apex, Tamiya all have RTR models that are under $300.

Setup help and parts support being the 2 most important. You really don't want to have a Sakura, not that there is anything wrong with a Sakura, if everyone is running AE or Xray. It will be just easier for you if you have something that everyone else is running.

Long term running costs is something very few people consider when making their first TC purchase. XRay parts are generally in the $8 range for (1) arm,steering knuckle,castor block etc., but breakage is low. Carbon reinforced Tamiya parts are similar in price, $11 for a pack of (1) Fr arm,(1) Rr arm, while the TB series of parts are more economical and softer. AE parts are inexpensive.

Ask around at the track, this time of year there are decent used chassis's being sold in the pits for a reasonable price.