Wiki Posts
Search

TF-5 Belt Drive 'Stallion' KYOSHO

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default TF-5 Belt Drive 'Stallion' KYOSHO

anyone ever run a TF-5 Belt Drive 'Stallion' kyosho car?
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/cars/in...part_num=30022
Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have ran one now for 4 and half years and love it. The chassis is a little wide but it has all the adjustments that new car now offers. I have ran lipos in it since buying it with lightwieght electronics and it has nearly perfect balance. It weighs in a 1415g.

Great car just the front spool is a little weak. Went through 3 of them last year. Just wore them out. The rear diff is 2 and half years old. Smooth as a baby butt once I went with carbide balls.

Hope that help,
Joe
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

I've been looking at it for awhile now that I went with a RT5, but I cant justify $549+shipping for a old car. Doesnt seem like anyone runs them either, so it'll be hard to get good set up info unless your good at that sorta thing yourself. Looks nice though with all those red bits!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vr6cj
I've been looking at it for awhile now that I went with a RT5, but I cant justify $549+shipping for a old car. Doesnt seem like anyone runs them either, so it'll be hard to get good set up info unless your good at that sorta thing yourself. Looks nice though with all those red bits!
There is a whole thread on here devoted to the latest Kyosho touring cars (both shaft & belt). The "Shin" version of the Stallion is the latest production model from Kyosho. It's a little more narrow w/ a different motor location. Of course it's now a couple years old too...

My best friend runs the standard stallion at the local parking lot races and it's served him very well. Nice & tough and doesn't require many hop-ups. Kinda funny though that a near $600 car doesn't come with alloy upper bulkheads, out-drives or lay-shaft holders (this is why I run Tamiya). The car definitely needs the alloy lay-shaft holders.

Also the center one-way hop-up option is poorly designed so don't buy it. The one-way bearing rides on the original lay shaft that has a hole drilled for a cross pin. This leads to early failure of the one-way bearing.

Here is the Shin chassis shown laying on top of a standard Stallion chassis: