R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-05-2002, 06:53 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default kopropo lap counting system

Anyone have experienced with Kopropo lap Counting system ARC210? How it performce during race?
KopiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 03:38 PM   #2
Tech Elite

If it's the same one they used at SVM here in Los Angeles area, it works fine, but I hate having to provide power for the transponder via a 3rd channel or a wire harness. Most of us don't have 3 channel radios, and splitting out the power just for the transponder is a major pain in the @ss. They've since changed over to the AMB system which has the same powering problem and the transponders are twice as expensive.
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:27 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I thought XXL's and most new style recievers come with the battery/dsc connection. Isn't that where you put the transponder power?

Just curious- we don't have the AMBr/c system yet....
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 12:51 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
I thought XXL's and most new style recievers come with the battery/dsc connection. Isn't that where you put the transponder power?

Underline the word "new style" receivers. I use a 2 channel KO Propo Mars and have several receivers that work just fine. My choices are rewiring (cheapest but messy), adding another channel (KO makes one but it ads weight), or buying a new receiver and/or possibly a whole new radio system (not worth it). It's cool having your personal transponder number of course, but it's not exactly cost friendly to the racers, who already shell out big bucks just to try to race competitively.
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 12:56 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

My Local club has just bought the new KO system and run it for the first time last week. Apparently there was a problem with some of the cheaper receivers (I think iut was Acoms) because they dont have power coming back out of the receiver to power the TD1 units. Apparently the KO rep had a number of 'y' adapter leads that sit in between the speedo and receiver to supply an external feed. I guess if weve got them in the UK you should be able to get them in the US!!

Rich
chownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 07:40 AM   #6
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bigdogracing: I thought the battery/dsc port was only for providing power into the receiver for the servo. I didn't think it could be used as a way to power the personal transponders.

I could be wrong though. I haven't taken a close look at the cars of the few people who use the personal transponders around here.

Anybody, correct me if I'm mistaken.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:55 AM   #7
dw
Tech Adept

the +ve and -ve wires for all channels/ battery input are common.
It is only the signal wire that is different between channels.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 12:52 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing

You could....but if you run nitro you need the plug the reciever pack in there somewhere too. Hence the splitter or 3rd channel.

LooseCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:48 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It's been awhile since this thread was active...Looking hard at this system and would like to know if anybody has any further experience with it??? Our club needs a system and we're looking at all options. Please let me know your experiences with it. Thanks
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:16 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

RCpigz- I know this isn't what you want to hear, but spend the extra dough for the AMB. Here is why I say so........

1) each member buying the transponders helps pay for the system

2) the KO mis-counts/over-counts at least once per race

3) For electric------ JR recievers need to use a y-harness (Nitro all 2 channel recievers need the harness

4) 4cell 1/12th cars will need a dedicated reciever ack just to keep counting for the entire race (usually quits about 6 min. into the race)

5) the Transponder wires become fragile with repeated use

6) if you sell the Ko transponders as personnal transponders your racers will still have to switch crystals in the transponders which is a bigger pain in the butt than using track provided transponders...

7) When you finally get sick and tired of the KO and decide to upgrade to the AMB, who will buy the KO from you???

8) You must have a computer running windows 95/98, it will not run on a newer computer....

9) Support is very limited for the KO..... with the amb if you can't get ahold of amb there are thousands of tracks that run it so there are thousands of experts in the US alone.....

10) AMB has sent out their technician to tracks to help them out with the system .....

11) I love KO, but what the F where they thinking!!!!!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow...Thanks Impact. After being on the phone all morning I'm pretty sure we won't go KO. Sad...but even the software folks are saying the KO just doesn't work well. I was just on the phone with a shop that mentioned the JR problem...thanks for clarifying. Again, the value of RCTECH site is clear !!!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote