R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #46
Tech Regular

i want to ban everything the competitors in front of me have!!!

thats the feeling i get of all these "ban this product" threads

expensive stuff has been made all the time in this hobby, batteries, motors, cars, esc`s, radios..

if the ae esc is too expensive for you, just dont buy that new $500 car, stick with your old one and get the esc instead..
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Tickle I'm pretty sure it has been outlawed at our track Temporarily until it is available to everyone.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
The new speedo has already been banned at my local track until after Jan. 1st. It's not being banned because of price, because if it was slow there would be no ban. It's being banned because of it's performance. Period! From what I have read the complaints are coming from guys who are sponsored and are not used to paying full price. They will just have to wait until their sponsor upgrades or pay up. For the rest of us, we always have to pay up. I remember buying an LRP because my Novak was slow, then I had to buy a Tekin because my LRP was slow. In 17.5 class a little extra makes a big diffence, even for a slow guy like me. In my opinion, there should be a limit on everything or nothing. To isolate one manufacture over an other is unfair. It would be banning something because your pissed off that someone has something better than you do. Not for the better of everyone like a spec tire rule does. I know for a fact that if the situation was reversed at our track and Tekin had the big advantage, there would be no ban. You see alot of red flashing lights under the bodies at our races.
Careful Tickle! There's more than one person VOLUNTEERING to operate your home track and you are not respecting their efforts with pointed comments like that.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #49
Suspended

I don't think it should be banned becasue of performance. It should not have been allowed at teh indoor champs because of availability.

I had the money in my hand to buy one! I was actually competetive with some very fast guys early on. I was running with and beating one of the guys that tied for the stock national title earlier this year.

Once the new speedo went in his car, it went in the other fast guys car. One of the guys went 2 laps faster, the other guy went one lap faster. It took a good .4 to .5 seconds off their laps.

THere were like 3 available for sale. They got bought quickly!

When it becomes more available, we can have this discussion. Right now there is no "choice" to run one or not. You can't get one!

If you have one, go ahead run it. This is a hobby. We are playing with toy cars. If you need to win by running something that not everyone has, then do it. That is just lying to yourself.

***** The GATE - Live Nude Jumpin Jacks *****
Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to munrath

I wasn't going to comment but after reading this stuff, I find it amusing.

I don't understand the band on this or any device for club racing. Nobody is getting paid to win a club race so why do you guys care. Are you worried about someone beating you who is slower..... I mean really what does winning a club race mean other then bragging rights for the week.

So somebody is lucky to get one of these speedo's and your going to turn them away, becuase it's banned from the local track.. Now in todays ecomony I'm not sure that's a smart move from a track owner. You turn down the $15 - $25 entry fee, you turn down the parts and or supplies that this person buys from the track, and you turn down the fact that the local hobby shop could order it and make money off of it once supply is available. All because you get beat or you can't afford one... hmmm

People are so afraid about getting beat rather then working on setup, helping others and having fun. The purpose for most of the factory and or 100% sponsored drivers is to test setup changes, prototype parts, bodies, batteries, tires, and to help others, promote their products, etc....

I could see an organization like ROAR, Snowbirds, IIC, NEGS, etc, looking at this from a competitive nature, and or cost to keep things on more of a level playing field where people are getting bonus checks, and or pay checks for their win, but a club race.. cry me a river

If some kid who is pretty fast on a normal basis, spends $350 to beat me then more power to him or her. Racing isn't cheap, nor was it ever intended to be. Technology changes and this month it's Black Diamond, next month, KO, or Tekin or LRP.... Who cares for a club race.

If you get beat by a speedo in a club race and you were the fastest racer before that person spent $350; suck it up and take second or spend the money, or wait until your sponsor has updated hardware/firmware, or pay some kid at the track to take them out... LOL hahahahaha

Just my .02

Races for 2015:
PNB, AMS, E-Nats Warm-up, E-Nats, LCRC North East Challenge, RAC, LCRC Halloween, Badlands, ROAR Region 2 Series, and Local Club Racing

Last edited by munrath; 11-30-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #51
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I saw Jeff Cuffs posted about this ESC being banned at Horsham, and also included the new Castle ESC if it's been modded for 1S. Was that ESC also found to be faster than the others?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Ban it due to price? No. Heck, any mfg can put whatever price they want, if it's too much, don't buy it.

Kyosho charges nearly 3 times what HB charges for a 1/8 buggy, should that be banned?

However, I"m not agreeance with the turbo/timing capabilities that some esc's have. That is, until every esc has it.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Why ban it? If someone is dumb enough to buy it thinking it'll make him/her win races, then that's their problem. I've seen a couple that have bought it at that price. If those were smart enough, they would just don't buy it and force the place selling it to either stop carrying the brand or drop the price. I have contacted AE and got a reply from the owner, but he hasn't replied back. I wasn't interested in this ESC, but asked if he could make a few ESC for me. Good luck to those who have bought the AE at the current price and I'll be looking out for it on the for sale thread or Ebay shortly when you figure out the ESC didn't help you win the big race.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
The new speedo has already been banned at my local track until after Jan. 1st.

It's not being banned because of price, because if it was slow there would be no ban. It's being banned because of it's performance. Period!

From what I have read the complaints are coming from guys who are sponsored and are not used to paying full price. They will just have to wait until their sponsor upgrades or pay up. For the rest of us, we always have to pay up.

I remember buying an LRP because my Novak was slow, then I had to buy a Tekin because my LRP was slow. In 17.5 class a little extra makes a big diffence, even for a slow guy like me.

In my opinion, there should be a limit on everything or nothing. To isolate one manufacture over an other is unfair. It would be banning something because your pissed off that someone has something better than you do. Not for the better of everyone like a spec tire rule does.

I know for a fact that if the situation was reversed at our track and Tekin had the big advantage, there would be no ban. You see alot of red flashing lights under the bodies at our races.

Tickle you can say what you want but im not looking out for the the tekin guys im looking out for the racers that support my track. I dont want to piss them off when the one guy that could get there hands on one puts a lap on everyone and that forces everyone to go buy a $350 dollar speedo. There not available right now where everyone can get there hands on one. I witness what went down at cleveland this weekend and you should be thanking me that im am doing this.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #55
Tech Apprentice

Lets be serious now. We are talking about banning an ESC due to its costs. Its not fair to everyone if they cant have one. No one said life would be fair. Racing isn't fair. In all forms of racing money buys speed. Then we hear people say they could not get one. If you look around there are many different motors, batteries and speed controls that are on back order. So is it fair that I have the newest and most powerful 1s pack made and you don't. According to most of you it would not be fair.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I saw Jeff Cuffs posted about this ESC being banned at Horsham, and also included the new Castle ESC if it's been modded for 1S. Was that ESC also found to be faster than the others?
The ban on the mamba was due to hardware modding. You cant mod your motors you shouldnt be able to mod your speedo by changing chips.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #57
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin660 View Post
Lets be serious now. We are talking about banning an ESC due to its costs. Its not fair to everyone if they cant have one. No one said life would be fair. Racing isn't fair. In all forms of racing money buys speed. Then we hear people say they could not get one. If you look around there are many different motors, batteries and speed controls that are on back order. So is it fair that I have the newest and most powerful 1s pack made and you don't. According to most of you it would not be fair.

Availability you cant get your hands on them.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
It's new, as in only a few hours old. Check the USVTA thread, look for RobK's post. I feel it was a wise decision. Since the dawn of touring car racing, the slower classes like stock didn't have adjustable timing, and VTA was intended to be a slow class. There's no reason a VTA running 21.5 power should be wearing tires out in two-three race days. This rule helps curb that issue.
There is no need for a $350 ESC for what should be a fun class that anyone can get involved with. That's asinine. If you wan to run an esc like that, 17.5, 13.5 and all the other classes are for you. It's hard enough to keep a lid on the regular $200 escs everybody is running.

These VTA cars should be slower and easy to drive and FUN. Again, this is only for Trans Am. I think you should have at it for anything else...

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 11-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to munrath

So how is this different from when people were running brushed motors and certain teams got special brushes, or the best cells, or prototype parts and put a lap on the competition. Nobody cried then, we just put up with it, until we either buy it, beg a team driver or it became available to the public. The difference is cost.

Races for 2015:
PNB, AMS, E-Nats Warm-up, E-Nats, LCRC North East Challenge, RAC, LCRC Halloween, Badlands, ROAR Region 2 Series, and Local Club Racing
Old 11-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #60
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Should it be banned? Absolutely not.

Will I buy one? Absolutely not.

I will run Tekin this winter and I WILL win at the local level and if I go to any big races, I WILL be competitive.

Come springtime, I'll be back to nitro.
Closed Thread