R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Questions?? tto1 one way spool

hi everyone im thinking of getting a one way spool for my tto1, but im not drifting. im an onroad racer. if i do get it do i need it for rear and the front or what? im confused. and what would i get, beacause online shopping stores has the optional ones with some kind of 26 lb or something. i wnt something that give me a good punch with good top end.
thanx for your replies
mytto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytto1 View Post
hi everyone im thinking of getting a one way spool for my tto1, but im not drifting. im an onroad racer. if i do get it do i need it for rear and the front or what? im confused. and what would i get, beacause online shopping stores has the optional ones with some kind of 26 lb or something. i wnt something that give me a good punch with good top end.
thanx for your replies
Don't understand what you expect to get from a one way spool in a TT-01. I personally don't know what the weight has to do with anything but I have a front one way in my TT-01 that I use to race but now drift. What kind of racing are you doing? spec class? You should read through the TT-01 forum for some great gearing and upgrade tips. Before I locked my rear diff making it a spool to drift, I had a rear ball diff and a front one way.
TLR 22 2.0
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiantii View Post
Don't understand what you expect to get from a one way spool in a TT-01. I personally don't know what the weight has to do with anything but I have a front one way in my TT-01 that I use to race but now drift. What kind of racing are you doing? spec class? You should read through the TT-01 forum for some great gearing and upgrade tips. Before I locked my rear diff making it a spool to drift, I had a rear ball diff and a front one way.
yes the spec class. if i do get the one way spool do i have to get the swing shaft or can i leave it with stock dog bones? and what do the rear ball diffs do?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
i wnt something that give me a good punch with good top end.
I think you really want another motor.
I wouldnt go spending money upgrading a TT01, apart from the basics: bearings & metal centre-driveshaft.
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
is a one way spool and a one way unit the exact same thing or are they different?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
thanx for your replies
Being a on-road racer. One-way's better used on agressive drivers for traction off corners. One-way you loose 50% of braking. You loose front brakes., rear brake only.

Want more punch! depends on class you're in. Modify motor or stock with less turns or lower KV, with lipo's will do you fine.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Being a on-road racer. One-way's better used on agressive drivers for traction off corners. One-way you loose 50% of braking. You loose front brakes., rear brake only.

Want more punch! depends on class you're in. Modify motor or stock with less turns or lower KV, with lipo's will do you fine.
thanx, but if i brake too hard what will happen? will i spin out? i have some really good high grip racing tires.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Tech Master

I've chatted with you in another thread. But I dont remember what you're running for ESC and motor. So, what are you running?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
I've chatted with you in another thread. But I dont remember what you're running for ESC and motor. So, what are you running?
im currently using the havok ecs with a 10.5.,and about that braking, and we are talking about the one wayy unit right? ya but if i brake too hard with it what will happen?

Last edited by mytto1; 11-28-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii

What will happen with your braking is dependent on your setup. ie your droop settings, shock settings all these things come into play. No one on this forum will know what will happen to your car without knowing what your setup is. I dont know if you have figured it out yet but when your setting up your car for the most part it is alot of trial and error to get the behavior of the car you want. This is my TT-01 set up for racing, its now setup for drifting. It has aluminum drive shaft, universal axles, bearings all around, ball diff rear, front one way, chasis center brace, 3racing upgraded carbon fiber chasis, medium springs rear, hard springs front, 40 weight oil front, 35 weight oil rear, brushless motor 17.5 Tinity.

TLR 22 2.0
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"

Last edited by dfiantii; 11-28-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Replacing picture
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
What will happen with your braking is dependent on your setup. ie your droop settings, shock settings all these things come into play. No one on this forum will know what will happen to your car without knowing what your setup is. I dont know if you have figured it out yet but when your setting up your car for the most part it is alot of trial and error to get the behavior of the car you want. This is my TT-01 set up for racing, its now setup for drifting. It has aluminum drive shaft, universal axles, bearings all around, ball diff rear, front one way, chasis center brace, 3racing upgraded carbon fiber chasis, medium springs rear, hard springs front, 40 weight oil front, 35 weight oil rear, brushless motor 17.5 Tinity.

niceand thanx,but if i want to ugrade to one way unit in the front, are there any other parts i need to buy to make it fit?people are saying that i need the universal swing shafts for the front and some kind of universal outer diff. can you give me the list of things that i need to make it work?and about the universal swing shafts...when i go online i see a universal swing shaft ver. 2, but the thing is i want to buy the dog bones in blue but it doesnt come in blue it comes in black. then i see a universal shaft not swing shaft but comes with a aluminum blue dogbone, will that work too or no......if it does can i just replace the swing shaft with that?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
im currently using the havok ecs with a 10.5.,and about that braking, and we are talking about the one wayy unit right? ya but if i brake too hard with it what will happen?
I'm sure one-way spool, one-way clutch, or one way mid shaft pulley does the same thing. Other manufacture call it differently they all does the same operation.

Running one-way your driving style must be aggressive. One way gives you more traction coming out the corner. If you have your Havoc programmed correctly it should be easy. Just one question? How much drag brakes you program at?? Most aggressive drivers hardly use braking on corner.

Give some more info on your Havoc programing. thing may help you, and understand.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
Tech Adept

We use to have a spec TT01 class that allowed only tamiya black sport tuned motors. I ran a spool in the front of my TT01, that way I was able to use the brakes without worrying about looping out, and the main reason, I was able to drive hard on the throttle out of the corners earlier than the others. Payed off too as my car was not the fastest down the back stretch but would walk away thru the infield. Makes the car feel more aggresive.
To just try it quickly go stuff some silly putty in the gear diff to lock it up and try it out, if you dont like it just pull the silly putty out.
I believe the diff locker I used was from 3 racing, on ebay.
boyntoncyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyntoncyclone View Post
We use to have a spec TT01 class that allowed only tamiya black sport tuned motors. I ran a spool in the front of my TT01, that way I was able to use the brakes without worrying about looping out, and the main reason, I was able to drive hard on the throttle out of the corners earlier than the others. Payed off too as my car was not the fastest down the back stretch but would walk away thru the infield. Makes the car feel more aggresive.
To just try it quickly go stuff some silly putty in the gear diff to lock it up and try it out, if you dont like it just pull the silly putty out.
I believe the diff locker I used was from 3 racing, on ebay.
Interesting!!! Silly Putty!!! I use Ofna silicone Diff-Lock 120,000 weight oil to lock up the diff. Geuss to each his own!!!! lol!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
I'm sure one-way spool, one-way clutch, or one way mid shaft pulley does the same thing. Other manufacture call it differently they all does the same operation.

Running one-way your driving style must be aggressive. One way gives you more traction coming out the corner. If you have your Havoc programmed correctly it should be easy. Just one question? How much drag brakes you program at?? Most aggressive drivers hardly use braking on corner.

Give some more info on your Havoc programing. thing may help you, and understand.
im at 0 drag brakes right now. i dont use them. my throttle curve selection is set to expo, and my brake frequency is set to 8 KHz which is the smoothest and lightest brake mode, i hardly use a lot of brakes.....just a little as you can see.