R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Thumbs up Rubber vs Foam on carpet indoor

Hey guys, a new indoor track is going to open and we are going to run on carpet. Rules are being debated if we are going to allow rubber or foam for Stock, Super Stock and Mod.

My question is, what are the pro and cons of both types of tires specifically on indoor (air-conditioned) track. What are major events doing?

Here is a teaser of our last off-road indoor race:

Thanks for your input guys!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
Hey guys, a new indoor track is going to open and we are going to run on carpet. Rules are being debated if we are going to allow rubber or foam for Stock, Super Stock and Mod.

My question is, what are the pro and cons of both types of tires specifically on indoor (air-conditioned) track. What are major events doing?

Here is a teaser of our last off-road indoor race:

Thanks for your input guys!
Check out www.rclive.com and watch the US Indoor Champs. Rubber tires for sedan if pretty hot right now and ofcourse foam for pan cars.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatterson26 View Post
Check out www.rclive.com and watch the US Indoor Champs. Rubber tires for sedan if pretty hot right now and ofcourse foam for pan cars.
It depends. Right now, I think the Grand Slam spec JACO foam tires are becoming hot at my track, namely because the tires are pre-trued and only $10 a pair. That beats rubber tires out of the water in terms of cost. And running foam on carpet will make your tires last for quite a while before changing out.

I guess it all depends on what track you go to and what the crowd runs there. But right now, when we pull off the carpet and go asphalt, rubber tires all the way. When the carpet comes down, it is a healthy mix of foam and rubber.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
It depends. Right now, I think the Grand Slam spec JACO foam tires are becoming hot at my track, namely because the tires are pre-trued and only $10 a pair. That beats rubber tires out of the water in terms of cost. And running foam on carpet will make your tires last for quite a while before changing out.
If you wanna be fast on foam you need to true them down even more then they come packaged. And at "race ready" size, you are pretty much 2 runs and done. So at $20 a SET you get 2 runs. You can use them further, but they fall off time wise quickly. At big races, foams are pretty much 1 run done.

Compared to rubber tires, that's not really beating anything out of the water. For rubber 28's or 32's. You get between 6-8 good runs on carpet at $30 a SET. After that they fall off time wise but not as drastic as foam tires. I normally run a set of Sorex 28's about 12 runs before they are practice tires.

In a nut shell, the world seems to race rubber tire carpet and organizations are trying to kill foam TC. So I would say run rubber.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I think it depends on the mix of the racers talent level at your track. New guys will have a very hard time getting the car around on rubber tires unless you have some very good guys that are willing to help them a lot with set up and even then, they are hard to drive fast. Foam tires may be more expensive in the beginning but much, much easier to get up to speed. You can use the Jaco spec Lilac foam tires and run them right out of the box and be plenty fast for club raacing. The fast guys will still be fast and the new guys will have a better experience in the beginning.

1/12 scale will always be on foam so you'll need the tire truing equipment anyway. $30 for 12 runs on a set of rubber tires sounds ridiculous to me. That's three race days worth of qualifying and mains. I can get that easy out of a set of foam tires for less and have more fun at the same time. Rotate the tires each run and alternate between two sets and you can make them last a long time.

If you have'nt figured it out by now my suggestion is foam tires.

Nice track by the way!
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

from a $$$ you cant go wrong with rubber, at my local track guys are getting four plus race weekends out of jaco blues with little to no fall off in lap times. rubber tire carpet is not that much different then asphalt racing. at my local track there basically is not a foam class anymore . . .i think every track has it own fav class let them run both and let the racers decide . . .
Old 11-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
I think it depends on the mix of the racers talent level at your track. New guys will have a very hard time getting the car around on rubber tires unless you have some very good guys that are willing to help them a lot with set up and even then, they are hard to drive fast. Foam tires may be more expensive in the beginning but much, much easier to get up to speed. You can use the Jaco spec Lilac foam tires and run them right out of the box and be plenty fast for club raacing. The fast guys will still be fast and the new guys will have a better experience in the beginning.

1/12 scale will always be on foam so you'll need the tire truing equipment anyway. $30 for 12 runs on a set of rubber tires sounds ridiculous to me. That's three race days worth of qualifying and mains. I can get that easy out of a set of foam tires for less and have more fun at the same time. Rotate the tires each run and alternate between two sets and you can make them last a long time.

If you have'nt figured it out by now my suggestion is foam tires.

Nice track by the way!
Thanks for all the input guys! Keep it coming!

I got a question since I mainly race TC nitro. What width of the foam tires (front/rear) good for electric TC? Or does it depend on track conditions and what not.

Also, this might help give a more accurate input from you guys. When we last raced, I noticed that it was quite cold in there, and if I aint mistaken, rubber tires work better warm. Will this be another factor into leaning towards foam?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I think the sedan foams are 28mm wide all the way around, it isn't like nitro where you have wider rears.
And my vote is for foam, especially since the spec Lilac compound is out. The double pinks we were all running was true them to nothing and run 3 times(if you were lucky) due to the amount of traction they gave. IMO rubber tire racing was revived due to laziness of the racer. R/C has been going the route of less work, more play with brush-less and lipo, and now rubber. Just one less thing for a racer to do. Rubber is a lot harder to set-up for a new racer, when I owned a track I saw new racer after new racer come in, slide around the track for 2-3 hours then leave due to the car not being drivable for them. The few that stuck with it never were happy with the way the cars handled. After me and Drew talked them into trying foam (which they didn't even want to do due to what they read on here) they loved the way the cars ran. But that was too late for my business and I went under.
I will say this though, all the major races are dominated "now" by rubber, everything except ROAR Carpet Nationals were they are about even.
One more thing I will add is that rubber tires will wear the carpet faster, it just tears the fibers out of the carpet.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

If you are coming from 1/10 nitro, you will not have any trouble running rubber tire. I feel driving style with a 1/10 nitro on-road is quite similar to driving a rubber tire car. This is my first winter driving electric and I don't feel that I am at a disadvantage from not running it before. Others feel that foam is easier to drive for a newbie and it is but I think when someone is first getting into the hobby and dropping $1k to get started, the additional accessories need to run foam might turn them off not including chunking $10-12 tires every time you set the car on the track.

So my suggestion is if you have a good number of racers that are committed to the hobby then go with the foam but if you are trying to get new guys into it then run rubber. Find a tire that works for your track and make that a spec tire. It just makes things easier that way.

BTW that track looks badass. You guys should have a blast running any tire TC.
Stlfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Foam tire pro's:
-great traction
-cheaper per set

cons:
-you need trueing equipment to use them properly
-limited amount of runs per set(2-3 in real race trim)
-more maintenance with respect to the tires and the car(constantly adjusting ride height, droop, rollout ect., not easy for new racers)
-if you chunk them they are garbage

Rubber tire pro's
-many many many runs per set(even after their intial grip goes away they can be run for a lot longer)
-set the car and forget it(droop ride height ect., unless making set-up changes)
-no extra equipment to lug around or purchase

cons:
-can be more difficult at times to set-up(I honestly have never had this problem)
-more expencive than foam tire(less per actual run)

I think rubber is more of a drivers class. Foam has all the traction in the world so its easier to find pace where rubber is more to do with the drivers ability to find the grip using set-up ect. You can't drive a foam car like a rubber car either it just doesn't respond well to it.

Its all preference you could debate the 2 all day long. Good luck with your decision

Real men race MODIFIED!!

Last edited by JoeGlover; 11-28-2009 at 09:18 PM.
JoeGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGlover View Post
Foam tire pro's:
-great traction
-cheaper per set

cons:
-you need trueing equipment to use them properly
-limited amount of runs per set(2-3 in real race trim)
-more maitenance with respect to the tires and the car(constantly adjusting ride height, droop, rollout ect., not easy for new racers)
-if you chunk them they are garbage

Rubber tire pro's
-many many many runs per set(even after their intial grip goes away they can be run for a lot longer)
-set the car and forget it(droop ride height ect., unless maiking set-up changes)
-no extra equipment to lug around or purchase

cons:
-can be more difficult at times to set-up(I honestly have never had this problem)
-more expencive than foam tire(less per actual run)

I think rubber is more of a drivers class. Foam has all the traction in the world so its easier to find pace where rubber is more to do with the drivers ability to find the grip using set-up ect. You can't frive a foam car like a rubber car either it just doesn't respond well to it.

Its all preference you could debate the 2 all day long. Good luck with your decision

+ 1 on what Mr Gluver just said.
Don`t blame the car, when you know you can`t drive.
Sponsor, me , myself and I.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Tech Master

+1 for foams
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Tech Master

foams on carpet rubber on the asphalt. its funny how people say rubber is cheaper than foams but they dont care to spend 40 a week on rubber tires on asphalt, so really they are about the same
Old 11-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Tech Master

when people compare rubber and foam they seem to only compare the two on carpet when outdoor asphalt rubber tire is a big part of racing in the summer. lets run the tire on what it was designed to run on.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
foams on carpet rubber on the asphalt. its funny how people say rubber is cheaper than foams but they dont care to spend 40 a week on rubber tires on asphalt, so really they are about the same
On carpet I run one set of rubber tires for 4 weeks and that is with racing twice and practicing once each week. Rubber tire on carpet is the cheapest form of on-road racing without question. Locally it is also the most competitive class by far.