Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
Tech Master

do you run rubber tire on asphalt?
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Another thing to ask is, is your track running a spec tire? If not you can go broke with the tire of the week deal. One racer goes faster on a new brand A tire, then everyone jumps to that till the same racer goes faster still with a scuffed brand B tire, then everyone jumps to that tire and start sanding rubber off of new tires. I've actually seen this happen!! The only way rubber is more cost effective is only allowing one type of tire at the track. At the last carpet nationals I ran both rubber and foam and spent more on 3 sets of rubber tires than I did on 4 sets of foams. With my car, I was faster on fresh rubber than broken in rubber, so, I ran new when I could. $30 a set for 2 runs on each set to be competitive. But I do understand those were inferior tires than what most racers run at the home track. At the track I run at now we limit the tires to JACO blues only, now if I wanted to be an ass I could unglue these from the wheels and start playing with different inserts to make even more changes to the handling, but I wouldn't do that for a club race, but I did see this happen at the Nat's. So my question is, how do you tech tire inserts? I know you open your tires at the tech table and ROAR puts a sticker on the wheel, but after that? Heck I could put whatever compound I want on those wheels then, as long as it looks the same.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
now if I wanted to be an ass I could unglue these from the wheels and start playing with different inserts to make even more changes to the handling, but I wouldn't do that for a club race, but I did see this happen at the Nat's. So my question is, how do you tech tire inserts? I know you open your tires at the tech table and ROAR puts a sticker on the wheel, but after that? Heck I could put whatever compound I want on those wheels then, as long as it looks the same.
Mark the interior sidwall with a paint pen, then if someone swithes the rubber the paint will show. Mark both sides to keep people from tampering with the insert. That is what NASCAR does to us on the late model classes to make sure me run the handout 'scuff' tire.

If the problem is bad enough impound the tires between heats and allow racers the get their tires for prep 30 or so min. before the race.
bboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherKee View Post
If you wanna be fast on foam you need to true them down even more then they come packaged. And at "race ready" size, you are pretty much 2 runs and done. So at $20 a SET you get 2 runs. You can use them further, but they fall off time wise quickly. At big races, foams are pretty much 1 run done.
That is not the case with the NEGS spec tire. They don't run as well trued all the way down. The guy who won the stock class at the Halloween Classic had his tires pretty big and only ran a couple sets all weekend.

Rubber is more of a challenge to drive and setup. Which to me makes it more fun than foam. Foam can be fun too though. To be competitive in both classes you are going to spend about the same.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i do both and foam is faster and alot more fun for me
cyclone x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

First thing is where is this new track?

Now, from what I have seen in the years I have been racing at a track that has been around for over 20 years is that you have to be diverse and ready to allow new classes because as we have seen 1/12 scale and 1/10 scale touring car go and come back. What I mean is at our track there was a day to race oval. Another day to race onroad touring car(rubber & foam), 1/12, 1/18, GT, F1. Another day to race off road foam which has the biggest turnout. He also held big races on different days for each of these classes. The trick for a track owner is to cater to your customers regardless of what they buy because they are the ones that will keep you in business. Example on a race day if there at least 5 cars then that class can be run, that way no one is left out.

As for what classes they each have there advantage and disadvantage due to setup and expense. So the main thing is to have employees that are knowledgeable so when someone needs help they can turn to them that way they feel that they are progressing and don't feel like they are getting nowhere. If there isn't anyone with experience it will be hard to keep people interested. We all know the fast guys at the track and try to learn there ways and secrets no matter what we have to spend. In turn helps the hobby shop and keeps the RC alive.

The answer for rubber vs foam on indoor carpet is run whatever keeps RC going because if you exclude one or the other you will never know if that one would have had more followers.
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherKee View Post
If you wanna be fast on foam you need to true them down even more then they come packaged. And at "race ready" size, you are pretty much 2 runs and done. So at $20 a SET you get 2 runs. You can use them further, but they fall off time wise quickly. At big races, foams are pretty much 1 run done.

Compared to rubber tires, that's not really beating anything out of the water. For rubber 28's or 32's. You get between 6-8 good runs on carpet at $30 a SET. After that they fall off time wise but not as drastic as foam tires. I normally run a set of Sorex 28's about 12 runs before they are practice tires.

In a nut shell, the world seems to race rubber tire carpet and organizations are trying to kill foam TC. So I would say run rubber.
But see, the thing is this. I gave one set of tires to Chase. It was the foams I was running on the AVID and it was doing quite well. And not much wear at all on the foams. I just wanted to try out a new pair of foams just to see the difference.

As it turns out, Chase did just fine without the foams being trued. When he measured the foams I gave him, he even said they were too big. But yet he turned a 10.2.

This is a nice conversation to have at The Track. I like discussions like this. Keeps things interesting and something to think about instead of the usual "F it, he ain't listening, piss off".
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #23
Tech Adept

If you running on brand new carpet plan on buying a new rug after a couple of years. Rubber tire tears the crap out of the carpet. The HD carpet from CRC claims it holds up better for rubber but I have seen otherwise...

Travis
march to my own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by march to my own View Post
If you running on brand new carpet plan on buying a new rug after a couple of years. Rubber tire tears the crap out of the carpet. The HD carpet from CRC claims it holds up better for rubber but I have seen otherwise...

Travis
As they are already running offroad carpet, it's going to get torn up by the offroad buggies/trucks bottoming out after the jumps. They'll be replacing the carpet every 2 years anyway. And it looks like they are using the road-rails (or whatever they are called) track barriers that are known for tearing up foam tires, IIRC. He didn't say what carpet they are using, it might not even be Ozite.

I'd say stick with rubber tires, and also limit you Mod class to 10.5 motors. Full blown mod TC is too fast for 95% of the people out there to drive on foam tires anyway.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default faster

foam grips better because they hold traction compound better.
jrxsMike03 is offline   Reply With Quote