R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

To bad Novak can't provide licensed hobby shops a way to build these motors. Hobby Shop's are the back bone of our hobby.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #17
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpg racer View Post
Holy Mama!!! USD$99.99 a pop?
They are currently @89.99 at the hobby shops.....

These will be custom-built according to the customer's order; some of these winds are not offered thru distribution, so this may be the least expensive way to get one.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
To bad Novak can't provide licensed hobby shops a way to build these motors. Hobby Shop's are the back bone of our hobby.
Our computer-based motor testing fixtures are custom designed (by us) for QCing and setting the timing on our motors. Hobby dealers would probably be unable to replicate the testing steps required.

We will be working on a program early next year, where retailers/tracks may be able to order customized Ballistics (in quantity) that would appeal to their local customers.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
If you are running 13.5 according to ROAR rules, the 13mm rotor would not be legal. Our 13mm rotor has a groove on the shaft bevel, so it can be identified without taking the motor apart.
bring on the cheating now at club races where they dont tech cars...i suspect EVERYONE will have a ballistic now locally...for mod motors its a great idea, but for stock not fond of it...
Old 11-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

I would imagine most clubs would not be too concerned about options for the motors IE just make sure its the correct wind. I also imagine not too many clubs have enough volunteers for tech duty to get that far into detail.

My club ran a bigger race, and we only specified for the classes the motor limits, weight, tires if need be, and battery. I was the tech for that race and only checked (as far as motor) that it was the correct wind. The club did not specify that motors had to be ROAR legal. Then a few guys stated they would have got crap in the pits for changing rotors, and my response..."don't worry, read the rules, you would still be following them even if you changed your rotor." 150 racers that day, so I teched about 900 times that day....
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #21
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
bring on the cheating now at club races where they dont tech cars...i suspect EVERYONE will have a ballistic now locally...for mod motors its a great idea, but for stock not fond of it...
Almost all of the Ballistic replacement components offered in this program have been available since we released the motors. The re-buildability of the motor is one of its main features; no need to return it to the factory for service.

The Ballistic replacement Spec wind stators have the colored rings/inserts built into the stator assembly. And, the 13mm rotor can be easily identified.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
how much do you think a specialty custom-order/hand-wound/spec'd motor should cost?
justanotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Link doesn;t work for me
bboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
They are currently @89.99 at the hobby shops.....

These will be custom-built according to the customer's order; some of these winds are not offered thru distribution, so this may be the least expensive way to get one.
yeah but
you can get any turn you want for
USD$ 32.99 for wound stator ( 16 choices ).

Last edited by irgo; 11-27-2009 at 04:10 AM.
irgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Think that's a lot ?

I paid £89 GBP for my Ballistic 13.5 last week.
At current exchange rate that's $147.75

They are only $89 on Novak's own site - someone, somewhere is making a killing. My bet is it's the UK Government

Oh yeah... where's the red sleeves for us Photon owners ???

Titanium Racing (Team TR Driver) / Tekin RS Pro / Novak Ballistic 13.5t / Spektrum

www.titaniumracing.com
amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

So you make the assumption that MOST people will blatantly cheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
yes i do, its ELECTRIC racing man.thats why i stepped out for a matter of years diddnt want to play catch the tail. when u get guys who are ALL fast, than it comes down to these little things, that seperate the win, its upsetting, and i had it happen plenty in past, tow-toe racing, than came the straight,and i thought i had the better equipment?lol just didnt know about "twisting" the comms .etc...seee if there was more mod by me, or anywhere i wouldnt care, cause id run mod, but stock is the hot item these days, therefore, if i wanna play, thats how i have to run

Last edited by TommyBlazin; 11-28-2009 at 09:10 AM.
TommyBlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #28
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboard View Post
Link doesn;t work for me
TeamNovak Build-A-Ballistic™

We have some orders this AM; it will be interesting to see what customers want when they can select their own options. So far, all ths B-A-B motors on order have been customized with ceramic bearings.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Well DUH!!!

Racers always look for an advantage, whether it's just within the rules, or just outside. An example, ROAR had a rule for 2s lipo's where the max voltage for the pack was 8.40 volts, with a tolerance for differences in voltmeters of plus or minus .04 volts. How did the racers read that rule? The max voltage is 8.44 volts! And that's what everyone charges to (and a little over).

The more I think about this, the more this is the worst possible idea a motor manufacturer has ever come up with! Look at electric racing now. We have spec classes for 21.5, 17.5, 13.5, and 10.5 and there open for those brave enough. Now you're adding motors in between each of these, essentially adding more classes to an already diluted field. Let's say one club decides on running 15.5 ballistics. For their track it's fine, but if they ever wanted to travel to another track they have to buy another motor, or at least another stator. That makes tech a nightmare, and goes against the idea of no hybrid motors, which would explode the cost of electric racing.

I understand the thinking, but this has disaster written all over it.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #30
Company Representative

Racers in certain international markets race different wind motors---9.5 and 11.5, (and who knows what else?) There is no way we can know what all of these users want to purchase; additionally, we do not currently offer complete motors in those winds. This program offers customers motor options they may wish to try out.

Not everyone races the brushless equipment they purchase in ROAR-type events, in which the motor wind is specified; some people just like to make different choices for reasons of their own. This program offers options for customers who "think outside the box".