Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tekin vs lrp

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking Speedo

Buy and LRP product or go try the new Advanced Electronics Black Diamond now that's speed control. Between Tekin and LRP - blue is better.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
yep Tekin user get em several weeks later but LRP users never get them. I rather several weeks later than never.
go to the store and buy it
Old 11-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
go to the store and buy it
buy what? Tekin? I already did.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I disagree...When the RS came out it was every bit as capable as any other ESC out there...then changes to the way people thought about timing occurred which Tekin was able to adopt with a software change while other manufacturers weren't able to and had to release all new ESCs. Now comes Advanced with another new way of doing timing that no one else has...soon as Tekin figures out what Advanced did it will be available as a software update rather then having to ditch the Tekin and get the Advanced. The technology of the hardware itself has not changed much recently...most of the changes in BL technology now are going to come from software changes.
This is just an inference but I think the RS was intentionally designed with the potential for "turbo." Since the company took a while to get the function working, I had doubts about whether it would ever work. Pair that with the fact that I don't have a laptop, going with LRP is an easy decision. I know there is a limit to software fixes and if Tekin proves that they can continue to make significant increases in performance without new hardware, my next ESC may be a Tekin. I've had good experiences with the company in the past.

LRPs have been great too and the SPX was plenty fast with a 2-year old motor and 28C sport packs until the latest Tekin software updates. At this point, the Tekin cars are losing me on the straights so I'm going to have to get some better batteries and a new motor. All else held equal, I don't think there is a significant difference in the current performance of the SPX, RS, and BMC.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
buy what? Tekin? I already did.
I own a tekin too but its getting too frustrated to own at times.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Can't update the KO software at home, just tune it. That's better than nothing, but it's not the killer feature people are looking for with firmware updates.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

I have a laptop but rarely ever use it at the track to change my settings so a laptop really isn't needed. I prefer to make my changes at home. Our track layouts change but usually not enough to warrant a change to the ESC settings at the track.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not against LRP...they make great ESCs too. I'm just more pro Tekin at this point. I've ran LRPs in the past and they ran well until I switched to Spektrum and then the LRP's BEC was too weak to power the Spektrum receiver reliably. You really can't go wrong with either brand...they are both top notch.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

I think BEC circuitry is easily upgraded by ESC manufacturers if they didn't do it already. I use a very powerful servo which can require 5A steady to work within parameters so that can be an issue. But as inspector said, the point at the moment is what trend is going to win the battle, not what manufacturer. In the long run, my money is on Tekin-style software upgradeable hardware. My guess is that ESCs with pre-defined set profiles in the future will be the realm of beginners.

As for laptops, I agree it's a hassle to have to lug them around (I don't do it either) but for major races it may become a must. having to buy one in the first place is even more annoying, but I guess they are pretty common place these days and I have seen prices plummet in the S/H market recently (about 300$ can buy you last year's top of the line).

Last edited by niznai; 11-24-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would consider pre defined set profiles much easier to get to the track and work more on your set up and driving rather than for beginners. I would bet that in the future not only will there motor classes but profile parameter limits. Imagine that
Old 11-25-2009, 02:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gashuffer
The beauty of this thread is it's power to market. I'll guarantee that in one month Tekin sales will drop and LRP will rise. It's happening as we read this. There are people who are frantically trying to decide on which to buy and why. It's like the trend wave is surging. I have used both brands and they both have great electronic componentry and are very responsive. It all comes down to what brand name you like and how well you can drive. With that being said. LRP for me .02
For some other people who race, they take their time doing research and buy only one to cut down on costs.

I guess it all depends on how much $ you have to throw into the hobby
Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

This is true.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by gashuffer
I would consider pre defined set profiles much easier to get to the track and work more on your set up and driving rather than for beginners. I would bet that in the future not only will there motor classes but profile parameter limits. Imagine that
This is coming! There will be user saveable profiles that can be stored into the RS. These will be able to be cycled via the onboard buttons/interface on the speedo, no puter required.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
This is coming! There will be user saveable profiles that can be stored into the RS. These will be able to be cycled via the onboard buttons/interface on the speedo, no puter required.
Hmmmm, generation Y kids will never buy that. What do you mean no puter ?!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Team Tekin

Oh sorry,

NO COMPUTER!

The user will be able to have set profiles of their choosing and be able to swap back and forth at the track in a matter of seconds.

Esseintially changing between YOUR custom profiles.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

that is a vey nice feature! How many profiles can be stored?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.