R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
The thing with the Tekin at the moment (its what I use) that bothers me is that it seems to always be playing catch up. So its really wait for LRP to do something then wait even longer for Tekin to catch up. They never seem to leapfrog LRP and stay ahead of them. Plus the overall just too many settings to mess with. I must admit the setting of the throttle profile and just gearing sounds appealing.

what he said ........
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

I've bought one Tekin (RS) and remained competitive with three, free upgrades to software. To achieve the same with LRP I'd need to have bought four speedos (Sphere, Sphere 2007, SPX, new SXX). For me, on my budget, with my driving skill, there is only one choice.

I used LRP BR speedos for years and years, and still prefer the LRP 'feel' to any other. However, I'm not wealthy enough to afford four BL speedos inside two years to remain competitive within my driving ability.

It's nice to see people fiercely support their favourite equipment, but if you're on a budget this decision is a no-brainer.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

in stock class must RS Pro
in MOD class choice SXX TC Spec !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+1 LRP SPX...Set it, forget it and find the right gear...And save up $$$ until the next LRP speedo comes out!

I don't know how Tekin stays in business. Does Tekin have a parent company? No new speed controls to sell and giving out software updates for free. Where are the sales going to come from? Great for the customer, bad for the manufacturer. I have a feeling the software updates won't be free forever.

Last edited by Apex; 11-24-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #50
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
+1 LRP SPX...Set it, forget it and find the right gear...And save up $$$ until the next LRP speedo comes out!

I don't know how Tekin stays in business. Does Tekin have a parent company? No new speed controls to sell and giving out software updates for free. Where are the sales going to come from? Great for the customer, bad for the manufacturer. I have a feeling the software updates won't be free forever.

yeah they get funded by Jürgen Lautenbach. he makes so much money from his products then he money laundry on the Tekin. yep.!

I don't know if you notice but every online hobby shop having hard time keeping the RS in stock, also on Ebay or RCtech sales forum hottest ESC is the RS.
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #51
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The beauty of this thread is it's power to market. I'll guarantee that in one month Tekin sales will drop and LRP will rise. It's happening as we read this. There are people who are frantically trying to decide on which to buy and why. It's like the trend wave is surging. I have used both brands and they both have great electronic componentry and are very responsive. It all comes down to what brand name you like and how well you can drive. With that being said. LRP for me .02
gashuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

just buy both, test them, sell the slower one
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
just buy both, test them, sell the slower one
Or save yourself the time and get the SPX

Sorry, I had to.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #54
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI_808 View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point, but like others have said, software updates are not a true upgrade. It just masks the fact that the RS was not ready when it was released. Also, constant software updates can only go so far and is not going to change the fact that new hardware makes old hardware obsolete.
I disagree...When the RS came out it was every bit as capable as any other ESC out there...then changes to the way people thought about timing occurred which Tekin was able to adopt with a software change while other manufacturers weren't able to and had to release all new ESCs. Now comes Advanced with another new way of doing timing that no one else has...soon as Tekin figures out what Advanced did it will be available as a software update rather then having to ditch the Tekin and get the Advanced. The technology of the hardware itself has not changed much recently...most of the changes in BL technology now are going to come from software changes.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I disagree...When the RS came out it was every bit as capable as any other ESC out there...then changes to the way people thought about timing occurred which Tekin was able to adopt with a software change while other manufacturers weren't able to and had to release all new ESCs. Now comes Advanced with another new way of doing timing that no one else has...soon as Tekin figures out what Advanced did it will be available as a software update rather then having to ditch the Tekin and get the Advanced. The technology of the hardware itself has not changed much recently...most of the changes in BL technology now are going to come from software changes.
That's the problem with the Tekin though, the waiting for the update. So you get spanked until they finally come out with the software to match others and then a couple weeks later its something faster. Not to mention it goes to all their team drivers first who beat you for weeks with the updates before the update finally comes out for the average joe racer. Would really love for them to be the company everyone else is trying to catch up to, not the other way around.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Quote:
That's the problem with the Tekin though, the waiting for the update. So you get spanked until they finally come out with the software to match others and then a couple weeks later its something faster. Not to mention it goes to all their team drivers first who beat you for weeks with the updates before the update finally comes out for the average joe racer. Would really love for them to be the company everyone else is trying to catch up to, not the other way around.
So far that has only happened once against the Advanced...with the LRP you'll need a whole new ESC to keep up and from what I've seen on the track the closest ESCs to the Advanced are the Tekins.

It goes to the team drivers first so they can work the bugs out of the software before the end user gets it.

At our tracks no one has the Advanced yet and everyone's trying to catch up to the Tekins.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #57
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It happened with the LRP and Tekin even said that is what v200 was meant to catch up to. I know why the drivers get it but since it is so widespread it really effects racing when some can and some can't have an update for several weeks.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #58
Tech Champion

That was only on the insanely large tracks they run over in Europe...and it was after LRP released a new ESC so to get that advantage you had to get yet another ESC where I paid nothing for my update.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #59
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
It happened with the LRP and Tekin even said that is what v200 was meant to catch up to. I know why the drivers get it but since it is so widespread it really effects racing when some can and some can't have an update for several weeks.

yep Tekin user get em several weeks later but LRP users never get them. I rather several weeks later than never.
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Advanced huh? KO gets no love at all. For right now SPX for me, KO next.
Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote