R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Yokomo SD? Tamiya TB III SE? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/34586-yokomo-sd-tamiya-tb-iii-se.html)

MugenMTX3Kid 02-28-2004 12:45 AM

Yokomo SD? Tamiya TB III SE?

Hey, I just sold my Pro 3 and I am looking into Shaft Drives now. I decided to pick either one of these. For parts, I can order it from my lhs if they do not carry. Which one do you guys prefer? Why? Any problems report with the car?

1. Yokomo SD (SSG, Black Version)
2. Tamiya TB Evo III Surikarn Edition

WHICH?

Sleighty 02-28-2004 06:59 AM

Both cars do have problems straight out the box from what i hear.

I have the Yokomo SD Black Special, and i cant say i have any problems with it apart from a few breakages which were more because of a driveshaft defect rather than actual weakness in the suspension parts. The driveshaft problems can be quite easily fixed however so dont let that make u steer clear of this car. I found its very fast straight out of the box also and is also a great deal cheaper than the Tamiya.

The yok kit is fully loaded for the money it costs and that way you can spend the money u save on sexy aluminum parts and probobly make it look just as good as the Tamiya for less :D

just my opinion, i dont have a large amount of knowledge about the tamiya, but i hear they have big problems with parts breaking?:ha:

Sleighty:weird: :sneaky:

RCGaryK 02-28-2004 07:03 AM

I wouldn't rule out the HPI Pro 4 if you were interested in those two cars....

JusBox 02-28-2004 07:13 AM

I wouldn't get either of those. If I were in the market i'd be looking at the Pro 4, the barracuda r2/r3 or the new xray team car coming out soon.

WC 02-28-2004 07:19 AM

Originally posted by Sleighty
just my opinion, i dont have a large amount of knowledge about the tamiya, but i hear they have big problems with parts breaking?:ha:
No problems with parts breaking too easily, just a myth propogated by non-owners who have never even driven a Tamiya.

Only known hassle is TBe3 can chew front one-way gears if they are not built properly/correctly - but then so do other shaftdrives. Gears are consumables, does not stop you from finishing your race and they are quick & simple to access & replace.

Tamiya quality is 1st class as always.

V12 02-28-2004 07:32 AM

EVO3 really is a good car. There are some problems with onewaygears but these can be fixed. Most maybe all shaft drive cars will have problems when using a oneway. No problems with front diff with the EVO3. I havenīt broke any parts other than onewaygears in about 9 month. Also no broken onewaygear since about 6 or 7 month.
I know some YOK SD drivers and some of them break arms and other plastic parts easily even they are very good drivers. Sometimes they hit a curb and an arm breaks. Never had this with the EVO3.

I would go for the EVO3 or the new HPI Pro4. This car also looks promising but from what I have heard this one also could break onewaygears. Plastic parts look much better to me than the Yok SD.

Evoracer 02-28-2004 10:04 AM

Another vote for the Evo3 !! Parts breaking !!??:eek: :eek: ....You must be talking about the Brokomo !! No Tamiya I've ever had suffered from breaking parts. The one way gear is a problem but there is an easy and excellent fix for it that was developed by a fellow racer. Also, many of us are using a standard ball diff or a spool for the front. I would also look at the Pro4 but there are rumours that it too suffers from some weak suspension arms, like the Yokomo. If you're considering belt drive, wait for the Tamiya 415 or consider the Xray.
The barracuda is nice but for some reason an awful lot of them are up for sale !!! Don't know the answer to that.

rc-zombies 02-28-2004 10:09 AM

THere's only 1 choice....get the PRO4:nod:

JusBox 02-28-2004 10:58 AM

Originally posted by rc-zombies
THere's only 1 choice....get the PRO4:nod:
we're not a little biased now are we? :D

rc-zombies 02-28-2004 12:36 PM

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
we're not a little biased now are we? :D
I've had the TC3, SD, R2 web, and heard many horror stories about the Evo3... I find the Pro4 faster right out of the box... the R2/R3 a close second. I've the the Xray evo2...that was a good car too...built like a tank.. I'm sure the new Factory Team is even better.
Shaft cars: 1) Pro4 2) R3
Belt: 1)Xray 2)Tech 3) 415...

just my 2 yens... :D

JusBox 02-28-2004 12:38 PM

Originally posted by rc-zombies
I've had the TC3, SD, R2 web, and heard many horror stories about the Evo3... I find the Pro4 faster right out of the box... the R2/R3 a close second. I've the the Xray evo2...that was a good car too...built like a tank.. I'm sure the new Factory Team is even better.
Shaft cars: 1) Pro4 2) R3
Belt: 1)Xray 2)Tech 3) 415...

just my 2 yens... :D

I've only had a tc3, a xxxs and a yokomo sd... the cuda is by far the better of those. I'm really looking forward to the new xray though it's easier for me to support one car.

BigDogRacing 02-28-2004 12:47 PM

I have the EVO3SE and it's a great car. There were problems with the front oneway gears stripping but I posted on the EVO3 thread how to easily fix it and I expect the new longer driveshaft will make it even easier to fix.

As far as breaking any other parts, I have bent some hinge pins but you almost have to TRY to break anything else!!

If you are considering the Pro 4 you might wait until there are parts availability because it comes with the oneway and no extra parts.

MugenMTX3Kid 02-28-2004 12:56 PM

I am just trying to find used ones, cant afford to get a new one right now. So that would probably rule me out for the Pro 4 becuase no one is selling them right now.

I know can i get one for $280 but maybe i can save up a little. The pro 4 looks nice.

rc-zombies 02-28-2004 06:24 PM

Originally posted by MugenMTX3Kid
I am just trying to find used ones, cant afford to get a new one right now. So that would probably rule me out for the Pro 4 becuase no one is selling them right now.

I know can i get one for $280 but maybe i can save up a little. The pro 4 looks nice.

the Pro4 is a bargain at $280.00 +

WC 02-28-2004 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Evoracer
The barracuda is nice but for some reason an awful lot of them are up for sale !!! Don't know the answer to that.
'Cuda seems to run well, but imho design & manufacturing quality just ain't there. I for one will never sit there just admiring the machining work on an Alex parts... sorry.

otoh.. Yoks and the others are probably cheaper to buy - don't know, I seldom look.

Tamiya charges a premium for TRF gear - because they can. Once you get hooked on the Stars... its an expensive addiction. :)