R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #16
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
Is it possible that since you bought the TC5 used, it may have been damaged and fixed previously hence the binding?
Ahhh - tonight my cousin & I found that the factory FHSC on the top deck pokes out too long and scrapes along the top of the bellcrank. As I said - yay for wannabe engineers that don't have a degree. I cross-referenced the instruction manual, yet AE put a screw thru a hole too long where it will bind a mech part up. I'm just a simple 3D CAD designer with 12 years exp. I am no engineer, but hate those who think they are and cheat their bosses by LYING and saying otherwise that they are "indeed" certified engineers, yet dropped out of college/ or got an ego thru some other tech job.

Look up page 14 on the manual. It calls to install nine 3x6 FHCS screws to secure the top deck. The one in the front end, left hand side, close to the servo, catches and binds the bell crank itself.

A real mech engineer would've caught that, re-issued a shorter screw, and made and amendment sheet to the instructions, but since my recent visit on the AE site, nothing is there.

As I said, I'm no engineer, but the "top engineer" from AE should have caught that way before he authorized the instructions/ manual to be released into production.

I'm not QA/ QC either. I'm just calling it as I see it. Tamiya is always on top with assy and instructions, while my AE car fell a little short and disapointed me just a little more further.
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT
dragnse7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #17
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
A nicely hopped up TA05 is a pretty neat car. It's also more expensive than a TC5, or a 416 for that matter. I enjoy mine, but the joy of beating someone with a tub car isn't quite the same when you know in your heart it cost more than whatever they're driving.
Yeah - I feel your pain. I'm prepping up and tuning the TC5 for the next upcoming race, along with my TA05R. I'm letting my cousin use the Tamiya for our next race, and we've been racing off-road together at our local track for years, and he's good and beats me 2/3 the time. Now time for his virgin on-road race.

If I beat my own tuned up Tamiya against my cousin, then it's his for free. If he looses, he owes me three months worth of beer.

I am tuning both cars with the same final drive ratio, same F/R springs, and same (or close enough) ride height, anti-squat, and same stiffness on the sway bars.

I am very excited to try and beat my cousin with a parallel setup with an AE car since I haven't owned an AE since the "Gateway cow" RC10T.

We'll see!!! Stay tuned and I'll post the race results on 11/27/2009 and we can all rant about it then!!!!!
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT
Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnse7en View Post
I am tuning both cars with the same final drive ratio, same F/R springs, and same (or close enough) ride height, anti-squat, and same stiffness on the sway bars.
Are you tuning the Tamiya and transferring those settings to AE or vice versa ?

Surely on the same track , different cars will require different settings for each to be optimised ..... play it right and your case of beer is almost guaranteed
gimpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #19
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpex View Post
Are you tuning the Tamiya and transferring those settings to AE or vice versa ?

Surely on the same track , different cars will require different settings for each to be optimised ..... play it right and your case of beer is almost guaranteed
Oh yeah - I'll tune them both up so they act the same. I can just about balance the TA05 square in the middle, right on top of my finger (fully loaded), but in the same test the TC5 is noticeably ass-heavy.

I'm aimed at softer oil in the rear shocks with stiffer springs, as opposed to altering the anti-squat in the back. I'm looking for the best balance that they can both get, from center - zero, and to full throttle take off in a straight line.

For steering, I'll try and get the steering throw as close as I can between each other. I have Two AE XP3D radio sysytems, and will adjust EPA and RATE as necessary to get them as close in synch together as I/we (my cousin) can.

Sounds simple to make two cars act the same, but we did it before. I'm just lucky enough to have family in the house to help out.

We're looking at all the tech limits/ potentials between each model, and put them on both on a "null" plane. This may mean that we both loose the race, and in a perfect world, would beep across the line at the same time, and be dead-balls tied. One car would hamper while the other could do better and had no chance to show it.

We thought of that too, from previous "null test" monkeying in this hobby.

So the best bet is to max 'em both out, make em steer the same, weight acceleration dist, etc. Hell, I'll add weight to one or the other to null it all out!!!!!

So, that our plan. Wish me luck!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I roll with AE and Tamiya also! But you really should tone down on bashing guys without degrees.

I have an Engineering degree from a University, not a trade school, not a vocational school, but an accredited university.

However, I've worked and gone to school with many of these University-level engineers, vocational-level, trade-school level, and generally degree-less engineers who've worked their way up (technicians, then engineers), and I must say that it's really down to the individual.

An education can only teach you how to use the tools and the techniques that goes into a system, machine, or a design, but it does not give you any intuition of a design, its market, cost-benefit, and etc.

I enjoyed your breakdown on TA05 vs. TC5 reading, but I do not agree with your bashing of AE's team. I think the engineering team at AE are very wonderful and talented engineers, but like any machines out there, there are shortcomings of EVERY kit.

I'm as big of an AE fan and Tamiya fan as any of you guys out there, but bashing people because of the fact that they don't hold a degree is just wrong.

There are PLENTY of people out there, without a degree, that can school a University-graduated charlattans that pose as engineers. I've graduated with a lot of these charlattans, these so-called engineering students that have no passion, no interest, no concept of design work.

Remember, just because Team T came up with a better solution to Team A doesn't mean that Team A isn't talented. That's false logic.

Team A brought us the venerable RC10 and a host of other cars. But that doesn't mean that Team T isn't good. They're both good in different ways and you just have to learn to appreciate it...

If you want to bash a company, try bashing Exceed, now there's a pile of crap IMO...
Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

I own both cars... TA05R and TC5R.

The Tamiya, it's nicely build, but STILL needs additional hop ups for the
steering, graphite shock towers helps. I appreciate its positive handling
capabilities since the chassis is flexible due to the absence of upperdeck.
Been using mine since 2007 as a 13.5T street racer. Easy to clean all
around, dont have to disassemble stuffs to service some parts like diffs,
Im using a diff seal.

The TC5R, although it's newer, bought mine early 2009, has given more
problems and I gave up and almost sold the shit. Snapped rear belts,
snapped diff nuts, more diff rebuilds, bearing maintenance, loose ass.
It's lighter and accelerates better but I have less confidence in attacking
corners or hairpins. Now I had applied some durability treatments that
I learned from my TA05R.

But in the end, I still use my TC4 whenever I go to unknown places.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 AM   #22
Tech Elite

FT TC4s seems to be in demand these days since it was the last shaft based touring that was from AE...

I don't know, I have a TA05 v2, these things are sweet. But then again, I'm a newb in on-road touring so I guess it's like in offroad when a newb can't tell the difference between a Rustler and a FT T4...

Seriously though, I'm really loving my Tamiyas lately. They are starting to outnumber my AE fleet...
Old 11-23-2009, 02:30 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airflow View Post
I own both cars... TA05R and TC5R.

The Tamiya, it's nicely build, but STILL needs additional hop ups for the
steering, graphite shock towers helps. I appreciate its positive handling
capabilities since the chassis is flexible due to the absence of upperdeck.
Been using mine since 2007 as a 13.5T street racer. Easy to clean all
around, dont have to disassemble stuffs to service some parts like diffs,
Im using a diff seal.

The TA05R doesn't need any of that really. Actually, the TA05 itself properly tuned is quite performant.

On mine however I replaced the plastic tub with the carbon version because I like my cars stiff and the suspension to do the work, not the chassis. This is the way it's done in real cars and I just like to do it that way. Works for me.

About the TC5 I can not say what it drives like, but from one of our experienced drivers who stuck with it, I can tell you it takes some effort to sort out the handling. He kept at it and managed to get it to perform brilliantly, but then again, he's very good and I am pretty sure he could tune a brick to handle.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:56 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I know one, and it's on my shelf right here.

I actually had to replace at my own cost th edefective part right out of the box. Not impressed. Once I posted about that on the relevant forum, others have stepped forth and told their own stories of woe.

Tamiya is a big company but their attitude towards the consumer is pretty much like that of other huge companies, i.e. if there's anything wrong with their product, it is either the customer's fault or an inimaginable conspiracy of the universe against them. Either way, you pay. Perhaps elsewhere (read in larger markets they actually care about like the US) the situation is different in this respect but that's the way it is in Australia. Pretty disenchanted with it.

But I admit they make really good cars (otherwise I wouldn't buy them) and very easy to drive with minimal tune-up. Straight out of the box they'll go pretty close to perfection.
True, I guess any manufacturer will have the odd part thats not quite right here and there. Just like the description on the ta05 box says "fully ballraced" when it's not (the steering isn't).

I guess i've been lucky with the 3 cars i've had from tamiya, compared to my findings with one car from associated.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #25
TOJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just came across this interesting thread now, (3yrs from the last post) well talking about Team A the only thing that makes it appear as Team A is the brand itself "Team Associated" other than that it's actually Team TT (thunder tiger) if not all most of the key the people & their protoge behind the fundamental design of the RC10buggy & RC12i are not with them anymore, specially Area 51 of AE. The last truly TC kit that is developed either by the people (or their protoge) behind RC10 & RC12i basic design is the FT TC4 and is also the last TC kit developed when Team A was still an All American Company. (I still have my FT TC4 as a shelf queen) I mentioned RC12i because it is as revolutionary as the RC10 buggy. Until to this very day, if not all , almost all direct drive/pan car kit both 1/10 & 1/12 still use the the idea of the RC12i's original rear suspension design from 1982 by Roger Curtis & Curtis Husting (also both who designed RC10 buggy)
Cliff Lett joined AE's Area 51 design team in the 90's then followed by Torrance DeGuzman (both 2 of the key people behind the TC4 design)

Last edited by TOJ; 11-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.
TOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #26
Tech Regular

TT has been making the ae kits for years, even before they bought ae,no big deal, an all american made kit would be really expensive... R&d in us, manufacture it in china, just as most companies do it today
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
TOJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't even think people are still following this thread ;-)

Bappe:
I meant "All American Company" not All American Kit. Yes Thunder Tiger is very capable in designing & building kits.
I'm talking about the design idea is not from the Original Design Team of AE. So don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything against TT. I'm just saying the design team is not the same previous team or not a transcend from it.

if u read the 1st post of this thread, he was very dissaponted with TC5 and relates it to the revolutionary design of the RC10 and ask why TC5 turns out like this. So I'm pointing out they came from different and unrelated design team. so the brand is only the common thing between them.

Last edited by TOJ; 11-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
TOJ is offline   Reply With Quote