Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
locking up gear diffs???? >

locking up gear diffs????

locking up gear diffs????

Old 11-20-2009, 06:48 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
mytto1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: monterey park
Posts: 111
Questions?? locking up gear diffs????

i want to improve my cars handling, and i can only think of locking up my rear diffs. i alredy locked up my front diffs and noticed that it improved on handling a little bit. the reason why i want to lock up my rear diffs is bcause when im racing i noticed that my rear end of my car starts to come out as if i was drrifting. will this help??
thanks everyone
mytto1 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM
  #2  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,661
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mytto1 View Post
i want to improve my cars handling, and i can only think of locking up my rear diffs. i alredy locked up my front diffs and noticed that it improved on handling a little bit. the reason why i want to lock up my rear diffs is bcause when im racing i noticed that my rear end of my car starts to come out as if i was drrifting. will this help??
thanks everyone
Locking the rear diff will make this worse. What car do you have, and what setup are you running?
geeunit1014 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
mytto1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: monterey park
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Locking the rear diff will make this worse. What car do you have, and what setup are you running?
i have the tamiya tto1. i have a 17.5 with 55 spur with 25t pinion gears in it.
how can i make that stop?
mytto1 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (89)
 
trerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Locking the rear diff will make this worse. What car do you have, and what setup are you running?
+1

Tho if you do wish to lock the diffs JB Weld will do the trick...
trerc is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 PM
  #5  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,661
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

When I say setup, I mean suspension settings. You can try more rear toe in, softer rear springs, and I could make a list that goes on and on.. One big thing, if you are still using the kit tires, ditch those and get a set of good ones, and then see how it is
geeunit1014 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Timbulb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,061
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mytto1 View Post
i want to improve my cars handling, and i can only think of locking up my rear diffs. i alredy locked up my front diffs and noticed that it improved on handling a little bit. the reason why i want to lock up my rear diffs is bcause when im racing i noticed that my rear end of my car starts to come out as if i was drrifting. will this help??
thanks everyone
It'll make it worse. Try softening your rear suspension a bit, try some traction compound on the rear only, change your EPA so your front wheels don't turn as sharp, add some rear camber and toe-in.... but don't lock your diff.
Timbulb is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:22 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
mytto1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: monterey park
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
When I say setup, I mean suspension settings. You can try more rear toe in, softer rear springs, and I could make a list that goes on and on.. One big thing, if you are still using the kit tires, ditch those and get a set of good ones, and then see how it is
oh. ok. but im not to sure what you mean by toe in. and i got rid of those tires long ago if i lower the back dampners even more what will that do?
mytto1 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 233
Default

If you lock up the rear gear diff, you are actually making the car a drifter.

Because of the setup limitation of tt01, you may try softer spring / lighter damper oil, more rear toe in and better rear tires for sure.

You may also want to soften your throttle when exiting a corner to avoid spinout/drifts.
hardmankam is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 PM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Timbulb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,061
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Try softening your rear springs a bunch first, and adding some rear camber. Rear toe in isn't possible with a TT01, I don't think. Also make sure your front tires don't have better grip than the rears. If anything put the better tires on the back.
Timbulb is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 PM
  #10  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
mytto1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: monterey park
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by Timbulb View Post
Try softening your rear springs a bunch first, and adding some rear camber. Rear toe in isn't possible with a TT01, I don't think. Also make sure your front tires don't have better grip than the rears. If anything put the better tires on the back.
I got the adjustable arm set so im prettysure thats possible
mytto1 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
  #11  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,661
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mytto1 View Post
oh. ok. but im not to sure what you mean by toe in. and i got rid of those tires long ago if i lower the back dampners even more what will that do?
Simple definition of toe in: When a pair of wheels is set so that their leading edges are pointed slightly towards each other, the wheel pair is said to have toe-in.

In short, more rear toe in helps keep the rear of the car planted, and that will help the problem you have, although im not sure how easy it is to adjust on a tt01
geeunit1014 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:39 PM
  #12  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 233
Default

Originally Posted by mytto1 View Post
I got the adjustable arm set so im prettysure thats possible
Adjustable arms only allow changes to camber, not toe in/out.
hardmankam is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 PM
  #13  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
mytto1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: monterey park
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Simple definition of toe in: When a pair of wheels is set so that their leading edges are pointed slightly towards each other, the wheel pair is said to have toe-in.

In short, more rear toe in helps keep the rear of the car planted, and that will help the problem you have, although im not sure how easy it is to adjust on a tt01
thanks
mytto1 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 PM
  #14  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
mytto1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: monterey park
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by hardmankam View Post
Adjustable arms only allow changes to camber, not toe in/out.
oh. ok. thanks you for all the help, and ill give it shot and let you know how it worked
mytto1 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.