R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Questions?? locking up gear diffs????

i want to improve my cars handling, and i can only think of locking up my rear diffs. i alredy locked up my front diffs and noticed that it improved on handling a little bit. the reason why i want to lock up my rear diffs is bcause when im racing i noticed that my rear end of my car starts to come out as if i was drrifting. will this help??
thanks everyone
mytto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytto1 View Post
i want to improve my cars handling, and i can only think of locking up my rear diffs. i alredy locked up my front diffs and noticed that it improved on handling a little bit. the reason why i want to lock up my rear diffs is bcause when im racing i noticed that my rear end of my car starts to come out as if i was drrifting. will this help??
thanks everyone
Locking the rear diff will make this worse. What car do you have, and what setup are you running?

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Locking the rear diff will make this worse. What car do you have, and what setup are you running?
i have the tamiya tto1. i have a 17.5 with 55 spur with 25t pinion gears in it.
how can i make that stop?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
+1

Tho if you do wish to lock the diffs JB Weld will do the trick...
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Tech Champion

When I say setup, I mean suspension settings. You can try more rear toe in, softer rear springs, and I could make a list that goes on and on.. One big thing, if you are still using the kit tires, ditch those and get a set of good ones, and then see how it is

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
thanks everyone
It'll make it worse. Try softening your rear suspension a bit, try some traction compound on the rear only, change your EPA so your front wheels don't turn as sharp, add some rear camber and toe-in.... but don't lock your diff.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
When I say setup, I mean suspension settings. You can try more rear toe in, softer rear springs, and I could make a list that goes on and on.. One big thing, if you are still using the kit tires, ditch those and get a set of good ones, and then see how it is
oh. ok. but im not to sure what you mean by toe in. and i got rid of those tires long ago if i lower the back dampners even more what will that do?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Tech Adept

If you lock up the rear gear diff, you are actually making the car a drifter.

Because of the setup limitation of tt01, you may try softer spring / lighter damper oil, more rear toe in and better rear tires for sure.

You may also want to soften your throttle when exiting a corner to avoid spinout/drifts.
hardmankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try softening your rear springs a bunch first, and adding some rear camber. Rear toe in isn't possible with a TT01, I don't think. Also make sure your front tires don't have better grip than the rears. If anything put the better tires on the back.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbulb View Post
Try softening your rear springs a bunch first, and adding some rear camber. Rear toe in isn't possible with a TT01, I don't think. Also make sure your front tires don't have better grip than the rears. If anything put the better tires on the back.
I got the adjustable arm set so im prettysure thats possible
Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
oh. ok. but im not to sure what you mean by toe in. and i got rid of those tires long ago if i lower the back dampners even more what will that do?
Simple definition of toe in: When a pair of wheels is set so that their leading edges are pointed slightly towards each other, the wheel pair is said to have toe-in.

In short, more rear toe in helps keep the rear of the car planted, and that will help the problem you have, although im not sure how easy it is to adjust on a tt01

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
I got the adjustable arm set so im prettysure thats possible
Adjustable arms only allow changes to camber, not toe in/out.
hardmankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Simple definition of toe in: When a pair of wheels is set so that their leading edges are pointed slightly towards each other, the wheel pair is said to have toe-in.

In short, more rear toe in helps keep the rear of the car planted, and that will help the problem you have, although im not sure how easy it is to adjust on a tt01
thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardmankam View Post
Adjustable arms only allow changes to camber, not toe in/out.
oh. ok. thanks you for all the help, and ill give it shot and let you know how it worked