R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default TC5 vs XRAY T2R Pro

I want to get a touring car. I was ready to get the TC5 http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ouring-Car-Kit
but after a little sticker shock I saw the XRAY T2R Pro http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ic-Touring-Car.

I will use it for a combination of racing and just for fun. Mainly driven indoor carpet. What are your thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
storytyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

I would personally go with the Xray its cheaper plus parts are compatible with 009. They're both good cars. In the end I would choose the car you can get parts for easier. Sometimes that's easier said than done
Big Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

between the two, the TC5R would be the one to get as this is already a competition spec kit. the T2R although a good design i a racer spec kit which means the components are of lower grade (FRP instead of carbon fibre, etc) materials which will compromise some performance. of course it is fully upgradable to better components but that may mean bigger expense in the long run. the TC5R is a top tier car already out of the box.

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

good used t2 08/09 all you'll need
Old 11-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I have a couple friends with tc5 and one with a t2r. Believe me the t2R is the better bargain. With both cars right of the box, the t2R is definately faster and way more durable.
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Tech Master

xray imo handles a lot better
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just bought a used TC5R roller for $200 with parts and a 17.5 motor for $200.
I also bought a used T2'008 roller for $250 with a few parts and run on carpet only.

The Xray is a nicer build and in better shape, but parts are expensive. I plan to keep the T2 on the shelf for a while before I drive it.

The TC5R is the one I drive. Not as nice and costs less.
egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

i've had the TC5R, the T2 series --> T2, T2'007 and T2 '008 (still have it) so obviously i like xray cars. i have not had the T2R itself but it's basically a stripped down T2. i would still go for the TC5R. dont see why a T2R would be faster than a TC5R because with proper set up, the TC5R is as fast as any other top end car out there.

as for durability, if you've had a chance to run a TC5, you'd know that it's probably one of the tougher cars out there. i've smacked that thing straight onto an exposed barrier and came out with nothing more than a popped ball cup and a torn up foam bumper and body.

anyway, these are based on my experiences so hopefully it will help you decide. in the end im sure you'll be happy with either.

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I have a 008 and love it.

It's a great car, easy to work on and tune. Very forgiving.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

I have the original t2r and I love it. I race regularly and I'm usually right on par with many of the 008/009 cars. Xray quality greatly outweighs any advantage you might have with the Associated, if there is any.

www.toycarracingblog.com
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
I have the original t2r and I love it. I race regularly and I'm usually right on par with many of the 008/009 cars. Xray quality greatly outweighs any advantage you might have with the Associated, if there is any.
I concur. I have the old T2R, and love it. I mean LOOOVE it.

My friend got a TC5 and I got to drive it and work on it, and did not like the way it was built or anything.

My T2R consistently out handles t2008/9s, corallys, losis, and TC5, partly because it is soo damn easy to work on and tune, and T2 cars are such a known quantity as far as setups go (just find one you like).
Old 11-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I currently race a T2R Pro, 009, T3 (not quite built) and just sold my TC5R. I've had some succes with the T2R Pro as a result of the flex in the FRP chassis. I bought the car for that reason not as a budget racer. The way the FRP chassis flexes makes it a great low traction or rough track car. Having said that, my TC5R was great on low traction also. No doubt, both are good cars but my preference is Xray for their super tough composite plastics and overall quality. Also, Xray cars generally have a smoother feel... IMO.
pcar951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I run the t2r pro at my local track and I am quite impressed with it. If you are new to rubber tire the t2r pro is the one to get. Out of the box it is very easy to drive. The only downside is that if you plan on being very competitive you should get adjustable turnbuckles for easy suspension tuning and I also suggest getting 008/009 front cvd's for durability.

The only other mod I have done to mine is getting my hands on a 009 EU top deck which took away some of the flex the chassis has that I didn't need.

With this my car is just as fast if not faster than the 007,008,009,tc5's,photon's, ect that race at our track.

You can't argue that the TC5 is a good bang for the buck but for around the same price you can have the quality and durability of an Xray.

My $.02
Stlfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I bought the xray T2R. I have only looked at the manual so far. It was $70 cheaper than the TC5R (the actual TC5 kit is discontinued) at amain.com. I was ready to start building, but I am having second thoughts basically because of the parts. Access to parts is not an issue, but the xray parts are super pricey. That $70 I "saved" will evaporate quickly with new turnbuckles and other recommended upgrades. Any thoughts???? I appreciate all the feedback to this point.
storytyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

with the stupid things you break on a tc5 trust me i have had one you will actually save money.
TRXRACER99 is offline   Reply With Quote