R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2004, 07:56 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Quote:
On another note, making pvc tires, can you use some old trued down foams for this or is ther some advantage to using the sidewalls of a rubber tire (e.g. bump absorption, lateral sway).
Actually, when I made mine, I just used the rim. I bought 2" pvc pipe, which is just a bit bigger than the rim itself (assuming you have the standard 1.9" rim). I added a thin strip of rubber weatherstripping to the rim and forced the rim inside the pipe. Done deal. I suppose you could use trued foam tires as long as they fit inside the pvc.

I'm sure by now everyone has seen the video...
Old 03-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

An individual (forgot his name) from vip hobbies in west covina had informed me another alternative for drifting tires aside from pvc, vinyl tape, and yokomo drift tires. He recommended soaking old rubber slicks, including the rim, in acetone for about a whole day. After it dries up, the result should be hard, plastic-like tires. I haven't personally tried it myself, but was nearly convinced when he showed me a few tires that have been through this process. Hopefully I'll try it soon with a old set of Take Offs or Sorex tires. If anyone has tried this method, please follow up with any feedback.

On another note, I had an inquiry about the yokomo drift tires itself. I bought mine last week from speedtech rc and was wondering how long the tires would last. Should I expect the drift rings to wear out first? Or should the rubber portion of the tire decrease faster? I am beginning to suspect that my front tires will get chewed up much faster than the rear given that the front is currently set at -4 camber, 0 toe. After about 6 battery packs, I see that the rubber is starting to get eaten up, and the plastic rings have been shaved to the same level as the rubber portion. How many times can the rings be changed on the tire before i have to eventually buy new tires?
Easy
liberalswine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #33
Tech Regular

from what i have herd from the guys at yokomo they should last quite a while i haven't got run mine yet...another thing that came up at my local track was that the plastic rings were leaving dust on the track and making it lose traction.if anyone else has had this problem i would like to know your thoughts on this
teammediocre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:27 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Abt the Yok drift tires : Drivers in Singapore are reporting the tires are getting chewed up pretty good within 3 packs on a race track. My own set isn't holding up too well either but the rings are still ok coz I ran them on a dusty concrete carpark.

teammediocre : Yup, some local drivers (non-drifters) are pissed off at the plastic dust left on the track, claims it causes them to lose traction. I tend to believe teh plastic dust is just as slippery as the rubber dust from worn down sponge tires, worse comes to worse, it's nothing a little broom and dustpan wouldn't fix

Cheers
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:58 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

im not sure how i feel about this deal. plastic bushings in the steering linkage? brass bushings on the wheels and in the diffs? i think this is a little light for a $200 kit. i know its meant as a drift car, but dont they think someone might wanna race it? geez... my Tamiya TB02 at least came with full bearings for 169...

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:19 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

keeps getting better... steel cvds in the front, but 2 piece dogbones in the rear?!?!?!?

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 07:51 AM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Sounds like it's better just to use whatever chasis you have and set it up to drift...
Old 03-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #38

i believe the drift cars are on the yokomo site for 168.00 and should be cheaper at a hobby shop.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:29 PM   #39
Tech Regular

yeah i was a little disapointed the the quality for the price...
Old 03-03-2004, 08:10 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by NightKidZ
Hi there
There was a bit of input from a real life D1 GP judge into the making of Initial D anime stuff.

Cheers
I don't want to stay here long but the yokomo drift car is some fun, only played a little demo in Japan, but Yokomo really has the class down with the drift tires and bodies.. later Tosolini...
Chris Tosolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:27 PM   #41
Tech Regular

thanks for the info chris
Old 03-03-2004, 10:11 PM   #42
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Tosolini
I don't want to stay here long but the yokomo drift car is some fun, only played a little demo in Japan, but Yokomo really has the class down with the drift tires and bodies.. later Tosolini...
Hi Chris
Glad to know you like drifting too

Cheers
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:43 AM   #43
Tech Rookie

Remember it depends on the surface you run the Yokomo tires on. Smooth pavement the glossy type the tires are lasting a good amount of time. I ran the tires on gritty pavement such as the street and the rings were being chewed up to fast. Be mindfull of what surface you run on.
joeblow is offline   Reply With Quote