Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question to racers about lap traffic

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:47 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
No it's not...it's a hot head attitude. Yes they should allow you by weather by holding a line or moving but going through someone when they don't is poor sportsmanship. Especially with new drivers having them try and get out of the way more often then not causes a pile up that could have been avoided had they simply held a line and let you drive around them.
And this is why americans get nowhere in real racing, learn to drive you namby pamby oval racers, turning left isn't skillful.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
And this is why americans get nowhere in real racing, learn to drive you namby pamby oval racers, turning left isn't skillful.
That sure is a nice way to describe what probably is the majority of users on this forum, not!

What would you do on a race track with newcomers, that all happen to be American?

T bone them all and say to their face you won because they cant turn right? Hope you've got a good pair of running shoes...
Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Lap Traffice

Just remember when dealing with lap traffic treat them the same way you would like to be treated. If you are at big race or club race punting someone should never be done. The other racers will remember and your life may become miserably. Or you might be on the a TQ run a big race and they remember the day you punted them and the next thing you know your in the cheap seats. A racer never forgets the guy that punted or drove over them. They may get you back when it hurts you the most. If you live by the sword you will die by the sword. Also the guy you punt may be corner marshaling you next race. He might not see you seating against the board. Remember it is just for fun it a toy car race.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by martin660
Just remember when dealing with lap traffic treat them the same way you would like to be treated. If you are at big race or club race punting someone should never be done. The other racers will remember and your life may become miserably. Or you might be on the a TQ run a big race and they remember the day you punted them and the next thing you know your in the cheap seats. A racer never forgets the guy that punted or drove over them. They may get you back when it hurts you the most. If you live by the sword you will die by the sword. Also the guy you punt may be corner marshaling you next race. He might not see you seating against the board. Remember it is just for fun it a toy car race.
+1 Exactly!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tc3team
That sure is a nice way to describe what probably is the majority of users on this forum, not!

What would you do on a race track with newcomers, that all happen to be American?

T bone them all and say to their face you won because they cant turn right? Hope you've got a good pair of running shoes...
As someone who can run 100 meters in under 11 seconds... I have a fantastic pair of running shoes

Not that i'd need them.... they should learn to race correctly... i.e watch Plato Vs Neal
Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Being lapped

When being lapped, always give the inside corner by going wider on the turn, on straights, just hold your line and speed and the faster driver will eventually pass you.

If I'm the one lapping, I usually wait for the other driver to give me the inside corner to pass, after a few corners and he is still blocking the inside corner, I will pass him on the outside with a smile on my face...
Old 11-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

As someone who can run 100 meters in under 11 seconds... I have a fantastic pair of running shoes

Not that i'd need them.... they should learn to race correctly... i.e watch Plato Vs Neal
tell me, were you naturally gifted at racing when you started out, or did you crash into others?

And when that next A final win is in sight next time out, just make sure you watch your back if you've been punting others out the way, what's good for one is good for another, so the saying goes (running shoes won't make a single bit of difference then either)...

Contact is inevitiable in racing, rubbing IS racing Side by side, its racing.

However, deliberate punting (possibly resulting in damage) is not something I care to do, lapping someone, way down the field, or whatever position I am.

If you do not see someone coming up to lap you, does that make it deliberate if the lapper crashes into the leader? Unfortunate, yes, but deliberate? I think not unless someone really is a sore looser.

I respect the people I am racing against, and their car/equipment as much as my own

I think my main line of thought would be:

What's so enjoyable about the possability of breaking yours/someone elses car and that you are out of the racing for the day?

I did try to be witty, but it just doesnt seem to me that I got a witty answer

Last edited by tc3team; 11-18-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It helps if the race director lets the guy know the leader is coming up on you and hopefully they will take a slightly wider line in a corner to let you go. Newer drivers sometimes try to go to wide and end up getting out of control and come back in to early out of panic not really there fault they just havent learned yet that you dont need 4ft of space to pass just slightly off line and a good driver will be gone. If you are racing for position and the leader is lapping you and he is not in a race with anyone meaning you are 3rd 2nd is right in front of you and you are battling and the leader is coming up to lap you both he needs to relax and wait for his time to get around clean and let the other 2 race it out.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tc3team
tell me, were you naturally gifted at racing when you started out, or did you crash into others?

And when that next A final win is in sight next time out, just make sure you watch your back if you've been punting others out the way, what's good for one is good for another, so the saying goes (running shoes won't make a single bit of difference then either)...
Naturally gifted..... more bothered about karting when I was younger though.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Naturally gifted..... more bothered about karting when I was younger though.
Unfortunately, not everyone you are going to race against in your rc life is going to be naturally gifted too though, and pass you, or let you lap them in a clean way...

Or is your car covered in bubble wrap for such incidents?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Reading this thread with interest. As a race director and a mid level racer I have days where my own racing is curbed because I spend more time helping other, sometimes newer, drivers get their cars working or having talks about this very subject. Just had it recently with 1 of our guys who's a serious nascar junkie. His general attitude was "rubbin is racing". I'm actually very glad to see the overwhelming attitude here is that there is still a sense of honor and sportsmanship when we race our toy cars. For me and many others the thrill of winning a CLEANLY run race is still the best. To walk off the stand and be congratulated by fellow drivers is SO much better than walking off as other drivers make comments on how you hacked them or stole that race. Yes it may happen none the less...there are always the disgruntled...but they're usually and hopefully the minority.
I took a break from RC for awhile partially because of way to many lousy attitudes from to many drivers when I was in TC class. I've now returned and found a home with RCGT. Maybe the general focus of this class has something to do with it or maybe we're all seeing what many of us always saw.......We're a bunch of people playing with toy cars !!!!! The competition is for fun and learning. An EXTREMELY small number of us make a living doing this. If you're that good a driver then spend more time teaching others the right way rather than making them targets. Times are tough and money is short....make every effort to make RC Racing WORTH staying in or you may find yourself with no one to race against.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Suspended

I've got a tc5... nice and cheap parts so it doesn't bother me..

These xrays and schumachers on the other hand..... arm and a leg for spare parts
Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You know what...I've read most of the post and I really think it's a combination of things...but fairly simple.

1) Race director should announce the leader, car color, position on the track...etc.
2) Slower traffic should make reasonable attempts to move.
3) Faster traffic should be patient, BUT to a limit. No one should be forced to wait a lap or so to pass.

I have been in both places. If I find slower traffic trying to race me then I'm less inclined to be patient. But if I see someone taking wider turns trying to let me by then I will wait until I can make a clean pass. I have been my own worst enemy sometimes being too aggressive, especially in qualifiers. But on the flip side, I've been stuck in slow qualifiers and have to run fast to get into a faster qualifier. And I always try my best to get out of the way of faster traffic. Cuz I'd feel like an ass if I bumped the leader...as should anyone.

I think a simple drivers meeting before a race laying out proper etiquette will work wonders. At least then drivers will be forewarned.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hi troll
Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

I've got a tc5... nice and cheap parts so it doesn't bother me..

These xrays and schumachers on the other hand..... arm and a leg for spare parts
Can we tbone you whilst you're up on your side on 2 wheels and see how durable that chassis is? j/k!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.