R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-06-2014, 12:50 AM   #466
Tech Initiate

Hey guys.
Does Serpent still manufacture the S120 Link version of this car? I think it's P#400003?
Or is the kit obsolete/updated with the LTX?
(I emailed serpent and never got a response)
And how does the LTX with its forward pivot brace(?) compare to the Link version?
TurboJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #467
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJuice View Post
Hey guys.
Does Serpent still manufacture the S120 Link version of this car? I think it's P#400003?
Or is the kit obsolete/updated with the LTX?
(I emailed serpent and never got a response)
And how does the LTX with its forward pivot brace(?) compare to the Link version?
LTX is a link car too

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #468
Tech Initiate

Yes Mr Bull. I know that. But the S120 Link, and S120 LTX are different chassis. The LTX has the front shock mount
Old 05-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #469
Tech Initiate

plate/bar...the VBC lightning has the same chassi design. I'm noticing newer versions are sporting this front bar mount and going inline battery placement. They on to something??
Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #470
Tech Master

The inline battery set up has advantages for the insane grip found at major races, as the grip goes down it loses it's advantage. Either set up can be competitive at most tracks. Getting the right balance and driving it to the limit are more important than the battery location or even the brand of the car at most tracks.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #471
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hi guys i am new to 1/12th , loving my serpent s120 ltx ,just a little more rear traction would be nice, just seeing if there are any tricks i should know to get more rear end beside tyre choices, i run on ashphalt, any advice would be greatly appreciated
cheers
oldenuff
oldenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #472
Tech Regular

I think posting your set up, or pictures of your car would help get you tips.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #473
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuff View Post
hi guys i am new to 1/12th , loving my serpent s120 ltx ,just a little more rear traction would be nice, just seeing if there are any tricks i should know to get more rear end beside tyre choices, i run on ashphalt, any advice would be greatly appreciated
cheers
oldenuff
Providing the car is built correctly, no binding anywhere and such
Tires will be the most important effect on traction

What tires are you using, are you applying anything to them, what size are they

Is the asphalt surface clean with some treatment applied, or a dusty parking lot

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:05 AM   #474
Tech Regular

hi guys, i am running ulti tyres medium up front and extra soft in the rear, i do apply traction compound to the rear tyres only , i dont true the tyres but i try to keep the rear tyres a little larger then the front , I do race on a proper outdoor asphalt track that is cleaned ( blown ) before use but not treated with anything, I notice on racedays the grip is better then other days which is to be expected , and i still have room to move for tyre choice harder and softer, i was just wondering if tyres are the only options available to me or if there is some other trick i should know hence my first post . I currently do not race my 1/12th at our club meets (GWSRCCC)
mainly because there is no class run here and i am still trying to get a handle on driving it consistently as it is a lot more difficult ( and probably rewarding ) to drive then my xray t4 that i race in a lola bodied foam tyre mod class we run at our club (235 OUTLAW 1/10 ). with touring cars there are a hell of a lot of adjustments which don't exist for 1/12th which is a blessing, just asking if i am missing something or are tyres the be all and end all. This is my first 1/12th and am still learning the class, the car is driveable , just a little more rear traction ( or some may say a gentler finger ) would be good.
Thank you for all of your responses, and if someone has anything else to share ( a magic wand perhaps ? ) it would be appreciated
cheers
oldenuff

Last edited by oldenuff; 06-01-2014 at 01:08 AM. Reason: missed info
Old 06-01-2014, 01:44 AM   #475
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TOADYY

What side springs are you using? Do you have the battery in-line or lateral with the motor? If you put it lateral, more weight will transfer to the rear which will give you more traction. How much tire traction are you applying to the front tires?

Another trick is to put SPF 30+ suntan lotion on top the tire traction, massage it in and let it soaking for about 10-15 min. and wipe off. Traction will last longer on asphalt with this old skool trick.

"Pro 10, the only way to fly around the track!"
TOADYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:22 AM   #476
Tech Regular

Arrow

Thanks TOADYY for the reply , i do have the battery laterally positioned as you say, i am just using the original side springs and 20,000 weight oil in the link tubes, i was told ( incorrectly or correctly i am not sure )that this will make little difference but if you reckon it does it is worth investigating, should the springs and or oil be softer or harder?. I am not applying any traction adhesive to the front tyres as i believe this would negate using the traction compound at the back but again if anyone has more input here i will take it on board .
I will be trying the 30 plus lotion though, i have heard a while back when i was first getting into on road that it works but have never tried it so i guess now is the time to try it out, i had forgotten about this one so thanks for the tip.
cheers
oldenuff
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #477
Tech Master

You can use firm front tires rather than medium. Check the edges of you chssis to see if it shows any sign of dragging. On asphalt the can must be stiff enough side to side to stop the chassis from touching the track. Where does your grip go away? Just a general lack of grip, suddenly loses grip mid corner or slips when accelerating?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #478
Tech Regular

thanks lonny for the reply. The chassis does not scrape and i was thinking of trying harder compound in the front which was to be my next move, the spinning out occurs on throttle, i can only give absolute minimum throttle which is to be expected and isnt really a problem, its on the really tight corners at low speed even the minimum throttle can sometimes be to much, i know i am running 4.5 t mod motor and i gotta go easy, but im just looking for any special tricks besides tyre choice, but judging by the responses i have got it does pretty much come down to tyres and having the car built correctly, I am interested to know if using stiffer or softer springs/oil for the link will help?.
cheers
oldenuff
Old 06-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #479
Tech Master

You can go softer on the side springs and/or lighter lube in the tubes as long as the chassis does not touch down at the sides. Softening the center spring/shock may also help, but again do not let the chassis touch down. Other tricks you can try include raising the front ride height .5 to 1mm higher than the rear. Example 4.5 front, 4.0 center, 4.0 rear. You can also add more caster. This will affect the steering all through the corner but it will reduce on power steering at exit. Widen the front track. Serpent makes a set of offset front are mounts which will increase the front track width. Lengthen the upper arm and/or raise the inner upper arm pivot. This reduces camber gain when the chassis rolls and decreases steering. Reduce front camber, but this may cause uneven wear across the front tire. Last, use a stiffer front spring. This will reduce steering response across the board, but may unsettle the car over any bumps. I would try these one at a time until you get the response you want. If none work exactly right, use the one that gets you closest then add on another. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #480
Tech Regular

Smile

thanks heaps Lonny for the response, this is pretty much exactly the info i am after, and will give me room to fine tune my setup over the coming weeks and months, thanks again
cheers
oldenuff