R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mamba 5700kv motor question

i was driving the other night and everything was fine until my car all of a sudden started to trip out and stall. i turned off everything and my motor was hotter then usual. i stopped racing after that. but ever since my motor gets extremely hot within like 3 minutes and it has this weird smell coming from the motor.

it still runs like normal. but the smell and the temp is worring me.. think its time for a new motor?
bernyberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

little help here
Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Default Some help,need some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernyberns View Post
i was driving the other night and everything was fine until my car all of a sudden started to trip out and stall. i turned off everything and my motor was hotter then usual. i stopped racing after that. but ever since my motor gets extremely hot within like 3 minutes and it has this weird smell coming from the motor.

it still runs like normal. but the smell and the temp is worring me.. think its time for a new motor?
It is hard to tell with the limited information given. It is important to know what the motor is in, the setup etc.

General thoughts. If you just put this motor in a car chances are it is not geared right. In general a 5700 Kv motor will need a lower gear ratio than the stock motor it replaced. Go down at least a couple of teeth on the pinion to begin with. You should have a temp gage, the Ofan one is great. Donot run more than 155 to 175 degrees. Check all parts of the motor till you find the hotspot. If you are running the motor in a car with a slipper clutch make sure it's not slipping too much.
My last assumption is that you are not running a Lipo that is beyond the capabilities of the motor esc combo. I think the 5700 Castle will do a 3S lipo and no more, but check that.

If it had always been running well and this is a new problem and you didn't change anything then the motor is probably going bad. Using the instructions, check the input voltage to the motor to make sure that the ESC has not gone bad.

Beyond that contact Castle Creations.

Depending on your car there are forums that have more specific recommendations about gearing, but you will notice that with a smaller pinion and or a bigger spur the engine temps should come down.

Hope all this helps

Jim

Hope this helps
authorjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

ill have to check to see if my esc has gone bad. my bad for not giving more info. i probley killed my set up as i geared way up only to see crazy speeds. though i never went full throttle. not even 30 percent.
but im running a schumacher mi3.5 pro. i started with a eighty nine tooth spur gear and a 20t pinion. then i went to a 66 spur gear and a 41t pinion. im probley going to get screamed at for the super high gearing but i never went fast as it was way to much to control. so i ended up tapping the gas the whole time.

and im running 3s lipo
Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

i got the mamba max pro esc. it can handle up to 6s lipo so im hoping that the esc is at least ok
Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

sounds like you overheated the motor and it demagnatized the magnets. Thats why it runs hot now no matter the gearing. you could try talking with castle about it.
they have great support.
phil
phildoggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the CM36s high kv motors are only able to handle 2S. if you went higher than that, then there's your problem. (there's a sticker on the back of the motor that blatantly states: '2S MAX')

otherwise, contact castle... they have wonderful support
Old 11-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEe_NYC View Post
the CM36s high kv motors are only able to handle 2S. if you went higher than that, then there's your problem. (there's a sticker on the back of the motor that blatantly states: '2S MAX')

otherwise, contact castle... they have wonderful support
the 5700kv motor can handle 3s. thats what i have. the 6900, 7700, and the 9000 can only handle 2s lipo
Old 11-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

so its the motor that needs to be replaced and not the esc??
Old 11-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Well to me it sunds like the motor.. The esc isn't going to make the motor smell.
phil
phildoggg is offline   Reply With Quote