R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Got pictures of the tires? Is it worse where the sauce was on the tire or is it bad everywhere? I presume someone has actually checked the vac bag to make sure the vacuum is working properly and actually picking stuff up?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Got pictures of the tires? Is it worse where the sauce was on the tire or is it bad everywhere? I presume someone has actually checked the vac bag to make sure the vacuum is working properly and actually picking stuff up?
No and... no? I'll get some pictures and check the vac bag. The stuff on the tires appears to be worst on the outside ring of the tires where I don't sauce.

Yeti: Come on down to Denver, we've got two carpet tracks in the vicinity.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

As seaball said this used to happen at IRP raceway and I have been to another track in WI that seems to have the same problem. I don't think either track has/had HD carpet, it was older. Basically, as the tires heat up, they attract the loose fibers in the track.

1/12 cars become undriveable 1/2 way through the race. Mostly you need to run tries like gray, black, yellow, etc with low natural rubber content. Purples or Magentas will wrap with fiber.

Similarly, rubber tires get loose as the tires heat. A track like that will tell you how much you are sliding your car around. The cars set up softer have more mechanical grip and treat the tires much better.

Just run softer, and as was pointed out earlier, ditch the beater bar on the vac.

One last thing, the commonality among the two tracks besides yours is Jack only. I have really never seen this on Paragon. Maybe try another odorless sauce?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
As seaball said this used to happen at IRP raceway and I have been to another track in WI that seems to have the same problem. I don't think either track has/had HD carpet, it was older. Basically, as the tires heat up, they attract the loose fibers in the track.

1/12 cars become undriveable 1/2 way through the race. Mostly you need to run tries like gray, black, yellow, etc with low natural rubber content. Purples or Magentas will wrap with fiber.

Similarly, rubber tires get loose as the tires heat. A track like that will tell you how much you are sliding your car around. The cars set up softer have more mechanical grip and treat the tires much better.

Just run softer, and as was pointed out earlier, ditch the beater bar on the vac.

One last thing, the commonality among the two tracks besides yours is Jack only. I have really never seen this on Paragon. Maybe try another odorless sauce?
If it were up to me, we'd just run Paragon, but there's a lot of things that keep that from being an option. As for trying a new odorless sauce, aren't there concerns about mixing traction compounds on a track? I seem to remember hearing that was a bad idea. You might be on to something with nasty Jack, though.

A couple of years ago our club bought some ridiculous amount of carpet and used it to set up a giant temporary track. I think we put about 8 full race days on it. That carpet was later used to build the track we had been running on since last October, which didn't have the issue we're experiencing now. The carpet of that track was taped to the tile floor below. About 6 weeks ago we moved to a new space in the same complex and used the remainder of that original carpet, plus a new roll of the same style carpet for the straight. This track was glued to a wood subfloor, but it's the one that's been having the dirty tire issue. I don't know if the construction of the track can be a factor or not, I'm just kind of approaching it from all angles.

I'll be back out tomorrow, so I'll try softening the car a bit and see if that helps.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Tech Lord

While I still think our track is prone to the problem I described, in the end, I can't help but wonder if I was partially blaming the track for setup deficiencies. I made some setup changes that not only helped with the tire issue, but also made the car easier to drive and more consistent without losing time. I suppose it's a good lesson to learn that there's no place for complacency in RC. Thanks again to everybody for sharing their ideas.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #21
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

hi Adam - happy to hear you might of gotten your problem straightened out.

one last Q - do you have a mix of rubber and foam tire racers? are the foam tire guys being effected the same way? are they seeing glazing on the untreated foam?
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #22
Tech Elite

we see the same senario here at our track with the Jacos... but seem to only hapen when they are new. once the smuge builds up on the outer front tire. I just clean with a tool to scrape it off, completly clean it off, and I bet you will see it does not come back. Only when I put a new set on doesit happen and likeI said after a cleaning it does not come back.

we have the same carpet, on sub-floor and Jack the gripper.
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post

one last Q - do you have a mix of rubber and foam tire racers? are the foam tire guys being effected the same way? are they seeing glazing on the untreated foam?
Yes, and they are getting a build of fuzz on the foam tires which makes the cars push off the track.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post

Yeah, like Art said, the foam tires really get wrapped up with fuzz and start to push. It's been better for them since the loose fuzz isn't around so much. But the fuzz smashed into the groove still seems to affect some of the rubber guys. We don't have an foam sedans, but there's a healthy 1/12 and WGT class.

I tracked down a video of Horsham after Larry mentioned we're running similar layouts, and it's uncanny just how close they are. Check it out: Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
we see the same senario here at our track with the Jacos... but seem to only hapen when they are new. once the smuge builds up on the outer front tire. I just clean with a tool to scrape it off, completly clean it off, and I bet you will see it does not come back. Only when I put a new set on doesit happen and likeI said after a cleaning it does not come back.

we have the same carpet, on sub-floor and Jack the gripper.
One of our locals was out your way a few months ago, and came back raving about the track. He left convinced a sub-floor was the way to go, and talked it up to all of us. I'm glad he did, not having jumps under our carpet makes it much easier to concentrate.

We definitely see the same thing with new tires. Usually the first run or two they come off coated, and require a good bit of scrubbing. This was true even of our old track. I don't remember if that was the case in Vegas, but I don't think so. In the past, that would go away after a few runs and good cleanings, but here it's been a little more persistent. I wonder if the new Jacos with the reinforced wheel will be any different?