R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2002, 09:47 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to irtehpwn

Maybe KO just restricts their speedo's 20% so that they can market this super hop-up and make all sorts of cash?
irtehpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:51 AM   #17
Tech Initiate

The small sucker is Pat pend so it must be more than a capacitor in there. I will give you all a report about it after I have tested it tomorrow on the track.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 02:41 PM   #18
Tech Adept

You would be suprised what you can put a patent on. You can actually patent an already existing invention if its used in a new way.

KO has made ESC's before and they were never really much account, so I really don't see them as on the cutting edge of ESC design.

Was this motor under any sort of load, what was the current draw?
patcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:16 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by WHITESTER
I'm no electrical engineer, but I can't understand how it would work. You can't make energy from nothing. And the only way to make the motors RPM's go up, is to supply more energy than the batts are supplying. I'm sure it is some device that "stores" energy, but how it increases RPM's is beyond my mental capabilities. LOL
You wouldn't have to supply more energy, if you stepped up the voltage you'd get more RPM (you'd lose amps tho, so you'd be trading punch for top speed)

Perhaps it senses the amp draw of the motor falling off as the car approaches its top speed, then steps up the voltage to get more rpm (at that point you could afford to trade some torque for RPM)

Trips
Old 03-04-2002, 06:34 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trips a motor never actually reaches its top free wheel RPM in a car because of drag. When a motors RPM increases the torque decreases, when its torque gets to the point that it equals the drag on the car it quits accelerating and the RPM quits climbing.

In theory it could increase the voltage at the expense of loosing some energy due to efficiency being under 100% but it would still draw more current.

Just the name Hyper Booster gives me the impression there is some smoke and mirrors going on here, sounds too much like something from an infomercial. Maybe Ron Popeil invented it.
patcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:49 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

I cant' see how a step-up converter could ever work if it's attached the way it is. It even has only two wires. Also it's size is just too small for a step-up converter or an energy storage.
You who suggest it's an energy storage, what physical phenomenon do you have in mind?
KO said it helps to increase the efficiency of the motor. This might mean that it is using the motor's own reverse currents and feeds them back to the motor. Of course this will never work on full throttle and thus will never increase max power.
People, don't mix up energy with power :-)
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 03:14 AM   #22
Tech Elite

I've seen it on KO's site, but don't got any further info.

However, my thoughts about it goes like this: The ESC are using PWM, which is a kind of a digital signal. The motor is pure analog design, so in the real world, the motor is working like a digital to analog converter device. Basically, DC-motors aren't designed for that kind of use. So I assume the Hyper Booster are a filter device, that transform the PWM signal to a type, which is better for the motor. Therefor it will only increase performance in the middle area, not at full throttle. And certaintly not at zero throttle...

I've noticed the phrase "up to" 20 %. Also, 65 euro sounds quite expensive. I would prefer a brushless motor.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 04:32 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

Me too.
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:50 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Hello Robert,
What are the results of your testing and how did you test it ?
I read the thread and it seems interesting but does it perform ?
Did you test it with a KO speedo ?
CU,
Spiller
Spillertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 03:27 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Now I'm back from the track!

I have had some of my team mates to test it and we have done it both practic and in simulation.

First we installed it on a AE TC3 with a normal 15*3 modified motor. It was tested on a "rolling road" and with normal Shottky we got 55km/h and with the booster 57km/h.
Speedo was a Swedish made one called Advanced and it's a quite ordinary speedo like GM V12, batterys was Sanyo 3000H.

Then the booster was tested on a 1:12 carpet racer with EFRA regulation motor and 4-cells. It was difficult to feel any difference in power and speed. But when we took the car in after 8min we found out that the motor was cool! It was not even 40 centigrades warm!
The 1:12 racer had a MRT speedo, GM EVO3 12*2 motor and Sanyo 3000H cells.

So as it seems now the small thing is working! We didn't get 20% more power or so, but we think 5% higher speed and cool motor is worth the money after all.

Some one asked abut the situation at the fair. It was a little hard to get all the information there, the guys are not so good on Eng and we not so good on Japanese. I will ask my friend that had time to see it more if he remember any details.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:51 AM   #26
dw
Tech Adept

Robert, where is it patent pending?
I did a us patent ( and application) search and came up with nothing I tried putting both ko propo and hyper booster, ad electornic speed control into the search engine but came up with nothing.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 07:00 AM   #27
Tech Initiate

I don't know actually. I can imagine that it's for teh EU and Jp market. If I remember correct, they have Pat pend on the electronic one touch ON/OFF button aswell.

I will get a VFS2000 speedo tonight. I got it from the KO dist here in Sweden to see if the power and so will be matched if booster is installed with a KO speedo. I will test it on race track on Sunday.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:13 AM   #28
dw
Tech Adept

Searched for patents in us and japan under the kondo kagaku which is ko's parent company and found patents relating to the on off switch and various features of their esc's but nothing on the hyper booster. I am also deeply offended to see that they describe the cars not as models, not as radio control, but as "TOY" cars, in their patents.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:25 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to FinalBlade

Is there anyway you could hook up more than one of those suckers to a motor because it would be like the r/c version of nos.
FinalBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 09:41 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to WHITESTER

You ever hear that old saying, "The only thing that fishing lure caught, was the fisherman!" LOL
WHITESTER is offline   Reply With Quote