R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default reedy quazar charger blows up gp3300

we had a racer that blew up a pack of gp3300 using a reedy charger. Was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem with the charger.

here is the tread

http://www.rcfiles.com/forums/showth...&threadid=4450

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

another black mark for the quasar... was it a pro?
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
Tech Elite

yup packs were new and charger was just purchased this past sunday

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
Old 02-24-2004, 10:46 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've blown up packs with Novak Digi Peaks, Milleniums, Competition Turbo Chargers Pitbulls, Turbo 30's, 35's, Integy 16x2.5, 5, 5v6 and a Tekin BC100C at some point in time over the last 18 years of racing. Does that mean they are all garbage? Not at all.

The fact of the matter is it happens from time to time. You can try to prevent it by taking care of your packs and making sure your chargers are set correctly but it will happen.

I have a Quasar Pro and it works great. It does get the cells hot so i set the peak detect a little lower to be safe for club races but at big races I just let them heat up....they are faster that way.

I bet there is nothing wrong with your charger. Check your settings, try it with a practice pack and it should be fine.

If you get rid of chargers when ever this happens you will be out of ways to charge your packs pretty soon.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:49 AM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by theisgroup
yup packs were new and charger was just purchased this past sunday
Looking at that thread some one else also had a battery go BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

This ain't good.......
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:50 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Also, never let new batteries (or old ones that have sat for a while) charge unsupervised. They can do some goofy stuff and usually you can just unlpug them if they are taking to long or getting too hot.....but you gotta be there.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:03 AM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

guys i agree with adrianm there isnt anything wrong with the reedy chargers i had 2 of them at once and the only reason i got rid of them was i wanted a motor run function and my other t30 was feeling lonely!
the quasars are awsome i wish they had a motor run function.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to UnderDaHill

I had a Millennium nuke a pack recently. Up until then it had never failed to charge a battery safely. But the pack was getting old so it was no surprise and definately not because the charger is junk. Like AdrianM said... sometimes this just happens. Plus not every person at the track knows how to charge their batteries safely. I've seen people repeaking there GP3300's when they are still hot, charging GP3300's with a REALLY high peak detect, charging GP3300's at 7amps right after racing with and discharging them (minutes later).

If I do something stupid my new GP3300's would go BOOM also. In rare cases even a new pack that is charged correctly will go BOOM. It just happens.

That pack I nuked was aslo super hot when it tanked. It had not be charged for over a year. If I did like AdrianM said and kept an eye on it I would still be using that pack today instead of recycling it.

I watched all my NEW gp3300's charge the first time and had one get exceptionally hot so I shut off the charger. But now that pack charges just fine, it was the first charge that was a bit goofy and if I had my peak detect any higher or had left it to charge on it's own I might have lost $50 investement. Since a Turbo 35 uses the same mechanism to detect peak I could have smoked my pack even on that charger if I hadn't watched it.

My $0.02
UnderDaHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I got two Quasar pros and they treat my 3300 packs just right! Sorry to hear about the blown batteries tho! Definitely the settings should be double checked! Best of Luck then!

STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:50 PM   #10
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
I've blown up packs with Novak Digi Peaks, Milleniums, Competition Turbo Chargers Pitbulls, Turbo 30's, 35's, Integy 16x2.5, 5, 5v6 and a Tekin BC100C at some point in time over the last 18 years of racing. Does that mean they are all garbage? Not at all.

The fact of the matter is it happens from time to time. You can try to prevent it by taking care of your packs and making sure your chargers are set correctly but it will happen.

I have a Quasar Pro and it works great. It does get the cells hot so i set the peak detect a little lower to be safe for club races but at big races I just let them heat up....they are faster that way.

I bet there is nothing wrong with your charger. Check your settings, try it with a practice pack and it should be fine.

If you get rid of chargers when ever this happens you will be out of ways to charge your packs pretty soon.
Note to self: Don't hang out in Adrian's pit. ..hehe..

I've never seen a battery blow up, but I have seen several vent for many reasons, overcharging, shorting, ect. It happens, and usually ( but not always ) it's human error.

I had a pack that was around 230*F not to long ago, came off the track, a guy called for a minute's grace in the next race, so i went to put my pack on the T-35 for a discharge. Hooked it up, pressed start, and ran off. Come back after marshalling the race to see a "CHARGE DONE" on the charger. Turns out, I used my T-35 to re-peak ( 90% of the time I only use it for motors and discharging once the heats start ), and dumb me never checked which mode it was in.

Gotta love GP batteries though, the pack hasn't fallen off yet!
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:33 PM   #11
Tech Adept

As I was right there when it happened, I think it is premature to blame the charger. The battery overheated, that was obvious. Was it the charger, the settings, the battery? Who knows, and no one will know. The batts blew because the shink melted and they shorted--a symptom but deinitely not proof of any cause.

It did scare the crap out of me though. I had just put my face down over the car looking at the batt.
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

a while back i my quasar pro would charge any packs but the old sanyo 2400 and panasonic 3000, then after that started happing my friends started doing the same exact thing. we sent to reedy and the told us that they couldnt even figure out what was going on so they kept them to do test on and sent us two brand new chargers.

lazy
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:36 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by 24601
As I was right there when it happened, I think it is premature to blame the charger. The battery overheated, that was obvious. Was it the charger, the settings, the battery? Who knows, and no one will know. The batts blew because the shink melted and they shorted--a symptom but deinitely not proof of any cause.

It did scare the crap out of me though. I had just put my face down over the car looking at the batt.
was he using a graphite chassis or a plastic tub chassis?

Old 02-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #14
Tech Champion

TRS6 - By blow up I mean vent. I've never had a battery explode...lol! And not very often. Once every couple of years.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:41 PM   #15
Tech Master

The combination of new charger and new batts is a bad one. There are too many variables to probably ever tell what really happened. Im glad no body got seriously injured. I have a Quasar Pro and it works great for me. never false peaks and my packs perform flawlessly. I did hvae to replace it when it was new. The second time I used it it went up in a puff of smoke. But it was replaced no problem. Also the fans that cool them are junk. Both of mine were bad from day one. I replaced them myself and added a modded case to make it look cool.