Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deans wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Deans wire

Is there an alternative? What do you all use on your batteries and speed controls?

Last edited by broqenjeep; 11-09-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2009, 02:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by broqenjeep
Is there an alteat spernative? What do you all use on your batteries and speed controls?
I'm a fan of TQ wires
Old 11-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TQ is the shizz-- 600 strands super flexy--
Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Havent heard of them. Where do you get it. Im an Electrician and the supply houses cant match the deans to anything. I need about 8 feet to redo my stuff, it could all be the same color. I'll tag the ends with red or black heatshrink.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Just found TQ Racings site, $1.50 per foot. LHS has deans for the same, still looking for or options.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just found TQ Racings site, $1.50 per foot. LHS has deans for the same, still looking for or options.
So are you looking for good wire or a cheaper alternative? Those two aren't necessarily the same thing.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GasGod
TQ is the shizz-- 600 strands super flexy--
Wholesalers stock "hook up" wire with a low strand count and pvc type insulation because it's cheaper to produce and honestly suits the need for "mainstream" electronics.

I couldn't find what I wanted either, so I started TQ Racing in 1990 to produce the finest slot car leadwire available. Our RC products are based on the same philosophy. The downside is it costs more to manufacture.

aBailey21 & GasGod - Thanks for the kind words.

OP - I hope you give TQ Products a try.

Ralph
Old 11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

$1.50 a foot is not too much to ask for wire of the quality of TQ and Deans. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For 12th you pretty much need to have TQ wire if you want to have a car that isn't tweaked. There are a couple of others that are good but TQ wire is a lot easier to get in the US.

For sedan, there are a few options. TQ makes a great wire and Deans has been around for what seems like forever. Beleive it or not, the Tekin wire that comes with the RS is pretty good for sedan. The heavy gage wires seem to act like a heatsink and help the motor and speedo run cooler.

Cheap wire is just that cheap wire. $10 for wire that will last all season is pretty cheap compared to a set of tires or a body that doesn't last long.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Dean wire at 12 gauge wire. Novak wire uses 16 gauge wire. Some people have problem soldering Deans wire the to ESC, Cuz wire larger than ESC post. Novak is smaller gauge, and easier to solder on ESC posts.

The larger the wire it cooler the motor run, opposite with the smaller gauge wire. Larger wire dissapates heat better. Heat everybody knows the resistance is greater

Dean wire are more flexible. Other strand wire, such as hook up wire not as flexible. Deans uses a silicone insulator which is more flexible.

Between the two 12ga & 16ga wire!! 12 ga I'd prefer. But it's up to you.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

you can't go wrong with Tq wire, its the best stuff out there. for a Touring car go with the 13G and if its for a 12th scale the 16G..
Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm a fan of Dean's Wet Noodle wire. It is composed of 1660 strands of copper...

I use it on RC and Robotics and anything that requires high flex.

It costs a pretty penny but it's worth it IMO...

If I can't find it, I use Dean's Ultra Wire, it's the second best IMO...

Avoid the crap/junk you get at electronic stores, usually their 12 awg is less than 50 strands, which makes it feel stiff...

Solid wire? Forget it, only if you're routing wires that will never move or in an environment that does not have any vibration (such as a wall)...

A word of warning though, Wet Noodles have such high strand count, "wicking" solder into it takes a good solid soldering iron to do it. I use two soldering iron to hit it hard and fast...

heheh

Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ralph m
Wholesalers stock "hook up" wire with a low strand count and pvc type insulation because it's cheaper to produce and honestly suits the need for "mainstream" electronics.

I couldn't find what I wanted either, so I started TQ Racing in 1990 to produce the finest slot car leadwire available. Our RC products are based on the same philosophy. The downside is it costs more to manufacture.

aBailey21 & GasGod - Thanks for the kind words.

OP - I hope you give TQ Products a try.

Ralph
Ralph ... They only apeak the truth. Love your wire!!!!