R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #106
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
You can also send your old transponder or amb clone transponder and with some extra money you get the new one.
I would suggest people not do that. Based on what AMB has done in the past it is probably just an attempt to get the old ones off the streets so they can jack up the prices. You can likely sell the old one for within the $25 upgrade fee and just buy a new one. Helps out your fellow racers at the same time.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #107
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I would suggest people not do that. Based on what AMB has done in the past it is probably just an attempt to get the old ones off the streets so they can jack up the prices. You can likely sell the old one for within the $25 upgrade fee and just buy a new one. Helps out your fellow racers at the same time.

MAR release !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #108
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll never buy one until they cost under 50.00 like they used to. I don't support companys that don't support us racers. They just want to take advantage of us by raising the price 400 percent because they were selling so fast I'll walk 200 feet before every race to get the house transponder before I'll submit to there blackmail

RC Sailboat, 3RC planes, SC5m, Yuneec Typhoon Quadcopter
speeddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #109
Tech Master

I don't complain about it.
I'm happy with my new transponder. I still have my old one but that one goes in my M-03.

The new one has a better wire and is a lot smaller.
I think that as I buy a second TC that I will let it clone by AMB.
Than I have 2 the same.

Soon the AMB decoder will be updated for free to the 4th version and than can you see track temp and air temp.
Also the voltage on the receiver.
AMB is working on more what I understand.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #110
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Yes I can easily afford this overpriced red box........Nooooooo I will never buy one at their current pricing...ever
That could be part of the problem too.......
not enough sales volume to recoup the r&d costs Boo Hoo
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #111
Tech Champion

Anyone know the status of the shipments to the US? The site said March 1 but it no longer says that.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #112
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

I know I had my LHS order direct from AMB [needed a transponder anyway], was on back order for nearly 2 months before it came in, got it last week and it was still the old style.

AMB had been promising the newest style due to the very long back order, but still not coming here yet.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #113
Tech Champion

I ordered 12 on Jan 21, so hopefully it is not too long.

Last edited by or8ital; 03-01-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #114
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddaddy View Post
I'll never buy one until they cost under 50.00 like they used to. I don't support companys that don't support us racers. They just want to take advantage of us by raising the price 400 percent because they were selling so fast I'll walk 200 feet before every race to get the house transponder before I'll submit to there blackmail
i totally agree speeddaddy
if they were a reasonable 25$ id have them in every chassis i run
thing that really pisses me off is that compuchip systems i used to do bike races had 4$ disposable transponders, ya 4$ put a couple wires on and voila 85$, still better than 105$ but seriously they could do alot better

i think the new one sucks! i dont mind it being 20$ less, thats a relief, but wtf is that stoopid holder doing past production??? why not have the wires run into this too???, the only dammage ive seen done to a transponder was the wires coming out, i could care less about velcro/permanent holdster, just make plugging the wires in and out of the reciever go away
Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #115
Tech Champion

Latest from mylaps is now they "hope" sometime in april they can ship them. I also found out they don't ship from europe but they ship from the US so not sure why they are charging $20 shipping. Nice of them to tie up $800 of mine for several months.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #116
Tech Adept

"Soon the AMB decoder will be updated for free to the 4th version and than can you see track temp and air temp."

I love that one. What next? Will it tell me it's raining.
Just how much Info do we need?
We're not racing F1's for Million dollars win.
It's R/C cars.

25yrs. in this, from hand counting to stop watches.
Give me a transponder that counts my laps everytime I cross the line and at good price. I'll figure out the rest.
I'm LMAO "you see track temp and air temp"
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #117
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I think most clubs should take a vote for the following.
Sell the amb system they are currently using. buy the robotronic system.
tell their racers to sell the amb transponders here. 70-80 each. Buy 2 robo units for the price of the amb they just sold for 70. and the racers are happy and the track just made like 500+++ and has a system that works just as good and already tells you all that info that amb is STILL working for their new stuff.
That is the trend in europe and I say we do the same here. I would gladly buy a robo unit for 39.99 and they are cool too. JM02
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 AM   #118
Tech Master

April is the new date for the U.S.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #119
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I also found out they don't ship from europe but they ship from the US so not sure why they are charging $20 shipping.
They've aways charged me $20 shipping... whether it was 1 transponder or 30, COAX or decoder... or any combination of the above.
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #120
sac
Tech Regular

For tracks looking for a lap counter there are alternative's.The I-LAP is the best alternative to a AMB,even over the Robotronics.
I have been running the I-LAP going on three season and it has worked flawless!yes the AMB is used at large events,but who care's.Most racing is club racing and i am willing to bet less than 10% of rc racers will ever attend a big national event.
All these systems do is count laps ,and both do a great job of that.
I-LAP PT'S are around $40 ,which helps keep the cost down.For those track owners who maybe interested in the i-lap system don't let the racers talk you into a AMB if you can't afford it,it is not worth putting yourself in debt for it!for those who will complain about it not being a AMB they will come around once they see it work.Just offer a track set of transponders,that way the racer who does not want to put out for a PT can race without the extra expense.Also the one's who complain about it not being a AMB don't have to put out extra for a PT and leaves them no excuse for not racing at your track.
The I-LAP system is used at many tracks here in the U.S and there are many tracks in Europe using it as well.They are sold all over the world and gaining popularity because people are getting tired of the over priced AMB.

Die hard racers will race no matter what type of lap counter is being used!!Just think they could always go back to hand counting!!
For the racer who say's he will not race at a track were AMB is not used .your not a racer just some who looks for excuses not to race,and a lap counter is not a good excuse!

Lets face people will complain about the cost of the AMB systems $3500+ new and they will complain about the cost of the transponder $90+,but most of you will still buy because you think you need it and that is what AMB/MYLAPS is counting on.

I-LAP website www.rclapcounter.com

SAC

Last edited by sac; 03-05-2010 at 11:46 AM.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote