R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default NEW SPEC FOAM TIRE RAN AT THE HALLOWEEN CLASSIC 20$ A SET

i really like the new spec foam tire. i didnt notice any performane loss to the magenta compound at least in 17.5 foam class when testing at the home track. i only spent 100$ the hole weekend at the halloween classic on tires. (5 sets).

i think the tires last a lot longer than the magentas because you dont have to cut the tires down to a small size for good performance, they work really good at bigger diameters also. junior norton who tq'ed and won started his tires at 2.30 for qualifying and mains and ran them down from there.

at or home track, med to high bite(tristate hobbies) in 17.5 foam the fast lap was a 10.2 by junior norton my fastest lap was a 10.3 on 2.21 tires i switched to a 2.33 size tire and turned a 10.2 also.

no more one run foam tires awesome, and you cant argue with results.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I ran just one set the whole weekend (I had bought two just in case). Not a bad deal at all for a weekend of racing. In fact I could probably keep running them for a couple more club races if I wanted.

I hadn't driven foam in 3-4 years. I forgot how easy the cars were to drive vs rubber. May be a way to bring in some new blood.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Are we talking FOAM Sedan?

What compound were the tires, Lilac?
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Tech Master

i baught 5 sets but only used 3.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Tech Master

yes 17.5 foam sedan
Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Tech Master

yes the tires are the lilac compound. i glued the front sidewall doped full rear and 1/3 to 1/2 on the fronts
Old 11-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Tech Champion

This is a great move by Chicky and the rest of the NEGS promoters. I honestly thought the lilacs were going to be horrible for 10.5 at first and especially after practicing the week before the Classic; but with a handful of setup changes they didn't seem too bad at all.

Definitely looking forward to more 10.5 Foam!
punkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Part #s and link to purchase?

Also, is this the same lilac foam compound used for WGT wheels?
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Part #s and link to purchase?

Also, is this the same lilac foam compound used for WGT wheels?
It is the same compound used on the WGT wheels but the NEGS series uses a colored ring on the tire to easily ID them as NEGS legal tires. Jaco has a yellow ring and BSR has a red ring. I don't know where you could get a set with the ring other than the host track to a NEGS race but the part number for Jaco's regular lilac sedan tires is JAC 6138.

You should be able to get Jacos pretty much anywhere. I would suggest checking with your LHS first
Old 11-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks for the heads up...

I'd have to move to Orlando for a decent LHS.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Spec foams are a great idea my buddy ran the same set all weekend. What will this take to implement at the club level. Could BSR and Jaco make them avalible to everyone so local tracks could pick up on this.
inman20k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inman20k View Post
Spec foams are a great idea my buddy ran the same set all weekend. What will this take to implement at the club level. Could BSR and Jaco make them avalible to everyone so local tracks could pick up on this.
The lilac compound has been around for at least 2 years.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by inman20k View Post
Just try talking with your race director and your fellow racers and you could probably make it happen at your track.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Default foams

I really like this move to lilac foams. Less chunking and pealing is always a bonus not to mention you get more runs for the cost!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I bought 3 sets for the Classic and used only 2. I actually found out they like to be run on the bigger side which is great for those trying to get more life out of their foam tires. They don't seem to chunk very easily and like Robbie said only a few setup changes got them working. IMHO, I think they work just as good as the Magentas we have been running for a while now they just don't feel as aggressive. The lap times have been very much the same though.

Where to get them. Well...I don't know about the Jaco's. I'm assuming any Jaco distributor would be able to get these. The BSR's which I prefer because of the smaller ring, I believe you just have to contact BSR and order some direct or have your LHS order them for you.

Spec Tires would definitely a great step in keeping foams alive and push them to thrive again. Foam Sedan is definitely my favorite class to run and I know it is for many as well. I don't want to debate the rubber/foam thing in here but I think it's almost a foregone conclussion that just about everyone that was at the classic spent more on their rubber tires than they did their foams.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote