Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does everybody dislike Corally?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 03:39 AM
Tech Master

Hi friends. greetings from Malta.

I have already given my views about Corally in an earlier contribution.

I have a model shop and have exclusivity for a number of big brands, including Corally. I find Corally extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with. They will go out of their way to help - see my previous post on page 1.

As for Corally results, it's all been said already. David won the worlds then got gobbled by Trinity. Andy won the Euros, as did Andy Moore, Marcus Mobers and so many others. Most of them got gobbled by bigger firms.

Whilst the Ahoniemis are both brilliant drivers, let's be fair, they don't have the sort of backing that Associated, Trinity or Yokomo can offer. Yet they still work wonders. Remember Sakke won one of the 3 finals in the last Worlds 1/12th. Put someone like Barry Baker, Josh Cyrul, Masami or Spashett in a Corally and they will win.

As for circuits, yes your circuits in the states are piddly compared to some circuits in Europe, but I can assure you that they have plenty of piddly circuits in Europe too. Let's just say there's a good mix.

Re spares situation, as a model shop owner I can probably explain. No shop owner in his right mind is going to stock masses of parts if there aren't many cars in his area. Also the tendency among most shop owners I have spoken to is to concentrate on one or 2 brands, so it's obvious that they will choose to stock AE and Losi parts mainly in the states. who can blame them.

However I think that for it's size and manpower Corally works wonders. And they make some great equipment, and most important of all, they are super human persons to deal with. Real nice guys.

I just can't fault them.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Johnbull,

Another good post from you, and I couldn't agree more. The Corally cars are also very different and unique while still being competitive. I am usually very forgiving when a company is designing a new car, but its nice to see original ideas from time to time.

How many 1/12th cars have had subtle changes to the rear of the car and then used one of the two associated front ends. I am not trying to flame any company but instead pointing out how Corally tries to come up with something different. Josh Cyrul did the same thing on his front end, and I'm willing to bet the next car he designs he will probably do something different to the rear.

Steve Curry
Old 02-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by MartinSorlie
@speedxl: I'm a european, I am at all the big races, and I also have good contact with corally... So..... SHUT UP....

And actually, the condom damper you're refering to is actually one of the things that most people over here like about the car... it makes it very calm and easy to drive...

Most European tracks aren't as big as you think, the few you see in a magazine looks bigger than they really are, and they are also not the ones we race the most on...

And also, and some of the smallest tracks, Simo Ahoniemi is usually insanely fast.... Corally don't have a big market, but everytime a fast racer shows his face, he makes the car go fast... Put Baker, Hirosaka, Cyrul or anyone else behind the wheel, and the Assasin can be the car that wins on sunday....

I'm not saying it's the best, simplest and fastest car, but if you're a bit more than an average racer you can make the car go fast without emptying your pocket... And that's the people Corally want's to sell their cars to... They're not a company that makes beginner products...
Well, I have great respect for Corally as a company, and also for Simo and Sakke as drivers, but I have watched several EXTREMELY GOOD racers struggle with the Assasin, the car appears to be more suited for asphalt tracks, or long carpet tracks with rubber tires. On foams, on a short track, I have yet to see one work very well. When I look to determine how well a car performs, I look to real racers, not Factory Pros. The fact that Simo and Sakke are fast with the Assasin proves nothing to me. Want a sterling example of my point? Hara won races with the HPI Pro 3, which was arguably the worst "pro-level" car ever produced. They could run TLO1's and make them competitive. I wanna see what happens when the faster privateers pick up the car and try it.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by CypressMidWest
Well, I have great respect for Corally as a company, and also for Simo and Sakke as drivers, but I have watched several EXTREMELY GOOD racers struggle with the Assasin, the car appears to be more suited for asphalt tracks, or long carpet tracks with rubber tires. On foams, on a short track, I have yet to see one work very well. When I look to determine how well a car performs, I look to real racers, not Factory Pros. The fact that Simo and Sakke are fast with the Assasin proves nothing to me. Want a sterling example of my point? Hara won races with the HPI Pro 3, which was arguably the worst "pro-level" car ever produced. They could run TLO1's and make them competitive. I wanna see what happens when the faster privateers pick up the car and try it.
come out to Sacramento Ca and you would have seen fast privateers take some steps backwards with the car. They have all gone back to their original cars. There's no winners or losers in this thread. Alot of personal experiences have been voiced....and some started to get heated....but hey I think that we all kept a level head about it and no matter what else is said on this thread the corally sedan will never be popular out this way anytime soon.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

On the C4 a buddy (fatdoggy) of mine owns one and races it regularly. I don't ever remember him being slow and is always mixing it up with the best drivers...... Where he shines is the set-up, he has had patience with the car and worked very hard with it and it works for him...... Yes he has "new car fever" over the new assassin, but I seriously doubt he will ditch the C4 until it stops working..... Infact I have been triing to get the car from him for almost 3 months now!!!! Not for me to race, but as a shelf queen, you see when I started the C4 was one of the cars I wanted, but couldn't afford, also to me the orgional C4 is an exotic in the USA so I would never want to damage it with my "stellar" driving....LOL It is a beautiful car to me!!!!

So why did Corally abandone it?? Look at the suspension it was produced by Serpent, by the time corally decided to change the producers of the suspension the X-ray had been out and already done so.... They decided to try something different why not if it didn't work they can always go back with their next design....

I am sure that most US racers will agree that as Americans we are very fickle racers, Alot of will form an opinion on a car when we race it the first time, if it doesn't live up to expectatiions (usually huge ones....) we aren't happy, and this undue bias can hinder any further campains with the car... Also alot of American racers have a huge problem with "new car sindrome" whenever a new car is released we have to have it, especially if someone fast at our track gets one......

Time and time agian we say "we aren't going back there" and what happens we walk right back thru those doors....

Examples..... Tamiya TA03 series alot of guys swore off Tamiya "forever" and either with the 04, 414, or TB's most have gone back for atleast a little while. HPI- pro3's.... AGIAN "I will never buy another HPI car agian".... less than a year later "well if the pro4 is fast I will try it".....
Old 02-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

see some guys understand the point i made and thanks!
look we all know like impactplayer said also that we the american consumer have a different approach then others around the world. and buy the way fattdoggy i did test drive three different c4's one from a team guy and two from none team guys the car the team guy had worked the best and of course had stuff done to it that wasnt stock from the box the car worked well with a stock motor or a 19t but bolt in a modified and it was a handfull.
the no matter what we did to it it gave back odd feed back.

they do have and awsome diff and i can say that they do have some of the smoothest shocks i ever felt so not everything sucked wind.

but anyways the point is i am the type like our friend from malta associated has been good to me mr lett at the big races i have attended has help me and a few of the team drivers have offered assistance aswell. so because of that i have been running a tc3 car for the last 4 years and i have developed it to the point where i actually dont want to try anything else.
another example of loyaty which we as americans suffer from i have had a couple situation where jurgesun the guy from lrp took care of me with speedo problems at races and not at races. i will run lrp stuff for life. as far as novak i have gone out on the limb and bought a charger but because they dont make or fix it anymore they offerd me an upgrade for 100 bucks after i bought the other charger new for 170 and the they expected me to pay another 100 for a charger worth 170 do the math 100+170 thats $270.00's for a 170.00 charger are they nuts. now guess what i wont buy any more of their stuff.
but i tried and gave them a chance.
in europe or whereever other here in the states people are more brand loyalist then us here. but when a few like me find something that works for us then we get in a rut and stick with it , mind you after trying everything else.
so the point is that everyone wants to buy that one car that puts them in contetion to win as long as they see others doing well with the car. so thats why other people dont jump on the corally wagon because there arent that many other people being succesful with it!
Old 02-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

IMPACTPLAYR - Thanks mate. Your comments are much appreciated.

"fattdoggy i did test drive three different c4's one from a team guy and two from none team guys the car the team guy had worked the best and of course had stuff done to it that wasnt stock from the box the car worked well with a stock motor or a 19t but bolt in a modified and it was a handfull"

O ok so you did drive one that was setup ok. As for the modified I've never tried one, or a 19t for that matter. It will be a while before I do anyway so it's not a big problem for me.

On loyalty, it's fine that some people feel that way. If you've had a good experience with a company then I can understand going back. AE has had years and years to work the bugs out of the TC3 and instead of creating a new car they stuck with it. But you still need to clean up the diff housing and do other things to make it faster then the next guy. Just like most other cars on the market.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

yea fatdoggy put a mod motor in it and then hold on! it is a contender in stock class no doubt!
but your right all the cars out there need some type of massaging when assembling which is normal. but it does help that they keep the same chassis rolling with 3 or 4 mods during production which you can deal with because 90% of the car still retains the same parts which reduces the cost, and easier to stay ontop off because you dont have to buy for the new hot mod part and then search for!
rob micheals and mike bruces assasin are working really well down here but they have also spent a lot of time with the cars! which others because of mentallity here in this country want to have the car dialed from the first second they turn on that switch. which did happen for me with the tc3 but hey not everyone is that lucky.
i had a schumacher 99 , axis, axis 2 those cars work well but they took months to get descent .i even had a yokomo mr4tc i did get help from the local factory driver at the time. and at that time i was searching for another
car so thats when i tested the corally cars and didnt feel comfertable with them. so i tried a tc3 and that was that.
who knows with the new associated car i might get disappointed and try other cars again!
Old 02-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

It took me about 2 months to dial it on carpet to the point where I could put it on the track and know I could be fast. On asphult the car could be fast, but it had it's on days and it's ok days, I never found a setup that would be perfect from week to week like I've been able to with carpet. With time I'm sure I get one though. Too patient? maybe
Old 02-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

all thing aside its glad to see that we can agree on most things knowing where i come from.

its takes a lot of patience when one doesnt have help and your the only one in your area running the car ! disapline and persierverance pays my friend sooner or later you will dial it in or buy a new car!
Old 02-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default parts aren't cheap

Some people may not like the fact that replacement parts are not only hard to find but also hard on the wallet. I was talking to a fellow racer a few weeks ago and was very surprised to find that the parts for the Assassin are very expensive, like $15 for one control arm. From what I hear they break all the time and pretty much any other manufacturer will sell a pair of arms for half that much. Even X-Ray the "Luxury touring car" arms aren't that much, by the time you replace the four arms on the Corally you can get the entire C-hub tuning kit for the T1 Evo or T1R and still have money left over
Old 02-25-2004, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

As far as race winning potential Corally has always had an advantage when it came to the SP series cars. I know that goes back a ways but I remember reading where the RC10L and 12L were getting trounced by Corally cars. Some of the AE cars were even using Corally parts. So I have no doubts on those cars. I've not done much research on the Assassin, so I could not comment there.
Pro drivers. True many drivers do change to bigger companies. And that is mostly a money issue. Big company= more money for their drivers. All I was saying on parts is that I think Corally loses sometimes because people often do make decision not only on race wins (otherwise what's the promotional use of having sponsored drivers?) but also on the ease of local parts availability.
I have a Yokomo 4WD off road buggy. It's old now. But I bought it solely because I knew it was winning races and because AE started importing parts for it. Figuring that it would be easier to get parts with the AE connection at my LHS, finalized my decision. I was ok until AE backed out on the deal and I was left high and dry. Nothing is more aggrivating than watching someone race the rest of the day, while you wait a week or more for a backordered a part that may, or may not come in..
Yes you can order parts from the company and that is a great backup. I'm sure the Corally guys are standup people indeed. I just think that ordering direct is supposed to be for last resort purposes, and shouldn't have to be your only line to get stuff. I prefer to just go to the LHS and get them, and not have to order them there either, knowing that I'm going to be down that much longer while I wait.
My problem is not with the people or the service. It's that I have to use it just to get something simple. That I think turns away more people than any. I think that is why I'm going for the Losi car this time for my first TC. My .02
Old 02-26-2004, 02:05 AM
Tom
Tech Regular

Well after racing the Assassin since its release, Augest or so, i have won both stock and club champion at my local track and finished 5th in the Sydney Masters. This year i have been out qualified once and won most of the finals. The time i was out qualified was my own lazzy stupidness that couldn't be stuffed changing the setup on the car.

So the car is compedative out of the book. I have bought nothing for it. I have broken one front body post and a steering block (when i was hacked ).

Setup is easy, its not bad out of the box with just little change here and there.

The only negative is the stock ballcaps have to much slop.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:06 AM
Tech Regular

I know the biggest problem for all americans though... at least on carpet... All european cars are made for racing rubber tires mainly... with a one-way and a soft setup.. The car acts quite realistic, and it's a very smooth driving style...

Foam tires on a Corally? Well, let's just say that's mainly tested on a 12th scale...
Old 02-26-2004, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by MartinSorlie
I know the biggest problem for all americans though... at least on carpet... All european cars are made for racing rubber tires mainly... with a one-way and a soft setup.. The car acts quite realistic, and it's a very smooth driving style...

Foam tires on a Corally? Well, let's just say that's mainly tested on a 12th scale...
You smacked the nail directly on the head with that statement. I race foam tire ONLY. Indoors on Carpet and our local club runs foams outdoors as well, I think the car could be quite competitive on asphalt or carpet with rubber tires, but foams TOTALLY change the picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.