R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
Tech Elite
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,273
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Would anyone buy a revised XXX-S?

I'm so tired of the over priced TC market right now. What ever happened to the days of a $250 kit? No kid is ever going to be able to afford a kit these days. Will the future of RC racing die?

I was a huge fan of the XXX-S. Why Losi stopped making it I have no idea. Would anyone buy a revised XXX-S or a plate car of it's type? A well thought out design with single belt design sure would fit well with lipos now. Just a thought.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
cheehtae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,470
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

That's why I bought a TA05 IFS-R. It's even lower than your $250. marker
__________________
every impulse that we strive to strangle broods in the mind, and poison us...action is a mode of purification... the only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.
cheehtae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Tech Addict
 
jasons56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 685
Default

I've got a xxx-s that does quite well in VTA racing. If they came up with a design with some sort of idler or whatnot that allowed the lipo to sit centered inside the belt that would be great.

Some very minor changes to the front suspension geometry to suite it to the low powered spec classes that dominate today and the loss of a little weight would be nice too.

Sell it with USVTA bodies and tires and a BND and it would fit right in to the current losi marketing plans. Of course that would never happen, so make it cheap sans tires and body.

If they can sell a BND strike for what they do, you would sure think this is possible.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZenRacing
jasons56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 190
Default

I'm using one for VTA also, had the car almost 10years. Very efficient drivetrain, works great for the VTA. One of the fastest couple of cars on the track for the last two seasons.

You can still get these at Stormer Hobbies in the RTR version for $199.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=LOSA0282
VRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

I think they would! Just look at the success of the Tamiya cars. As long as it performs well there will be a market.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 476
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

What about the Cyclone S? It seems to me that Tamiya and Hot Bodies are the vanguard of the budget class TC racer. Personally I think ROAR could do the entire TC racing community some good buy having a Novice class that is tub chassis only with a 21.5 to 17.5 motor spec. I say tub chassis only that makes it easy to tech. It would also give new life to some of the older chassis on the market like the TC4 and the XXX-S.

Back on topic, I had a XXX-S G+ and I loved it. If Losi updated it and made it Lipo friendly, I'd consider it.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
vr6cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 4,052
Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)
Default

There's still a big following for the xxx-s and there's a few threads on here about it. I still own a MF xxx-s and race it now and then when I do race on-road. I also have owned a Losi JRxs Type-R and loved it too. Be cool if they made a modern version of the xxx-s.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
Castradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Indianna
Posts: 863
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

I loved the XXX-S. I would have love to see them make a graphite version similar to the prototype. Also with a refined front shock tower and the shocks from the JRX-S
__________________
Destiny | Xenon USA | Speedzone | High Velocity RC | TQ Wire | dIgItS pAiNt

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. - Muhammad Ali
Castradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,273
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Yes, I love JRX-S shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castradamus View Post
I loved the XXX-S. I would have love to see them make a graphite version similar to the prototype. Also with a refined front shock tower and the shocks from the JRX-S
I know people complained about the free spin of the XXX-S drive train but it was the lightest drive train of any of them. I love how simple it is regardless if it's not the most efficient.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
Tech Addict
 
beyondthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orillia, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 741
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to beyondthepack
Default

I also run a XXXG+ with My VTA, runs great. A friend of mine ran the car for years in the TC class before moving onto 1/12. help me set it up, no worries.
__________________
AE B5R - SC10.2 - Outdoors
AE TC7.1 USGT - INFINITY IF14 - Indoors
LRP - REEDY - FUTABA - IDEAL HOBBIES - RC404
beyondthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
I'm so tired of the over priced TC market right now. What ever happened to the days of a $250 kit? No kid is ever going to be able to afford a kit these days. Will the future of RC racing die?

I was a huge fan of the XXX-S. Why Losi stopped making it I have no idea. Would anyone buy a revised XXX-S or a plate car of it's type? A well thought out design with single belt design sure would fit well with lipos now. Just a thought.
Ppl buy $400-500 kits simply because they can afford to...will they be faster? Hell no....

Above already mentioned...TA05R, TA05 IFS-R, Cyclone S with options...they are like $250 range. These cars are JUST AS FAST or even better then those $400-500 kits (I have seen that every sunday...1 or 2 of those on the A-main).

Also, nothing is wrong with XXX-S...I used to have 1 for $60 with tons of parts and options, put the foams on, dial some setup (from like 50 of them to choose from)...car is just as fast as the $400 kits.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY/FL
Posts: 3,376
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Also, nothing is wrong with XXX-S...I used to have 1 for $60 with tons of parts and options, put the foams on, dial some setup (from like 50 of them to choose from)...car is just as fast as the $400 kits.
Ain't it the truth !!! I myself use the xxxs and find it to be more than competitive ( assuming I was a MUCH better driver). Parts are easy enough to get and like Solara said...the available setup and tech support is fantastic. That being said...I find myself buying other cars on the used market for other reasons like ease of maintenance. 10 year old technology does have some drawbacks but the xxxs is still a great package. Every car I consider running is compared to it. Hell, if I could get parts , if it were easy to work on, If it were compatible with current tech (Lipo for instance) and if I thought it could be as competitive...I'd be running my TA03R !!!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
Tech Elite
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,273
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default My point was a revised design.

As much as I love the XXX-S there are some design features that make it a pain in the butt compared to say the ease of working on a newer Xray. I would rather have a revised XXX-S with a fiber glass chassis plates. Easier diff access like a two piece bulkheads design. Losi was one of the first to have external diff adjustments and I could never back.

There are many things that could be revised along with a longer upper deck which seems to be the norm now in design. Losi could really do something with the single belt design and I know it would sell. Cheaper parts and availability. The JRX-S was fragile and complicated. Not necessarily a good starter chassis. I guess Losi hasn't sold many of them. It's time for them to move on to something else.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Big Midget's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 4,334
Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFist View Post

Back on topic, I had a XXX-S G+ and I loved it. If Losi updated it and made it Lipo friendly, I'd consider it.
Not sure what you guys mean when you say its not lipo friendly. The battery tray on that car is huge! I was running a maxamp 8000mah pack in mine, really thick 2s lipo.

I installed my own thumb screws and cut the access off the bolts. you could run a 4s pack in that car with no problem. There's no upper deck to deal with.

The xxx-s was a very smooth car to drive as well, I'd buy another one
__________________
UltralineHobbies.com
Ultraline Raceway Topeka Ks
Dee & Mee Hobbies RickyRacer Lidz,Absolute Tattoo,Fuzzy Dice Decals
Big Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
vr6cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 4,052
Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
As much as I love the XXX-S there are some design features that make it a pain in the butt compared to say the ease of working on a newer Xray. I would rather have a revised XXX-S with a fiber glass chassis plates. Easier diff access like a two piece bulkheads design. Losi was one of the first to have external diff adjustments and I could never back.

There are many things that could be revised along with a longer upper deck which seems to be the norm now in design. Losi could really do something with the single belt design and I know it would sell. Cheaper parts and availability. The JRX-S was fragile and complicated. Not necessarily a good starter chassis. I guess Losi hasn't sold many of them. It's time for them to move on to something else.
I dont think Losi cares anymore seeing how it's basically "Horizon" and pops is what? Working for Kyosho now? Losi/Horizon is to worried about crawlers and rtr off-raod kits now.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:43 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net