R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
I'm thinking something closer to T3 with XXX-S prototype hinge pin blocks and Pro 4 arms. Those blocks would make it easier to shim.

John Stranahan made some great points about the XXX-S that I just read. I guess the question is can it be a good stock car? I think brushless has changed that some, but will people think they need the shaft drive free wheel. lol I wish we could see a revised tub car as well as a plate car, but that will never happen. I want something with sealed drive train and I don't understand why Losi took the XXX-S off the market. It's a great all around car that's not costing them anything. I wish they would continue the graphite parts. Losi doesn't have to mill the chassis.
Losi did not take anything off the market, it was Horizon that ended the XXXS's life. They are pretty much a toy company now and not that concerned with racing onroad really anymore.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #47
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
Losi did not take anything off the market, it was Horizon that ended the XXXS's life. They are pretty much a toy company now and not that concerned with racing onroad really anymore.

I kinda disagree, XXX-S was reaching it's liife spent and also had problem on the carpet racing, the team wanted a car that can do good on both surface also they wanted to have a ground up on-road car not an offroad 4wd buggy with shorter arms.

IMO Losi created a JRXS Pro(front moto) and realised later the car don't have enough grip, the horizon allowed the team to spent another huge amount of mony to create a Type-R which came out on end of touring era.

I can imagine JRXS pro/type-R was huge lost in finance department at the horizon so they went to where all the people/money is, 1/8th offroad.

if you been watching the team closley you know they sold alot of eight kit and won so many races around, therefore of cos they have new parts for the car almost every month!

if the touring ever make come back in this hobby I know horizon will allow team to spend there effort for the touring cars again.

bottom line we need more surpport for this class!

thats my 2cents.
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #48
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to KDagh1 Send a message via MSN to KDagh1

I had a XXXS (still do) and it ran perfectly. The handling was smooth, steering was great, and it was basically a dream to drive on carpet. I never raced it on asphalt. Nothing wrong with the chassis at all.
KDagh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

When i ran for losi- I often WISHED i could still run the XXXS. I thought many times about making my own XXXS like car, out of Type-R parts. Its all there. It can be done.

Dump the wide diffs, do a little math/drawing and anyone could make there own revised XXXS.

I would make it two belts. One belt was not a good setup.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Default Why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti View Post
When i ran for losi- I often WISHED i could still run the XXXS. I thought many times about making my own XXXS like car, out of Type-R parts. Its all there. It can be done.

Dump the wide diffs, do a little math/drawing and anyone could make there own revised XXXS.

I would make it two belts. One belt was not a good setup.
Just wondered why not one belt? I always thought the XXX-S was so smooth under power for mod and even more so for large tracks. I would think a revised XXX-S plate car would make a great worlds race car. Large open flowing track. At this point I just wish Losi would keep making the G+. I mean what does it cost them? There's not good belted car with an enclosed drivetrain when the Drift is gone. lol
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #51
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_John_wee View Post
I kinda disagree, XXX-S was reaching it's liife spent and also had problem on the carpet racing, the team wanted a car that can do good on both surface also they wanted to have a ground up on-road car not an offroad 4wd buggy with shorter arms.
The XXXS was designed specifically as a sedan. The offroad car was based on the sedan later.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
Just wondered why not one belt? I always thought the XXX-S was so smooth under power for mod and even more so for large tracks. I would think a revised XXX-S plate car would make a great worlds race car. Large open flowing track. At this point I just wish Losi would keep making the G+. I mean what does it cost them? There's not good belted car with an enclosed drivetrain when the Drift is gone. lol

I just thought it was over thinking things. It got better when they made the larger idler= but i would still take a two belt setup over one.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #53
Tech Addict

There are almost always some XXX-S and XXX-S G+ for sale on Ebay.

Here are two Auctions which completed
this weekend
I am not sure if anyone mentioned this; but one of the "problems" people mentioned with this car was its weight relative to the carbon fiber chassis,
with lipos lower weight and people having to add weights to carbon fiber cars to meet min weight spec, this disadvantage disappears.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNA:US:1123

LOSI XXX-S GRAPHITE ROLLER XXXS SEDAN TOURING DRIFT
Item condition: Used
Ended: Nov 08, 200919:41:04 PST
Bid history: 11 bids
Winning bid: US $56.00

RTR with radio and all electronics
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNA:US:1123
LOSI XXX-S GRAPHITE PLUS TOURING CAR XXXS SEDAN
Item condition: Used
Ended: Nov 08, 200919:28:50 PST
Bid history: 15 bids
Winning bid: US $86.00
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #54
Company Representative

or should I say a touring that don't share any part with a offroad vehichle, you know what I mean. JRXS pro/type-R is the first 100% sedan created by the team, IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The XXXS was designed specifically as a sedan. The offroad car was based on the sedan later.

IMO biggest problem I have on XXX-S is those drop screws on the bumper, once you go spring little harder you get endless chnage on the droops,

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah View Post
There are almost always some XXX-S and XXX-S G+ for sale on Ebay.

Here are two Auctions which completed
this weekend
I am not sure if anyone mentioned this; but one of the "problems" people mentioned with this car was its weight relative to the carbon fiber chassis,
with lipos lower weight and people having to add weights to carbon fiber cars to meet min weight spec, this disadvantage disappears.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #55
Tech Elite

My understanding was the XXXS and XXX4 chassis were different. One was longer then the other, but I don't remember which one. We had a guy who ran XXXS sedans and tried to convert one to offroad use, but it did not work out as well. It was ok, but not as good as the XXX4 chassis.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #56
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
My understanding was the XXXS and XXX4 chassis were different. One was longer then the other, but I don't remember which one. We had a guy who ran XXXS sedans and tried to convert one to offroad use, but it did not work out as well. It was ok, but not as good as the XXX4 chassis.
xxx4 is longer
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_John_wee View Post
IMO biggest problem I have on XXX-S is those drop screws on the bumper, once you go spring little harder you get endless chnage on the droops,
True, but you can adjust droop without droop screws by limiting the travel of the shock shaft.
Big Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #58
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Midget View Post
True, but you can adjust droop without droop screws by limiting the travel of the shock shaft.
thats what I been doing when I race this car but its not only PITA to adjust it also decreaed the oil volume of shocks, especialy front shocks start with such a low volume, after few spacers inside you only can have few drops in a shock, that's with Low roll center, I only ran the car on Low roll center for front, because If I have a high roll center I will need to put more spacers and that will really messed up the car.

hate that droopscrews but still LOVE this XXX-S after all.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Thought I'd post this link: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...n-mod-etc.html

Tuns of great info in here, Do you guys know who john stranahan is?
Big Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by academygaz View Post
That wasn't the only twin deck carbon chassis with a single belt, there was also the -

Kawada Sigma:

Robitronic ETC V2:

Corally Assassin with direct drive option:

The best design i think is Kyosho KX-one! Battery in the center. twin vertical plate main for super stiff chassis.
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote