TC 4 or RDX

Old 11-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TC 4 or RDX

I recently found both cars for sale used witch one is better? The lhs swears by Corally, but I'm new to the TC class. If my 10 yr old drives it which one is easier to repair and maintain?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Go with the RDX. If your LHS is supporting the car you should be good. Both cars have there issues with maintenance but the Corally is a better car and very smooth. My 14 yr old has been driving one for years.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If you plan on breaking parts, the TC4 will be cheaper to fix. The RDX is a well built car and probably slightly more durable, but things still break. My friend broke an arm on his RDX and said a bag of four are 50 bucks. 50 bucks can buy you almost a whole other used TC4 roller. Things to consider...
Old 11-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sportpak
If you plan on breaking parts, the TC4 will be cheaper to fix. The RDX is a well built car and probably slightly more durable, but things still break. My friend broke an arm on his RDX and said a bag of four are 50 bucks. 50 bucks can buy you almost a whole other used TC4 roller. Things to consider...
I don't know where your friend bought his arms, but they ripped him off. Stormer Hobbies (as well as every other shop I've dealt with) has a set of 4 for $18-$30 depending on the stiffness you buy. You can buy the aluminum arms for $75. I don't recommend them as they just transfer the problem somewhere else and would bend instead of breaking. I do recommend the aluminum steering knuckles with bushings instead of bearings.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default do yourself a favor

For a 10 year old, you probably need a durable car that is relatively easy to work on. Do yourself a favor and get your son a used xray t2 or t2'007. You can buy a good one for about $150. The xrays are durable, well made and easy to work on. The parts aren't cheap (cheaper than corally, more than tc4,) but it's not easy to break an xray car.

As for the cars you mentioned, the tc4 is a shaft drive drive that is not very smooth to drive (because of the shaft.) Also, if your son will be racing, the tc4 really isn't very competitive because it has a completely outdated design. The RDX is a good car, but it eats front arms, and parts are very expensive because you buy them in packs, versus individually. For a 10 year old, a couple of broken parts will break the bank. BTW, the arms are 4 for $29 + shipping. With xray, you can buy the arms individually ($6-$7), and they are very hard to break.

Unless you are can get the tc4 for $80, and that's your budget, get the xray. I've owned the cars you are looking at and I was very disappointed with the tc4. The corally was simply a money pit, and a pain to work on. I currently own an xray t2 (original) and a 008 and frankly for a 10 year old, there isn't that much of a difference between the 2. One more tip: if you buy the xray, get one with a bunch of spare parts. The 008, 009, and t3 don't share many parts with the t2 and t2 007, so you can get a great deal on a used one with a bunch of spares and hop ups.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

1) $6-$7 x 4 = $24-$28 + shipping. Corally arms are $20-$30 for 4. Hardly cheaper. I assume that the LHS stocks Corally parts since he said they are recommending it so no shipping cost.
2) Why buy an Xray with lots of spare parts if they are so durable?

Now to agree with you. If you are only considering the TC4 or RDX, I still say RDX. I've had them for years and the new arms are very durable. I've broken 1 arm in the last 3 years. The Xray arms are great but I seemed to have bad luck with the knuckles and c-hubs.
If you're considering other cars, a used Xray is also a great choice. They are durable and the T2 series is easy to work on. No real preference for me between the T2 and RDX. With either one of them, I recommend aluminum steering blocks. Just make sure that your son has a good time. I still love racing with mine. And as long as I buy his parts, I'll always be faster than him.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Default xray vs corally

I won't get into an argument about which is more durable, the answer is obvious. My point was that since the xray 008, 009, t3 use a lot of different parts from the t2 and 007, you can get a used one with parts for a good price. If anyone doubts the durability of xray t2 cars, just check any of the forums about the car.

The other thing I mentioned was that xray parts can be bought 1 at a time, where as corally parts are bought in packs. The end price is the same, if you need 4 arms.

Again, to each their own, but if you need a durable car that is easy to work on and is competitive, get the xray. If you want a car that is pain to work on and one for which parts are expensive (how about the roll blocks, how about the linkages, etc, etc, etc,) get the corally.

Their is a reason why xray is considered the best engineered car available.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

The Corally RDX is a good carpet chassis. It might do just as well on asphalt, but I've never seen it. The Corally is well made, but spare parts are vary expensive. A good all-around car if your wallet can afford it.

The TC4 needs a little more work to get going. But with the right setup, it runs as good as any other car out there. Part are super cheap and accessible. And it's surprisingly tough, so you may not have to brake open those spare parts right away.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have an Phi and it is not really hard to work on. minimal effort to get to the things you want!

so far the only thing I have broken on my car is probably 3-4 arms (my first racing season ) besides that the car has been awesome. I have been told that the car is fairly fragile and I've hit a few things thinking i'd DNF but she kept on rolling.

PS: the last two weekends my car has either been the fastest, or second fastest around the track (includes T2'009, cyclone, JRX-R and a few others)
Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Default rdx vs phi

If he was talking about the tc4 vs rdx, I don't think he was talking about the phi, which is a better car than the original rdx, and much easier to work on, plus from I've seen, more durable.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i figured they were similar as some parts are interchangeable... sorry:P

Parts can be a bit more expensive but there is less plastic on the car so less is likely to break (IMO). i think the only plastic i have on my car is the suspension arms, ball cups and body mounts!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by broqenjeep
I recently found both cars for sale used witch one is better? The lhs swears by Corally, but I'm new to the TC class. If my 10 yr old drives it which one is easier to repair and maintain?

I bought my 10 year old a tc4 ft w/ the carbon fiber chassis and upper deck from ebay. He broke a couple arms and c-hubs on it but other than that the car is mainly intact! It's a tough car, tougher than the Tc3, and it's tunable and reasonably fast. I don't have much experience w/ the Corrally but you can find Associated parts at just about every hobby shop in existence.

Oh i forgot to add, the downside . Changing spur gears is a major pita! You have to take quite a few screws out to get to the spur gear.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

I suggest the RDX...I found it easier to gear with brushless. the Arms will break...and they are more expensive than the TC4 parts. Mine has a modded TC3 bumper (plastic Kydex) and a P-Dub foam bumper on top....this stopped the breakage unless a major wreck. I also have my steering links short to pop apart if I clip a board...that help save parts too...
Both cars are good for a 10yr old to run...let him pick one and start enjoying wrenching....most kids that age could break an anvil with a rubber mallet
Old 11-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I won't get into an argument about which is more durable, the answer is obvious.
No arguments here Bill. I've had several RDXs and a Phi. I've also owned the FK'05, T2, BMI T2 and 2 '008s. I broke one arm on the Phi, a few of the old style arms on the RDX and a handful of knuckles and c-hubs on the xrays. You can't beat the Xray arms, I'll give you that. With aluminum knuckles, I didn't break anything on the Xray. With aluminum knuckles and the kidex front bumper, I didn't break anything on the PHi. All of them are good cars. The Phi and T2 series are easier to work on then the original RDX. The roll center blocks on the RDX are expensive ($8 a piece) but they come with the car and I never had any issues with them. I would bend the screws on the xray mounts. It was a cheap and easy fix. You can't go wrong with any of these cars for a 10 year old. He's not going to lose any races because of the car.

Sorry to come off as argumentative Bill. No hard feelings.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by broqenjeep
if your lhs carries RDX parts, support it...and if it carries both, go with what your pocket can handle....if he is racing...what class?...if not, go with the TC4...if parts are supported locally....my lil girl and nephew both run TC3's in VTA and hardly ever break anything.....but VTA is alot slower than other TC classes....

good luck with it