Search
Like Tree1Likes

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Am I wrong, or is this really low, and will cost this a lot of torque, and give you a lot of motor heat???? I had it in my 12th scale on 8500 - 19000,
Have it with a TC and a 13,5T SP on 8500 - 27000 (somewhere arount that).

Best Regards

Robert
As Joachim states later, your rpm ramps seem pretty high... I doubt your getting max timing at all on the straights, certainly with the 13.5!

The numbers you've given would roughly mean your end of the ramp is around 30mph... To put it another way, I ran a 10.5 this weekend, and was only just getting above that by the end of the straight!
The other interesting thing I discovered this weekend, was that minimum corner speed was in the 6mph range...
(This was all done by some on board datalogging equipment, not massively accurate, but good enough to give an idea of what's going on).

In my 12th, with a 10.5 at about 43mmpr, I've got it set at 6000rpm (9.5mph)- 10000rpm (16mph) and could happily hang with the ulimited modified (5.5's, 6.5's)boys this past weekend... In fact on the in-field I was quicker as I could put the power down better. I've purposely set the speedo to a slightly higher start ramp speed than the tc, as the corner speed tends to be higher anyway.

Originally Posted by bodymot
You might be right but we tried higher rpm about 5800 start 9500 end and found boost didn’t come in till ½ way down the straight and was not getting full timing coming in. Tried smaller pinion 7.8 FDR but found because the 13.5 spins up slower lost out on punch. I know it doesn’t seem right, bigger pinion more punch out of corners (13.5). We just change the start rpm till boost started to come in at the beginning of the straight and finish before the end. Both our cars were just as fast or faster on the straight and coming out of the corners than the GM, SPX, and I think SXX, Speedo’s.
Everyone is different,motors, driving, tracks, we always checked the temp of the motors at the end of a race, which everyone should do. I am new to finding a Speedo rpm start and finish, always ran SPX touring spec type of Speedo were you have to set the FDR of the car so the boost came in at the right time sometimes running 8.6 or more with a 10.5 motor. I’m still learning looking forward to talking to Ed Clark (Horizon) for setups. I might be wrong but think your rpm is too high and not getting the full benefit of the boost on this Speedo, I know BL motors can rev a lot more off load but on load and on the track might not be so much. OR I could be totally wrong. just make sure you check motor temp with every change of Speedo setup
All the best
Ben
Hey Ben, certainly seems like your getting to grips with it! I know what you mean about the FDR, I'm still thinking that in the tc I'm overgeared, as still running 6.35fdr with a 10.5 (coming from the other direction to you ) , and as a result the rpm ramps are off... more to play with next weekend

I would suggest that maybe the bottom ramp is a little too low, as you maybe already in the ramp zone coming off the turns, rather than letting the motor use its most torque down low. Upper ramp will govern when the maximum timing kicks in, so this is probably what you altered more to get it suited to the track, at a guess?

Originally Posted by Tread1
So you want it to kick on at 3-4 mph and be topped out by 10mph? That doesn't seem right,thats pretty much all on all the time
5K = about 5mph on 6.3fdr...
8K = 10ish
See my above comment about min corner speeds on a 10.5, if your geared higher with a 13.5, then the speeds vs rpm will also be higher (I.e, 5K = 7.5mph @ 5.0 FDR). I've got a summary table for the speed at a given rpm and FDR, think it should be on the back of the speed chart excel sheet I posted earlier.

HiH
Ed
Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
you might wanna go with 4.5 - 4.7 FDR on Novak ballistic Motor you will be suprise what this motor can do. Change your RPM setting to start at 4500-5000 RPM.... other than thaat your setup is pretty good you have your break at 100% that is fine since this ESC have a weak break....
Cheers I will try that on 13.5. Any ideas on 10.5 Ballistic, FDR and rpm range. At the moment its set at start 5800 end 9000=10000 I know its down to the track, and how long the striaght is. Getting use to the brakes now, changing my driving style and using more drag brake (up to 40%now). I think This speedo is just has fast or faster than the new LRP SXX.
just have to get rpm, FDR right.
Ben
Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TryHard

Hey Ben, certainly seems like your getting to grips with it! I know what you mean about the FDR, I'm still thinking that in the tc I'm overgeared, as still running 6.35fdr with a 10.5 (coming from the other direction to you ) , and as a result the rpm ramps are off... more to play with next weekend

I would suggest that maybe the bottom ramp is a little too low, as you maybe already in the ramp zone coming off the turns, rather than letting the motor use its most torque down low. Upper ramp will govern when the maximum timing kicks in, so this is probably what you altered more to get it suited to the track, at a guess?

HiH
Ed
Hi Ed, Racing 10.5 tonight at maritime will try upping start rpm and different FDR. This speedo just gets faster, a mate sold his GM speedo to get MMP, he's over the moon with it. Funny, A lot People asking about this speedo and some who have the new LRP SXX !
All the best
Ben
Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Hi Ed, Racing 10.5 tonight at maritime will try upping start rpm and different FDR. This speedo just gets faster, a mate sold his GM speedo to get MMP, he's over the moon with it. Funny, A lot People asking about this speedo and some who have the new LRP SXX !
All the best
Ben
Good to hear I'll admit its still early doors, and plenty to still learn in terms of getting it setup. I'm thinking for 10.5 I'll probably start at around 7 on the FDR, and go from there.
Have to say, I'm very keen to get it outdoors on bigger tracks, Halifax this year should be a giggle!

Regards
Ed
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

All the best
Ben
DAMN!

Ben, I wish I could've made it tonight to Maritime, as it sounds as if you have a fire-breathing monster underneath your bodyshell!
Good to see you have a very good setting for a 13.5 Ballistic, but why on earth aren't you using the Novak 13.5ss, it would be even quicker!

How hot is that 13.5 getting with 50 deg in cheat mode Ben?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by maxg123456
DAMN!

Ben, I wish I could've made it tonight to Maritime, as it sounds as if you have a fire-breathing monster underneath your bodyshell!
Good to see you have a very good setting for a 13.5 Ballistic, but why on earth aren't you using the Novak 13.5ss, it would be even quicker!

Trust me when I say there is another motor out there that is even quicker than the SS... Just need to treat it with kid gloves! Coupled with the Mamba speedo (with max 35deg of cheat!) it's a mega combo!

Ed
Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone. First post on here and sadly its a problem.

I can run my MMP fine on 6 and 7 cell NiMH packs. But when I try a 3s lipo it does nothing.

Have tried many settings with the castle link, but still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
Trust me when I say there is another motor out there that is even quicker than the SS... Just need to treat it with kid gloves! Coupled with the Mamba speedo (with max 35deg of cheat!) it's a mega combo!

Ed
To be honest, even if this Mamba Max Pro esc is slightly off of an SXX stock, i'm still getting one, as it has time and firmware updates to beat it in the near future. This is even before we get to the low price! - I'll be placing an order for one end of next week. (P.S sorry Ben, I might have to use your laptop and steal your settings!)
Old 03-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ed, can you post a complete esc setup for the MMP for 13.5 touring car. Track is 90'x36' full straight. I have access to a few different motor brands.....Speedpassion V2 and V3, LRP , Novak Ballistic and Trinity Nemesis. I have a Tamiya 416X and we use Jaco blue rubber tires. Any info would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks.......Dwayne Flodell
Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

A small video of a problem Im having with my MMP. i figured it would be easier than explaning in text. Thanks in advance for any ideas

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davin
A small video of a problem Im having with my MMP. i figured it would be easier than explaning in text. Thanks in advance for any ideas

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Mine was doing that exact same thing right before the sensor board in the motor went completly tits up.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

I guess I would rather have it be that than the speedo. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1. Check your sensor wire.

2. Make sure your batteries can handle that much amp Draw since you got the timing crank up to 50 degrees.

3. Change your lipo cut off to higher voltage cut off this usually solve this problem my friend race drag cars and he got a Mamba Max. He told me the car will start cogging or hesitate when there is a quick amp draw on start up this will cause the voltage on your batteries drop momentarily and will bounce back due to this the ESC will detect the voltage get below cut off voltage it will start cogging....
Old 03-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

This may be a silly question but is the cogging only when it is on the bench or does it do it when it is out on track under load, I only ask as the new GM speed controllers cog when on bench and it is something to do with it protecting the motor so it does not affect the magnet (blow up)
Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by maxg123456
DAMN!

Hi Max, 13.5 came in about 160f with 50 Timing, 10.5 was fast but had some hard knocks and broke the switch on Speedo, the only weak spot on this Speedo. Change it for a Nosram one this morning. Sav’s new SXX Speedo was clogging; don’t think he will buy another one. A few other people were having problems with them. SXX is fast but the throttle looks like a on and off switch. MMP is a lot smoother and if you get the rpm range right; I think will be just as fast. Darren ran 13.5 SP motor and made B finale, he can’t believe how fast this Speedo is. Novak motor ss do seem faster, but SP motor looks even faster?.
TRYHARD whats the motor you Recommend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.