Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I realize the MMP was faster before Tekin figured it out but what I'm suggesting is a simple Firmware update 1.25 to add these features. This would put the MMP back on level playing field or make it faster again than Tekin.

I've been a big component of this ESC since it came out and maybe Castle is already working on something that will blow everyone else out of the water I just wanted to make suggestions if they have not.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I want to thank Castle for making MMP I bought this for backup ESC which works both 1:8 buggy 4S and 1:10 onroad/offroad. I've run it on Xray XB808 buggy with 4S - very nice with sensored motor! Now I ran it on 1:10 onroad stock 17.5T touring car and it was FAST. I was the fastest guy out there and only lost TQ by 0.09sec and came second in the end by 1s. Faster better driver won this time. It was so fun to see the timing advance kick in on the straight I was fast and still quite conservative with FDR and CHEAT settings.

This is really universal ESC that works really nice. Only complain is that at least with 2S LiPo the BEC doesn't have stable voltage supply. Even low-profile onroad servo brings the voltage down so AMB RC transponder blinks. I added 10V 3300uF cap to RX - it helped but still one lap wasn't recorded during a raceday! Haven't noticed the problem with 4S but maybe it is still there.

Will try it tomorrow with modified touring - 4.0T and 5.5T motors
Old 02-06-2010, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I just wish I could get mine... been on backorder with TH since Jan 3rd
Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I ran the MMP last night in 17.5 touring car and I am impressed at how smooth the power is. I ran an Orca 17.5 with a fdr of 5.01 on a 36'x80' carpet track on rubber tires and came off at 143 f. I was only one tenth off of my best lap time with a Tekin RS. I am going to try to gear up a tooth and play around with the rpm settings a little more, I am sure it will be even faster.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

any one runnin a novak hv 4.5 with there MMP. i ran this setup first time last night, New mmp and new hv 4.5 motor on 2s with very bad results. iam thinking i got a very bad MMP or the hv 4.5 is not compatable with the MMP for some reason. anyone else using this motor succesfully. please help
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ran my MMP for the first time today and all I can say is that it is STUPID fast. I was killing the Tekins with torque and top speed.

Ran in 17.5
cheat mode -
Timing 50*
RPM 3300-7700
final drive was 4.7
in a MI4
trinity duo2 motor
90'x50' outdoor track

I had almost a lap lead and with 1 minute to go. The positive wire on my deans came off(cold soldier joint). Got to the pit and accidentally touch the positive and negative wires together while it was still plugged into the battery and POOF!!!!!!!!

Smoked everywhere, 8 years of racing and I pulled a rookie!!!!! hahahaha.

I will order another if Castle cant fix it. Man this thing is a Rocket!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey
Ran my MMP for the first time today and all I can say is that it is STUPID fast. I was killing the Tekins with torque and top speed.

Ran in 17.5
cheat mode -
Timing 50*
RPM 3300-7700
final drive was 4.7
in a MI4
trinity duo2 motor
90'x50' outdoor track
Try this:

cheat mode -
Timing 40*

RPM 1,900-3,100
final drive was 4.7

Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
RPM 1,900-3,100
final drive was 4.7
why is it so common to run all the timing to come in lower than the car's lowest speed? generally, touring cars (rubber) don't get below 7-9mph, yet at the range most recently posted, it shows that all 40* of timing is in by 4.8mph (using 2.45" for the tire diameter).

that's, essentially, just running at a fixed timing setting. why not jam the motor up to the max, then, and actually try to match the timing ramp with the rpm on the track? especially since there's still 10* left in the program?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by seaball
why is it so common to run all the timing to come in lower than the car's lowest speed? generally, touring cars (rubber) don't get below 7-9mph, yet at the range most recently posted, it shows that all 40* of timing is in by 4.8mph (using 2.45" for the tire diameter).

that's, essentially, just running at a fixed timing setting. why not jam the motor up to the max, then, and actually try to match the timing ramp with the rpm on the track? especially since there's still 10* left in the program?
True -- usually higher timing at low RPM reduces torque. It's at higher RPMs where torque is increased with higher timing.
That's why we give you an RPM range to start the timing ramp -- if you get poor "punch" out of the corners, try increasing the RPM where the timing comes in. If you have plenty of punch out of the corners, you can try reducing the RPM for the timing increase to try to get more speed.

Patrick
Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you can not max the timing on the motor using mamba max pro you will overheat it I tried it I know... I know on the Other ESC is common to crank up the timing on both ESC and motor like the LRP but not with MM PRO...

Last edited by Jochim_18; 02-08-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
you can not max the timing on the motor with the mamba max pro you will overheat it I tried it I know... I know on the ther ESC is commng to crank up the timing on both ESC and motor like the LRP but not with MM PRO...
what i'm indicating is that the profiles listed, thus far, are not matching timing to rpm. they are throwing all the timing at the motor at rpm levels lower than what the motor sees at it's lowest point on the track (or real close). so, if at 5-7krpm the motor wants 40* of timing, what does it want at 10k? 20k? etc. with the last profile posted, you're running at a fixed level of 40* everywhere on the track.

my question still stands... why do you prefer to be at such extreme levels of timing so low in the powerband?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
you can not max the timing on the motor with the mamba max pro you will overheat it I tried it I know... I know on the ther ESC is commng to crank up the timing on both ESC and motor like the LRP but not with MM PRO...
What are you talking about?

You can already do much more with the MMP than any LRP controller out there. The only ESC that is on par with the MMP right now is the Tekin. Castle and Tekin are both WAY ahead of the curve vrs. LRP.

That said, with the MMP, you do need to do some experimentation to get a setup that works well with a given motor -- so that you don't overheat it.

LRP isn't doing anything that you can't match and beat with CHEAT timing. Tekin has a slight advantage right now on short tracks because their timing curve is different than the Mamba Pro, but we are working on that.

Also, when the new timing curves are available, you will be able to download the new software on the MMP. You won't have to buy a whole new ESC every time we make an improvement (unlike OTHER manufacturers...)

Patrick
Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

what i'm indicating is that the profiles listed, thus far, are not matching timing to rpm. they are throwing all the timing at the motor at rpm levels lower than what the motor sees at it's lowest point on the track (or real close). so, if at 5-7krpm the motor wants 40* of timing, what does it want at 10k? 20k? etc. with the last profile posted, you're running at a fixed level of 40* everywhere on the track.

my question still stands... why do you prefer to be at such extreme levels of timing so low in the powerband?
I'm with you on this. I used a Sentry Data Logger to look at what my motor was doing and was surprised to see that it was hanging out in a range that was well above what I had seen most people using for their RPM ranges with the Tekin.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

That's why we give the option to change the timing band -- the timing comes in on a curve at the start RPM, and is at full at the end RPM. The timing change is linear with RPM over the range.

Normally, you would want to run the timing change over a fairly large RPM range, to take advantage of better torque (with lower timing) on the bottom end, and the higher torque of high RPM at the top-end.

Patrick
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pdelcast
Normally, you would want to run the timing change over a fairly large RPM range, to take advantage of better torque (with lower timing) on the bottom end, and the higher torque of high RPM at the top-end.
patrick, i fully understand this. what i'm indicating is that most of the profiles the guys are going on about (here) do not function in this manner. i am seeking some insight as to why these guys are slamming the motor with 40-50* of cheat timing at rpm ranges under what the motor will see on the typical road course. that seems somewhat counter intuitive to the c.h.e.a.t. feature itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.