Search

Newbie Question... XRay T2R or T2'009

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie Question... XRay T2R or T2'009

Good afternoon!

I hope you are all well?

I have been reading this site for some time & cannot possibly thank everyone properly for the advice that is here... and look forward to speaking with you in due course

I have been playing around with a Tamiya TT01 for a little while and have made it into a drift car...lots of fun..but think it is time to get into proffessional racing. There is an outdoors racing track that cost £25K to build about ten minutes from where I live - very lucky!

My question is - Do you know if it is possible to upgrade the parts on a T2R - to the full T2'009 or the T3 spec, at a later date?
or whether it would be worth just getting the T2'009 from the outset?

Thanks for any time you can spare...

Kevin
Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

I don't know if it is possible to upgrade to T2 '009 (i think it is, but there isn't any official "upgrade-kit"), but you can't upgrade it to a T3. That's a totally new car, so you will end up changing all the parts.

I don't know the T2R that much, but what I've heard, is that the T2R is basically a T2 '008 with some changes. The T2 '009 is "just" an optimized T2 '008 (basically), so it should be possible.

But if I were you, I would just buy a used T2 '009 to begin with. There is going to be a lot of them on the market, now that the T3 has arrived.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tapeykev
Good afternoon!

I hope you are all well?

I have been reading this site for some time & cannot possibly thank everyone properly for the advice that is here... and look forward to speaking with you in due course

I have been playing around with a Tamiya TT01 for a little while and have made it into a drift car...lots of fun..but think it is time to get into proffessional racing. There is an outdoors racing track that cost £25K to build about ten minutes from where I live - very lucky!

My question is - Do you know if it is possible to upgrade the parts on a T2R - to the full T2'009 or the T3 spec, at a later date?
or whether it would be worth just getting the T2'009 from the outset?

Thanks for any time you can spare...

Kevin
Kevin,

if you can pick up an issue of Xtreme RC magazine... there's a review for the T2R Pro. its a great car...and probably a good car to transition to from your TT-01. The investment won't be as high and learning curve won't be as steep.

if you find that you like the T2R Pro... then you can purchase a used T2'009 later on and use the T2R Pro for spares. plus with the FRP lower deck on the T2R Pro, its ideal for learning (you wont have to worry about destroying it and the cost of a replacement) on since the car provides plenty of traction and is only a few parts away (sways bars and adjustable turnbuckles) from being very competitive.

in terms of upgrading.. see the comment above

- Chris
Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

There are plenty of 009's for sale now people are swapping over to the T3. So for less than the price of a new T2R you can have a 009.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

I have both a T2'008 and a T2R Pro. The pro has all the same parts as the T2'009 and IMO, the Pro is good for stock racing and low traction but anything faster and some extra grip and it can struggle a bit. The only minus on the T2R kit is no turnbuckles and all the hudy bits like drive shafts and alu diff are missing. I have one set of good driver shafts between the two cars atm because of the lower quiality ones from the T2R kit. The T2'008 is very similar to the 009 and as said previously would be a good pick up second hand now that the T3 is out. I am yet to buy a New chassis kit as i find buying 2nd hand rollers off here a much better investment till my driving gets consistent.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Nilks! Good suggestion about buying a pre owned one, I have been looking on ebay and there are some really good ones available, I just thought that they might have problems that will need fixing and end up costing more, you can never trust anything on ebay and the postage to get something from the states is going to cost loads. Also thought that I want tp build it myself, if I race something that someone else has put together it wont feel like it is my victory if that makes sense.

Thanks again Hebiki! I like that idea, the one about not being able to ruin a T2R as easily because we all know that is going to happen! when trying to push the limits I am going to roll it & if this is a cheaper way to learn... Plus I can always let my friends use the T2R when I get a T3 so it wont go to waste. If only the sways bars and adjustable turnbuckles would fit onto the T2R...

Thanks also Chris-s! def like the sound of having a pro car but I am going to break it and really want to build it myself and have it from new. .. but will def keep my eye out for a nice second hand one... in fact my LHS do not have the T2R in stock so if I can't find one in a minute I'm going to get them to order one.

cheers Benzaah, do you know which is the fastest motor the T2R can get away with? what are you running in it? I will check out the for sale bit now.... and going to make a decision today.

Many Thanks everyone!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I really good place to check for a used one on the forsale section on this website. You can probably get a better deal then ebay.