R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 906
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default 48P vs 64P

I am new to the onroad RC world and have been using my pinion and spur gears from off-road which are 48P. Is 64P better for onroad?

Also, I have a stock 72 spur (I think it is 48P). If I do go 64P what should I start at with spur and pinion? Will this vary from the 48P? I don't quite have a grasp on 48P vs. 64P. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.
storytyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Tech Champion
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,506
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
I am new to the onroad RC world and have been using my pinion and spur gears from off-road which are 48P. Is 64P better for onroad?

Also, I have a stock 72 spur (I think it is 48P). If I do go 64P what should I start at with spur and pinion? Will this vary from the 48P? I don't quite have a grasp on 48P vs. 64P. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.
64P has finer teeth, and therefore allows more ratio options than 48P, the downside is the window for gear mesh is a lot smaller with 64P, and the teeth are more susceptible to damage. I would just run whatever you have access to locally, that will be easiest for you to get spares and gear options. If you do switch over to 64P, you can multiply by 2, and divide by 1.5 to get the equivalent gear. So your 72 would be a 96.
__________________
Mike Gee

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 906
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
64P has finer teeth, and therefore allows more ratio options than 48P, the downside is the window for gear mesh is a lot smaller with 64P, and the teeth are more susceptible to damage. I would just run whatever you have access to locally, that will be easiest for you to get spares and gear options. If you do switch over to 64P, you can multiply by 2, and divide by 1.5 to get the equivalent gear. So your 72 would be a 96.
What pinion would be good to start with with a 72 48P spur? Or should I base it on my FDR? If so, where should the FDR be at? Running on carpet with a 13.5
storytyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Scottmisfits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

You have to base your gearing off of a few things but FDR is based on gearing of the diff pulleys (internal ratio), and your spur/pinion combo. Use a site like www.gearchart.com to figure out what you should be running based off of what car.

For a 13.5 motor, anywhere between a 5 and 5.5 FDR, depending on track and motor.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
PDX-Spike's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 42
Posts: 1,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
What pinion would be good to start with with a 72 48P spur? Or should I base it on my FDR? If so, where should the FDR be at? Running on carpet with a 13.5
Provide the specific car you're running and the type of track (big, small, flowing, technical) so people can give you a better idea of where to start.
__________________
Roger Christal - Team Timezone (Hooligans), Rose City Scale Racing, ROAR Member until 9/16/2012
Support the locals: Timezone Raceway, Timezone II, R/C Plus, Portland RC Raceway
McKune Design, Slapmaster Tools, Houston's Engine Service
PDX-Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 906
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-Spike View Post
Provide the specific car you're running and the type of track (big, small, flowing, technical) so people can give you a better idea of where to start.
car is a TC4 on a carpet mid size track. Long straightaway. technical
storytyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
JKL1031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 518
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

why cant i find a 48p spur with over 100 teeth?
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
JKL1031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 518
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

its going on an xray BTW.
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #9
Tech Addict
 
Luke Hobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: newark, nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 526
Send a message via MSN to Luke Hobson
Default

Because a 100t 48dp spur would be huge and have trouble fitting on most cars...

The max on a xray is about 90, and that doesn't leave many options with ratios....

Hth
__________________
Luke Hobson
Awesomatix - Xenon - Godzilla Paint - Moorespeed - ToniSport - MBmodels

http://luke-hobson.blogspot.com/
Luke Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
48 pitch vs. 64 pitch for 1/12??? Taylorm Electric On-Road 24 07-14-2008 01:49 AM
48 pitch vs 64 pitch bvoltz Rookie Zone 11 04-12-2006 06:26 PM
68 Pitch vs 48 pitch jamie814340 Electric On-Road 16 01-04-2006 09:14 AM
Xray T1 Evo 2 vs HPI Pro 4 vs Corrally Assasian murfy Australian Racing 78 02-05-2004 05:15 AM
48 Pitch vs 64 Pitch CRASH Electric On-Road 11 02-22-2002 12:13 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:53 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net