R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #11821
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

Precision hex screw drivers should give you enough leverage to losen them up. If there is a little play in them, cock the screw driver a little off center, and try to back them out. I personnaly don't know if WD-40 will affect the composite? But I have worked with some difficult screws.
jw92656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #11822
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sounds good. i have a hudy driver on the way, so that should do the trick. i thought i had the right size, but theres some play with the hex itself. why cant everyone make a hex with the same tolerances
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #11823
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

I agree. The Hudy one should do the trick. Most hobby tools are percision, and auto parts tools are not. Just angle it a little if there is a little slop, and you should be good.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:48 PM   #11824
Tech Regular

Default STUCK with converting my FK'04 to semi FK'05 spec's

I've been trying to convert my '04 to '05 spec's but I ran in some problems and i hope I can get some much needed help.

First off all let me tell shortly what I'm trying to do and why.

a. I want to use saddle packs (||||||), because I want to share the packs with my FK'05.
b. I want the batteries on the right side, for better balance.
c. I need lots of space for the ESC, because it's a bulky Schulze/Team Orion brushless one.

So what I did:
I. Rebuild the servo saver the other way around.
II. Turn the excentric plastic bearing holder from the servo saver 180 degrees.
III. Install the optional 6 cell battery strap on the right side.

So what are the problems:
1. The full plastic 'Lower Suspension Holder' isn't available for the left side. I just drilled holes in both and switched them. But maybe the axle can now exit through the 'new' holes. Semi solution.
2. The front belt touches the servo saver. No solution yet.
3. The battery pack does NOT fit between the bulkheads. If I push them with force, the chassis tweaks. No solution yet.
4. And IF I push the pack between the bulkheads, the front belt touches the front two cells. No solution yet.

I know already a sort of solution, but I'm maybe overlooking something and I don't like it:

- Put a FK'05 multi in front.
- Turn the rear diff 180 degrees
- Switch the front belt to the left and the rear belt to the left
- Use a dremel to free up space between the bulkheads. Not like that!!!
- Glue 'end caps' on the lower suspension holders to keep the axle in place.

But this is to expensive (for a 'second car') and not really a nice one.

So please other RC addicts:

HELP HELP HELP.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:26 PM   #11825
Tech Fanatic

Joep, it won't handle the way you think it might. It's important to have the motor on the opposite side of the batteries to better the weight distribution.

Solutions
A. keep it an 04 and just make your jump wire short enough so you can make it a side by side configuration |||||| on the 05.

B. convert your 04 to an 05. You'll have two 05 and you can easily gain/share setups with each car. 04 setup is different from 05. Buy the thicker chassis (or even better, the new BMI 05 which should come with stand-offs and upper/lower chassis=saves you over a $100) and make one an asphalt car with the original chassis and the other a foam rug muncher. You already have the mult-diff.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:51 AM   #11826
Tech Regular

Default my idea

Hey Joep my adivce would be to leave the FK 04 alone, i have drivent he 05 and i dont like it, i feel the 04 is far more balanced, my tip for ure batterys as i did with my old evo 2 foc, u can keep them 3x3 for ure 04, get the 6 cell graphite strap the optional one for the 05(its the same as the 04 one), then if you dont use corralys plugs get them, so when u holster ure battery into ure 05 u canplug the corralys in theyll just be in the middle of the pack and if u have to cross them make sure theres no loose strands of wire and make sure u always put them in the right way, a lil tip of making sure is to get sum red heat shring and put it on the positvie wire near the plug(helps coz i run pink wire) and thats all, wish i had sum pics to show u but that car is long gone, hope u can understand what i wrote and hope i helped somehow
DIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #11827
Tech Regular

Smile

Joep. I can't give you much help on redesigning the car, but I built my batteries to run as a saddle configuration (IIIIII), and a side by side configuration. Use battery bars bent into an L shape, and 12 g wire to connect the two sets of 3. I run my packs in a Tamiya EVO 4, X Ray FK 04, and a Losi BK2 and they work great in all three cars.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #11828
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pezz
Default FK05

Hello everyone, I just ordered my FK05. This is my first Xray, and I was hoping for some input on what items I should purchase to go with the kit. Most of the people at my local track that own this car say there is not a whole lot of extras to purchase, but I figured I should ask anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-B
Pezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:53 PM   #11829
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jw92656
Joep. I can't give you much help on redesigning the car, but I built my batteries to run as a saddle configuration (IIIIII), and a side by side configuration. Use battery bars bent into an L shape, and 12 g wire to connect the two sets of 3. I run my packs in a Tamiya EVO 4, X Ray FK 04, and a Losi BK2 and they work great in all three cars.
I wanted to get rid of the wire..
But it looks a little hopeless. Maybe back to the wire then, wich btw almost touches the front drive belt.

Also at the XRAY-forrm no solutions ... yet..

Thnx for the feedback.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #11830
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray
Default Re: FK05

Quote:
Originally posted by Pezz
Hello everyone, I just ordered my FK05. This is my first Xray, and I was hoping for some input on what items I should purchase to go with the kit. Most of the people at my local track that own this car say there is not a whole lot of extras to purchase, but I figured I should ask anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-B
Couple sets of C-hubs, Steering Arms, maybe 1 set of Arms (but they rarely brake), Layshaft bearings, bumper brace, rear up rights. Should be set.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:30 PM   #11831
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

joep - YES they are right the out of the box the 04 is better than the 05. BUT once set-up properly i guarantee that it will beat the 04 anyday of the week.

the stock set-up of the 05 sucks. great thing that there are many tested set-ups available. it truly is better than the 04 hands down.

FYI - my laptimes was quicker on my of as compared to my 04
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #11832
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

has anyone been able to take the slop out of the steering on the 04? Im finding it hard to get equal toe in angles with the existing slop in the servo saver / turnbuckles
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #11833
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3

slop? what slop? are your holes widened or sumthing? i have no slop?
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:08 PM   #11834
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by greencactus3
slop? what slop? are your holes widened or sumthing? i have no slop?
steering Sloppy no way....
Old 05-19-2005, 11:09 PM   #11835
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by NVisible
has anyone been able to take the slop out of the steering on the 04? Im finding it hard to get equal toe in angles with the existing slop in the servo saver / turnbuckles
must be worn out steering parts ( ball cup)