R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-14-2005, 01:04 PM   #11746
Tech Elite

Quote:
I have this exact problem. So much so that the axle has mushroomed out over the bearing, making it impossible to remove the axle assembly from the steering knuckle. Is the only way to get this out to cut the knuckle in half? perhaps try to cut away the axle from the bearing? I can race this weekend with it, i just had to turn my radio end points down. Its just frustrating to get a car and find this wrong with it
I saw my car do this too. I noticed that there are two different axels, one with a large chamfer and another with a very small chanmfer. I put in the axels with the large chamfer, and it helped alot, but still when I turn full, it hits the dog-bone. I heard there is a new part to fix this.....a different axel. I am going to try making a larger chamfer, and turning some material off the face of the axel, but leave just enought to get the snap ring on there.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:52 PM   #11747
Tech Regular

Just so theres no confusion you guys are not going to file anything off the driveshafts. When you say axle it makes me think of the driveshafts. The part that always gets mushroomed out and stuck inside the bearing is the hub. I recently replaced my front hubs and used me dremel to chamfer the inside edge so the driveshafts wouldn't rub anymore. It works perfectly...there is no doubt that this should be done for us during the manufacturing process it is one of those "must dos" for new Xray owners.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #11748
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Or you could just buy the spring steel axles and never have them flare out It was the first thing I got when I got an xray ages ago, never looked back.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:39 PM   #11749
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwiglee
Just so theres no confusion you guys are not going to file anything off the driveshafts. When you say axle it makes me think of the driveshafts. The part that always gets mushroomed out and stuck inside the bearing is the hub. I recently replaced my front hubs and used me dremel to chamfer the inside edge so the driveshafts wouldn't rub anymore. It works perfectly...there is no doubt that this should be done for us during the manufacturing process it is one of those "must dos" for new Xray owners.
Yes, i flared mine out as well, but i will be buying the spring steel axles very soon as having to dremel a part seems neglegent on xrays side of things. at least this day and age it does
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:12 PM   #11750
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3
Default Re: Rear Shocks

Quote:
Originally posted by JDXray
Anyone try running those rear shocks on the otherside of the shock tower? I tried it last saturday but i really didnt have time to sit there and fiddle with it.

I got 2 runs with it and it seemed okay, i think my shock setup is alittle too stiff and my dampening as well. So i changed that. I was originally running 50wt all around with 1 hole front and 3 rear with purple and violet i think.

I went to 40wt front 1 hole (might try 2) and 30wt rear with 3 holes open still. Going to try one step softer around or just run violets all around maybe.

Anyone notice a tweak int the chassis when the shocks are mounted like that?

Jon
nope. no tweak, but i did move my shock tower a bit back with 2mm washers between the bulkheads and tower for smoother action tho (closer to a 90 angle) had to drill new holes but heh.
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #11751
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what is the best replacment chassis for the fk
zinger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #11752
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

Quote:
Originally posted by zinger77
what is the best replacment chassis for the fk
Either the BMI chassis or the XRC chassis.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #11753
Tech Master

Default RWD?

Has anyone tried running their Xray with just RWD? It would be faster, but how much handling would you lose? Just curious.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #11754
Tech Addict

i woulndt necessarily say its faster. because the car was designed for awd, the weight is distributed evenly and also you will have lots of stuff you dont need. eg. the front bulkheads. and then you wouldnt want a stiff deck either. a pan car would still beat its speed anyday. and for handling. blah. it wont turn.. and will spin out easily. the corner speed would be drastically reduced as will acceleration.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #11755
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

is a thicker chassis better? where can i find a xrc ?
zinger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:25 PM   #11756
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by greencactus3
i woulndt necessarily say its faster. because the car was designed for awd, the weight is distributed evenly and also you will have lots of stuff you dont need. eg. the front bulkheads. and then you wouldnt want a stiff deck either. a pan car would still beat its speed anyday. and for handling. blah. it wont turn.. and will spin out easily. the corner speed would be drastically reduced as will acceleration.
Are you talking from experience? I don't need to be told obvious info, I already know all the "physics" and what not with RWD, I just haven't actually tried it, so I am looking for someone who has. You basically posted what I already did, that there would be a loss of handling.

Also, how would RWD not be faster? More efficient drivetrain, less rotating mass, and power is only split between the rear two wheels.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #11757
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by zinger77
is a thicker chassis better? where can i find a xrc ?
A thicker chassis is usually better, although it depends on your surface and driving skill. www.speedtechrc.com
www.kthobbies.com
www.stormerhobbies.com
www.thercshack.com
These all carry Xray parts online, hopefully you'll find one that carries the XRC chassis. For the BMI chassis, go to www.bmiracing.com
Old 04-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #11758
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by micros_rock
Are you talking from experience? I don't need to be told obvious info, I already know all the "physics" and what not with RWD, I just haven't actually tried it, so I am looking for someone who has. You basically posted what I already did, that there would be a loss of handling.

Also, how would RWD not be faster? More efficient drivetrain, less rotating mass, and power is only split between the rear two wheels.
ive tried it on my rs4 and got those results. hey. no reason to be offensive about it. i know you dont like me but i didnt mean to write obvious stuff. some people dont know.
and for faster. do you mean at the track or just a top speed? for top speed yes it may be faster but itll take longer than for an awd. lap times would be faster awd unless its a really grippy wide open traack
Old 04-16-2005, 08:58 PM   #11759
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by micros_rock

How are you going to put power to the ground? even foams on a grippy surface will spin the wheels.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #11760
Tech Master

dontfeelcold - I will be running a stock motor, so no problems with too much power. Plus, the surface I am running on has plenty of grip with rubbers.