R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2002, 09:02 AM   #1141
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffC
Didn't they come out with a new mid oneway a few months ago?
The new one way has serrations (not heavy) on the bearing outer case to prevent it slipping......haven't tried it myself but I'm not convinced that it will entirely solve the problem....may just delay it happening.....anyway there should be nothing wrong with the bearing itself so it can be reused.
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:05 AM   #1142
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by miniman
okay I usually run with the front one-way, so I guess could run with the mid-oneway locked without noticing any difference.
this? "New one-way bearing for the middle shaft. This bearing has grooves on its outer surface that will prevent any potential rotational slippage inside the nylon pulley."?
Effect of front one way only and dual one way is slightly different. I find the front one way only gives you slightly sharper turn in.... but the back end can break away easier without too much notice (when you really push it!!)......you can feel the back end losing traction easier with the dual one way....

........just my 2 cents!!
Old 05-30-2002, 09:16 AM   #1143
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to miniman

okay, I guess I`ll have to try it too see.. I haven`t gotten a chance to run my car for many weeks... Are any of you guys going to try the orion BL system? the price of the system at towerhobbies is quite nice compared to other bl systems.

Last edited by miniman; 05-30-2002 at 09:18 AM.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:38 PM   #1144
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

dtm,

Yes it can but I have the adjuster all the way to the other bulkhead and it still is locked. When new you could grab the front belt and spin the front diff with no effort. I've tried grabbing the pulley were the oneway bearing is and turning the spur but no luck. We're having a big race in 2 weeks and I'm going to do a teardown to sevice the diffs, so I'll fix it then.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 11:46 PM   #1145
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
okay, I guess I`ll have to try it too see.. I haven`t gotten a chance to run my car for many weeks... Are any of you guys going to try the orion BL system? the price of the system at towerhobbies is quite nice compared to other bl systems.
I've tried the ModelTech BL system......only comment is....don't do it!!!!!
Old 05-30-2002, 11:47 PM   #1146
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by GT4-R Terror
dtm,

Yes it can but I have the adjuster all the way to the other bulkhead and it still is locked. When new you could grab the front belt and spin the front diff with no effort. I've tried grabbing the pulley were the oneway bearing is and turning the spur but no luck. We're having a big race in 2 weeks and I'm going to do a teardown to sevice the diffs, so I'll fix it then.
Sounds like your mid one way is really DEAD then!!
Old 05-31-2002, 03:33 AM   #1147
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm

I've tried the ModelTech BL system......only comment is....don't do it!!!!!
why? I`m interested in your experiences with the BL system! according to team-orion, their BL motor will have similar power as their brushed motors. So they won`t be as crazy as the Modeltech-ones, if that was what you meant
Old 05-31-2002, 04:01 AM   #1148
Tech Regular

carpet

Anyone ever run their car on a carpet oval? I found a local track where they run oval and TC's. The TC run through the center infield to go right. Any comments or suggestions?
TIA
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:00 AM   #1149
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:

why? I`m interested in your experiences with the BL system! according to team-orion, their BL motor will have similar power as their brushed motors. So they won`t be as crazy as the Modeltech-ones, if that was what you meant
The throttle response time is 'delayed' the car seems to 'pause' for a millisecond when you come out of a corner (slower speeds)......this maybe be fine for a large flowing track but small, tight, technical track with lots of hairpins really show up this deficiency.

If you like to hit the brakes before going into a corner..this problem is even more obvious.....

The speed is pretty good...a bit faster than an 8T by my estimates. Runtime is OK around 8-9 minutes from 2000s when you really go for it.......you can only get the 15+ minute runtimes if you go easy....I never drive 'easy'

In general I don't think it is worth the money...thats why mine has been put back in the box!

If you are just bashing around it could be FUN......but the demands of small tracks do really show up its deficencies. My laps times using the BL was slower than using a handwound 11T......as I always like to say....Power is nothing without control...and the control is somewhat lacking!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2002, 08:28 AM   #1150
Tech Adept

aha.. thank you. I guess that`s why mostly e-maxx people are using it, and not so many touring guys. I really hope the orion system will be more responsive than what you said..
How did you gear it, and did it get hot whn running it at a track?
Old 05-31-2002, 08:38 AM   #1151
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
aha.. thank you. I guess that`s why mostly e-maxx people are using it, and not so many touring guys. I really hope the orion system will be more responsive than what you said..
How did you gear it, and did it get hot whn running it at a track?
If they sort out the response time it will be very good...but its a big risk if they have not!! I tried all sorts of gearing...in the end I found the motor was most happy with a stupid LOW gearing...I think it I was using a total ratio of around 6.0.......any higher or any lower resulted in even more heat!!!!

The batteries got pretty hairy after a run at around 80-90 deg C!! ESC was pretty hot also.....It may be because I was running during the summer.......it starts off at 30 deg C already!!!
Old 06-01-2002, 07:20 AM   #1152
Tech Regular

Default X-Rays on ovals

RC Nitro
I`ve been running the X-Ray on ovals with great sucsess for about a year now. Basically run the batteries down the left side and make a few camber adjustments and away you go. Our tracks are on clay of all things but the same ideas will work on carpet. At our main track the X-Ray has been untouchable!
saints1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 08:00 PM   #1153
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH
Default Re: X-Rays on ovals

Quote:
Originally posted by saints1115

Our tracks are on clay of all things but the same ideas will work on carpet. At our main track the X-Ray has been untouchable!
What tires are you running??
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 12:57 AM   #1154
Tech Regular

If the track is tacky,I run HPI 4435 slicks with the 4670 insert on their stock car wheel. On a dry dusty track either the HPI 4514 or Proline V-rage,same wheel. We run 200mm stock car bodies with only the factory spoiler. At one track we have to run the 21 turn street spec motor but the only cars faster are the superstock 2wd cars with custom works chassis and mod motors, but only by 2/10 of a second.
saints1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 05:27 AM   #1155
Tech Regular

saints 1115 Thanks.
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote