R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2002, 02:40 PM   #1126
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to miniman

I think you could try the "ultra"-flex plate(or the new flex-plate), maybee. Jilles Groskamp used the ultra-flexer to win the dhi-cup, and the plate has worked very well for the ones in our club that has tried it on carpet. I have only tried it outside, but it worked well there too (for me at least).. It makes the car a tad less precise, but much more forgiving too drive.
It could also be that you have dialed in to much steering on your transmitter (just wondering )
You could also try softer springs in the rear, or stiffer in the front. Also try looking at some set-ups that other drivers have used succesfully. And maybee mcrisp from the "Fast corner speed like pro"-topic has some tips. After what I read it sounds like he knows quite a bit
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 02:51 PM   #1127
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've got the new flexi top plate, just forgot to bring it to the track. D'OH!!! Oh well, I do want to try it the next time I'm there. I thought about going down to orange rear springs, or up to yellow fronts, but I wanted to try fixing it with geometry if I could, maybe I can't though. I tried dialing steering out, it didn't fix the problem though, just covered it up and made it harder to meneuver the car.
JeffC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:30 AM   #1128
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm
Default Re: Setup question.

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffC
I've taken about 2 months off from r/c, needed to save some money, didn't have enough time, etc, etc... Before my "break" I ran both Mod and Stock with foam tires. Now it's all Stock with rubber tires for the rest of the summer and into the fall.

This past Saturday I raced, and had plenty of horsepower, but couldn't get the rearend to hook up. It's good at turn entry, and seems to rotate well through the center of the turn, but at exit it's like the rearend just keeps swingin on around, and all of a sudden the car's sideways. The car is very smooth, and the frontend is working very nice so I didn't want to take traction away from the front, I was just trying to add it to the rear, which was very difficult.
err...this is my std answer for this problem.....before you go out and spend your hard earned cash try this;

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm

Are you running the mid one-way loose? If you are then check your mid one-way; grab hold of it and try to turn the spur gear in the 'locked' direction if there is ANY slipping then that will be your problem. 9 Xrays out of 10 Xrays with a loose rear end is the mid one-way...pull it apart, clean and epoxy it back in....problem solved.....for a few more months!!! Alternatively just lock it out!
Takes you 2 seconds to test....worth a try!!

I have a BRAND NEW spare one way with this problem...albeit was the older design without the serration on the casing...but I'm not convinced that the new design will 100% cure this issue!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:21 PM   #1129
Tech Adept

do you mean that the middle pulley isn`t always giving as much "power" to the front wheels as the pulley that drives the rear? Just wondering, since you mentioned to epoxy the pulley
Old 05-29-2002, 07:32 PM   #1130
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The oneway bearing has a tendancy to actually spin inside the pulley housing, thus not giving full drive to the front wheels, and 100% drive to the rear, the car will essentially act like a 2wd for the time the bearing is slipping, ie usually under load such as exiting corners, and therefore will make the rear end come around.
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 10:50 PM   #1131
Tech Addict

I had the oneway loose, and just now I held onto the front belt, and tried to turn the spur gear forwards. It took some effort, but I could turn the spur, and the rear wheels spun, but the fronts didn't. Then I locked it down, and there's no way I can turn the spur and still hang onto the front. Sooo... looks like I'm gonna go buy the new oneway! Thanks for telling me that, I had heard about the problem before, but forgot about it. That would explain why it gets loose on me.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:57 PM   #1132
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

My one-way is still in good shape. I broke an upper right arm and I have not yet heard from my LHS about it. I should have ordered it from Buster.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:51 PM   #1133
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by miniman
do you mean that the middle pulley isn`t always giving as much "power" to the front wheels as the pulley that drives the rear? Just wondering, since you mentioned to epoxy the pulley
Yes...you could put it that way!
Old 05-29-2002, 11:58 PM   #1134
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffC
I had the oneway loose, and just now I held onto the front belt, and tried to turn the spur gear forwards. It took some effort, but I could turn the spur, and the rear wheels spun, but the fronts didn't. Then I locked it down, and there's no way I can turn the spur and still hang onto the front. Sooo... looks like I'm gonna go buy the new oneway! Thanks for telling me that, I had heard about the problem before, but forgot about it. That would explain why it gets loose on me.
No need to buy new...like I said...I have a brand new one which does the exactly same....Just dismantle the one way bearing from the housing, clean everything up with degreaser and use epoxy to glue it back into the pulley housing (note the direction of installation!!!). You can even scratch the inner surface of the plastic housing to give the epoxy more grip. This will be fine for several months!! This is a design problem which originated from the Corally C4 (same mid one-way design!)....

Alternatively, some people will drill a cross hole in the plastic pulley and use a grub screw to hold the one way bearing down...works equally as well!!
Old 05-30-2002, 01:18 AM   #1135
Tech Adept

aha, okay. thanks for clearing it out for me I wonder why they don`t release a fixed pulley, if the problem is common..
Old 05-30-2002, 03:19 AM   #1136
dtm
Tech Champion

The problem only occurs if you run the mid one way loose. If you clamp down on the mid-oneway, you effectively have a fixed pulley and the problem goes away!!!....of course you also lose the mid one-way action!!
Old 05-30-2002, 05:16 AM   #1137
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

That's funny, I have the opposite problem. My mid oneway is kept locked and I tried to loosen it to do so tests to see if it would help. Turns out it's locked up and I can't seem to get it free. Oh well, I'll leave it for now.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 05:48 AM   #1138
Tech Addict

Didn't they come out with a new mid oneway a few months ago?
Old 05-30-2002, 07:44 AM   #1139
Tech Adept

okay I usually run with the front one-way, so I guess could run with the mid-oneway locked without noticing any difference.
this? "New one-way bearing for the middle shaft. This bearing has grooves on its outer surface that will prevent any potential rotational slippage inside the nylon pulley."?

Last edited by miniman; 05-30-2002 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:00 AM   #1140
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by GT4-R Terror
That's funny, I have the opposite problem. My mid oneway is kept locked and I tried to loosen it to do so tests to see if it would help. Turns out it's locked up and I can't seem to get it free. Oh well, I'll leave it for now.
The plastic adjuster can get very tight.......a good pair of grips on it whilst rotating the spur gear will break the joint!!