R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-27-2004, 04:42 PM   #10996
Tech Rookie

Default Gear ratio

Help please
Hi to all
I am building my fk and I dont know what gear ratio to use. I have a evo2 and tried the low ratio set with poor results. I run on foam with a low wind mod 8 to 10 turn on a parking lot track. Should I use the gear set from my evo2 or the fk set. Any info on sper and pinion and gear sets would be great. (48 pitch or 64)
thanks
Lroy

Last edited by lroy; 12-27-2004 at 06:28 PM.
lroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:41 PM   #10997
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Re: Gear ratio

Quote:
Originally posted by lroy
Hi to all
I am building my fk and I dont know what gear ratio to use. I have a evo2 and tried the low ratio set with poor results. I run on foam with a low wind mod 8 to 10 turn on a parking lot track. Should I use the gear set from my evo2 or the fk set. Any info on sper and pinion and gear sets would be great. (48 pitch or 64)
thanks
Lroy
Depends on the motor you are running.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #10998
Tech Rookie

Hi danjoy25
I run a 8 turn ready kr or a peak 8 turn v2 on the parking lot.
On the indoor carpet I would run a 10 turn ready kr
Lroy.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:54 PM   #10999
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default front shock tower

hi , i am assembling my t1fk ... my front shock tower is different than the instuctions and appears different than the one used in cleveland by Josh cyrul. Do i have a new tower or maybe the wrong part ??? Im not familiar with the other xray kits so maybe this is from one of them ??? If this is a correct "new" tower any comments on how it compares setup wise to the one used in instructions ? by Josh cyrul ... was setting up for carpet and was using his setup as start point . Thanks Ryan ps sorry if this was asked before ... if so any links ??

tower has 4 upper shock mount holes/ a row of 3 holes / 1 hole under this row centered under outside hole / and under that the hole to mount to bulkhead
ssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #11000

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Does anybody make a foam car stand for the T1?
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:26 PM   #11001
Tech Regular

There is an aftermarket shock tower you will want to get. I am not sure of the partnumber but it is listed on the Xray website..oh yeah, dont forget the front diff and rigid chassis.
chach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #11002
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

SSS,
You have one of the newer FK, with the FK optional carpet tower included.
Jamie Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:31 PM   #11003
Tech Rookie

Default Gear ratio

Can anyone help me with my past post on gear ratio
I would like to finish my car but dont know about the gears
Thanks
lroy
Old 12-27-2004, 06:37 PM   #11004
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to ProTeam
Default Ssscamaro

Hey, the shock tower you have is correct. That is the newest one Xray puts out. There has been a couple noted running changes I noticed when I built mine this past weekend. The shock tower is correct though. You may/may not be able to copy that exact set up Josh Cyrul has. There is another shock tower that can be purchased at a extra cost though,
A three hole design or four- part 302093 Ultra Tuned shock Tower. Your best bet is too follow the direction for the kit, and put it there. I would say the second or outer hole is the best bet for you. Not sure what surface you would run on but those are the holes to use for carpet. But that all depends what the car does and what not. Okay, hope that help you a little. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in. Only ran a Xray for a year now and still don't have all of the answers!

Last edited by ProTeam; 12-27-2004 at 06:42 PM.
ProTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #11005
Tech Regular

Default lroy

Iroy,
Please tell us your spur, the motor of choice you would like to use and the ratio of the car you have. (Either 1.77 or 2.125) Also these help too, track length, tire diameter, and what kind of tires you are running. (Foams, Rubbers) I'll try to help you then.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:08 PM   #11006
Tech Rookie

Help please
Hi to all
I am building my fk and I dont know what gear ratio to use. I have a evo2 and tried the low ratio set with poor results. I run on foam with a low wind mod 8 to 10 turn on a parking lot track. Should I use the gear set from my evo2 or the fk set. Any info on spur and pinion and gear sets would be great. (48 pitch or 64)
I run a 8 turn ready kr or a peak 8 turn v2 on the parking lot.
On the indoor carpet I would run a 10 turn ready kr
The parking lot track is med sized
the indoor carpet is small. all on foam.
The question I need answers for is about the low ratio set which comes with fk. I used it on my evo2 and had a hard time finding the right pinon and spur, so should I use it or take the standerd set off my evo 2. And if I should keep the low ratio set what would be a good starting point for pinion and spur
Thank you
Lroy
Old 12-27-2004, 07:31 PM   #11007
Tech Regular

Iroy,

A lot of questions there, I'll answer the easy ones for you. First keep the 1.77 ratio on the FK. That is made for a reason. It helps free it up in corners as I heard and gives you a lower ratio to play with. The only thing I can say is when I ran outdoors I used a 120/31 in 64 pitch for the car. The car was a evo 2 with the gear reduction. I ran a D6 12x2 outside then. Foams were used as well. They consisted of being around 60mm to start and from there I had to gear up to conserve the power. The only disadvantage is this was a large track on pavement. Roughly around 152x94? So that's not a help too you. I was running in the 6.8 range with a D6 outside. Remember this is a large open track so that will not help much. For carpet, you may want to try 8 or 9 for a final ratio. BUT that is a wild guess and is well, not right at all. I wish I could help more, I only remember when I ran a V2 that I ran 120 with a 26-30 pinion. But I just can't remember that far back. Someone else please chim in.. Sorry I can't be a bit more informative.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:38 PM   #11008
Tech Regular

Post Idea!

There's a website out there made for this type of problem. You tell it the car, tire diameter, Rpm, and so forth. It plots a chart full of ratios. On the site it also tells you a point of where to gear at. It's highlighted in yellow. That will help you a lot more then I can. The only problem is, well you won't get the best point to start, but you get something. Now what was that websited called...
Old 12-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #11009
Tech Fanatic

Gearchart Dot Com

Will print a gearing chart, as well as a rollout chart. Just find out what rollout others are using at your track and gear appropriately according to the rollout chart.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #11010
Tech Rookie

Default Gear ratio

Thanks to all for the reply and info
Now I can at least finish the building
Thanks
Lroy