R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2004, 10:30 AM   #10966
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
Bout damn time. You gonna have it ready for the New year's race in Nashville. I might be going. If I have enough money after getting a GFX, I might go.
Not going to be shipped till Jan 3rd becuase I'm out of town till then
Modena AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #10967
Tech Initiate

hi MrRolla,

this is what i do

fill the shock with oil then move the shaft up and down so that the air goes to the top. now let them sit upright for 10 min no less. next push the shock shaft to the top of the shock body making sure that u keep it in the oil. now place the bladder rubber on the top nice and snug, then just pull the shaft out about one cm. this suck the bladder in so that it stays in place. now just put the shock cap on making sure that the aluminium cap is alined with the plastic bit before hand.
soto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:01 PM   #10968
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to ProTeam
Post Ride Height?

Hey Guys,

Apond getting my FK built this weekend, I noticed that I can not achieve the ride height I want. I need to go to at least 5mm but the car has the ride height at 9mm. What are some ways that I can go below this or achieve the ride height I want. I have a set of foams that I cut too 58mm and I never had a big problem like this on my Evo 2. Also forgot to say that the car has a new front shock tower the came with it. Might not matter in this case, but worth saying. So any suggestions are appreciate very much. Thanks! By the way love the car can't wait to hit some carpet.
ProTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 02:48 PM   #10969
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default XRC ?

Hello, Santa just brought me a FT and I have a few questions. With the XRC chassis is the stock steering servo tie rod that comes with it long enough? If not which, one do I need? Has anyone had problems with the ackerman extensions breaking parts, if so what mods need to be done. Thanks
jland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #10970
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re: Ride Height?

Quote:
Originally posted by ProTeam
Hey Guys,

Apond getting my FK built this weekend, I noticed that I can not achieve the ride height I want. I need to go to at least 5mm but the car has the ride height at 9mm. What are some ways that I can go below this or achieve the ride height I want. I have a set of foams that I cut too 58mm and I never had a big problem like this on my Evo 2. Also forgot to say that the car has a new front shock tower the came with it. Might not matter in this case, but worth saying. So any suggestions are appreciate very much. Thanks! By the way love the car can't wait to hit some carpet.
I would check 2 things ...

1st - did you screw the ball-ends on the the bottom of the shock in completely?
2nd - make sure that you have the suspension mounted in the right holes on the bulk-heads ... make sure that you mounted the suspension as per the instruction manual.

Thats all that I can think of.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:34 PM   #10971
Tech Apprentice

had the same problem....just put tc3 shock bottems to retain the springs...period. Also if you want lower ride hieght shave of 1-2 mm of material of the end of the shock ends. Those are definite solutions.
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #10972
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pyramid
[B]It should not happening.. try the following method I wrote in our website for Serpent damper and please give another feedback,......

I rebuilt the shocks....and low and behold...they are perfect now. No bubble and the smoothest opperation I could see. ...sorry bout the double post but I just relized his post asked for a follow up report.

XRAY RULES
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #10973
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey
Default Re: XRC ?

Quote:
Originally posted by jland
Hello, Santa just brought me a FT and I have a few questions. With the XRC chassis is the stock steering servo tie rod that comes with it long enough? If not which, one do I need? Has anyone had problems with the ackerman extensions breaking parts, if so what mods need to be done. Thanks
its kind of long enough, i made it long enough (had about 4mm to spare each end) and just put a dab of blue on it to stop it coming out
worked a treat.
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:53 PM   #10974
wes
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so i guess this is the place to post this but how do you guys feel the Xray stacks up agains the rest of the feild and is the drive train real smooth ive been lookin at one for a while im sure that it will be a step in the right direction from a xxx-s wich definatly lacks in the drive train i was wondering how solid the drive traina re on these cars and do they have real good pickup suprizingly the xxx-s spools up amazingly or maybe its jsut how i drive i always endup getting right up on all the other cars off the corners but how do you guys think this car stacks up against the tc3 or the xxx-s or the yokomo ssg sd or even the MI2 any opinions are definatly welcome
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:05 AM   #10975
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

As good as all the other cars you have mentioned, and if you're coming from an XXX-S G+ as your previous car, you'll enjoy how strong the FK is comepared to the XXX-S G+.

The FK can take a hit that would see the XXX-S break.

In terms of drivetrain freeness, my previous car was a XXX-S G+ and I was happy with its drivetrain, it was always very free and smooth. Of course, my Xray is even smoother.

Accelleration out of corners is excellent with the low ratio pulley set, and in my last race I was outhandling all other cars on the track (my driving was letting me down!), mostly Yokomo SD's.

On carpet is where the car shines, we're about to start a carpet racing season here in Adelaide, Australia on Rubber tires. On foams it is a demon.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:12 AM   #10976
wes
Tech Regular

ive run the xxx-s for abotu 1 1/2 season never broke with it its definatly a sturdy car ill be running it on carpet definatly with rubber tires im kinda hooked on the xxx-s though becuase it pull out of the corners better than mostly all the cars ive run against suprizingly over 50% of the time it out hauls a shaft drive car off. but is the xray fairly adjustable ive never toyed around with one so i dont know. right now the hot car is a shumacher but would this car beat a shumacher and what about its weight distrubution any know about that?
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:22 AM   #10977

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Finally dialed in some steering today, and the car was awesome.

Drivetrain-wise, it is very smooth. Coming from a TC3/TC4, I have to say it might not react as quickly to every blip you put in the throttle, but the overall feeling is, as I said, smoother.

Unfortunately I broke my first part(s) today due to some radio trouble. Upper and lower bumper braces snapped. I guess I'd rather have that break than an arm, the car was still run-able, although I would think the bumper should stay intact.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:14 AM   #10978
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by wes
how do you guys think this car stacks up against the tc3 or the xxx-s or the yokomo ssg sd or even the MI2 any opinions are definatly welcome
What do you honestly think guys on this thread are going to tell you.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:23 AM   #10979
Tech Regular

In general belt driven cars will be faster of the line or accelerating out of very slow corners. The reason is that the belt will flex sligthly when you apply the throttle which keeps the tyres from losing traction. A shaft driven car does not have this flex which causes the tyres to spin if you hit full throttle out of a standstill. In effect belts give you a sort of mechanical "traction control". This is also the reason why a belt drive will give a smoother "feel" during acceleration.

Conversely in medium speed corners a shaft drive will generally accelerate faster as the car will react instantly to the throttle input. Due to the higher cornering speed the tyres will not spin even if you hit full throttle (unless grip is low off course) so now the flex in the belts becomes a disadvantage.

In past few years I have seen many starts of A-Finals in top international events and in all of them the belt drives were faster at the start, often overtaking shaft drives in front of them before the first corner. However when cornering through medium speed corners the shaft drives almost allways seem to carry more speed. In fast corners there doesn't seem to be a difference.

Conclusion, both systems work very well and have their advantages and disadvantages. The torque steer problem with shaft drives is the one that for me tips the balance in favor of the belt drive systems.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:04 AM   #10980
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
What do you honestly think guys on this thread are going to tell you.
Until now, all of them just simply comparison with what previously being owned, that is what I`m seeing here.. did you smell something different?
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote