R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2004, 08:26 AM   #9991
Tech Regular

OleC

I run a very similar setup to you on tightish carpet tracks, although i don't use an antiroll bar.

Try using harder springs all round for a looser feel to the car.

Last weekend i ended up using Violets on the front and Blues on the rear with 1 hole open on the front and 2 on the rear. I was using Sorex 24r's.

I usually start the day with Blues on the front with 2 holes open and Light lues on the back with 4 holes open. Also try standing the shocks up more for a more reactive feeling.

Hope this helps.

Pyramid Quote: Front Camber Link #2 (make the lenght identical with rear so you get better balance in suspension geometery for both on and off throttle.. no surprise feeling).
I'm going to try this on the weekend, it seems like common sense. Thankyou
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #9992
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Bearings

Quote:
Originally posted by FW05R
did you guys clean your bearings in any way shape or form before building the kit to make them smoother?

do you need to do anything to the bearings?
I put the car together, doing nothing to the bearings. Then I threw an old motor in it and set the car on a stand. Then I ran the car at 2 volts for 2 hours to break the bearings and drivetrain in without slinging the lubricant everywhere. Then just run the car and clean the bearings between each race weekend. The drivetrain is super smooth.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:00 AM   #9993
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

I didn't clean the bearings either and I really like the idea of breaking in the car on a stand at 2volts...gonna have to give that a try....
Old 11-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #9994
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
I just realize that you did run on carpet.. try much harder dampening combination to start with.
Hi Pyramid fancy seeing you here

Not sure if you read that I have eventually tested my T1 FK and it rocks! I started with 50W Assos oil all round, two holes on the adjustable shocks and copper front and gold rear Assos springs.
Do you recommend then going to 60W oil?

Mine lacked a little steering on power, but I still set a time which only one person bettered once during the race on Sunday - so I can say that this thing is very fast - And I did make sure that my car was on the 1500 gram weight limit.

The only change I made from the standard setup (execept the shocks and springs) was to increase the droop from 5mm to 6mm, this settled the off-power rear end down a bit.

BTW: I'm on carpet with Sorex 24R tyres.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #9995
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

OleC,

I run 19T rubber on a high traction carpet like your track. I was struggling with my cars for 2 races like yours.... car just "die" in the corners". And last weekend during testing, I finally found a setup that doesn't die in corners and it's extemely quick in transition. Shoot me a pm with your email and we'll chat via email, I really don't care much for posting my setup out here.

Dom
Old 11-10-2004, 05:54 PM   #9996
Tech Regular

i was wondering if anyone has had a problem with there layshaft bearings. I have to replace the bearings after every 6 runs. I have replaced the layshaft thinking that was the problem, but it still occurs.
thanks in advance
andy
racingcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #9997
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

Quote:
Originally posted by JDXray
Oh ya, lol sorry. On the layshaft of either the FK or T1R. You'll see that black piece before the gear pullies, i heard you should sand that alittle because there is no movement when pull on the layshaft. So as the layshaft is spinning and getting those RPMs starts to heat up, by sanding that piece down you should be able to move the layshaft alittle instead of it being stuck right on the bulkheads.

Its kinda hard to explain i can get a pic up soon. I still have to do the sanding but a "pro" at my track told me it should help it for the bearings siezing.

Let me know if its clear.

Jon
I wrote about my siezed bearings a couple pages back.

Jon
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #9998
Tech Master

Someone posted on the XRay forum about the same thing, you may want to add a thin shim to the Bulkhead brace so that there is a little side to side play on the layshaft, if not during an impact you will put stress on the bearings. These bearings are not the sort that can take a lot of lateral stress and will blow up...

Hope this helps....BTW: When I say thin, I mean about half a millimeter....
Old 11-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #9999
Tech Elite

pic for that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture.jpg (78.5 KB, 169 views)
Old 11-10-2004, 08:32 PM   #10000
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Corey Bernardo

JDXray- That arrow is pointing to the black cone spacer... Is that where you put the half a mil spacer before it.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:35 PM   #10001
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Corey Bernardo
JDXray- That arrow is pointing to the black cone spacer... Is that where you put the half a mil spacer before it.
Well i was told to take a piece of paper and sand both ends so there is some play on the layshaft, but Tigeryan says otherwise. I am not sure why you would be a spacer if there is no play to begin with.. I am alittle confused.

Jon
Old 11-10-2004, 08:40 PM   #10002
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Corey Bernardo

Yeas that makes no sense to me either...
Old 11-10-2004, 08:43 PM   #10003
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Corey Bernardo
Yeas that makes no sense to me either...
from what i heard, your supposed to do it the way i said too: which is to sand that black spacer on the layshaft.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:44 PM   #10004
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You actually want ever so slightly little play on the layshaft. That's the way we do it in our 1/8th as well. You don't want absolute no movement.

I seized the spur side bearing on my layshaft once on my asphalt FK. I did the same thing Jon said on my carpet FK and not a problem and that car got more miles too.
Dom
Old 11-10-2004, 08:53 PM   #10005
Tech Master

Ok, after looking at my car, I am not quite sure where to put or remove space, but the idea is to have a LITTLE side to side play on the layshaft....