R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2004, 03:22 PM   #8836
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Droop is just a different way to measure uptravel. Rubbertire guys usually measure droop, where foam tire guys know that uptravel is the way to get repeating results with different diameter tires....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #8837
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

one thing to consider when checking chassis uptravel is. I check with the shocks on. And the only reason is because I don't have a way of checking the spring. The springs right to left needs to have the same rate. I know that on xray that the colors denote the spring rate. But I would bet that no 2 springs have the same compression ratio through the entire compression of the spring. So I check up travel with the spring and shocks connected to the arms.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:17 PM   #8838
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by theisgroup
mark,

this may help. As your tire gets smaller, to maintain the same ride height. the droop screw will need to be backed out to maintain the same amount of chassis up travel. It is true that the droop setting is basically how much the arm will travel below the plane of the chassis, but we are talking about how much up travel the chassis will have will definatly change. And to maintain the same up travel is critical in maintaining the amount to weight transfer there is in the car. So as the tires get smaller the arm will have more of an angle to maintain ride height. And that angle reduces up travel.

So basically, Droop will not change with ride height, but chassis up travel will. But I think droop is not the critical setting we should be looking at. Chassis up travel is. As this does change with ride height and must be check every run. And this does affect performance of the car, because weight transfer is affected
I think we are explaining droop in different ways and maybe this is where the confusion is coming from.
I'm explaining it in terms of how much the arms are able to drop down from the "in-the-springs" position and you are explaining how much up-travel the chassis has - but these are the exact same things just our reference points are different. If I take the chassis as the reference, then the droop screws dictate how much I can lift the chassis in an upward direction until the droop screws hit the chassis.
But again the limiting factor in the amount of up-travel of the chassis or the down-travel of the arms is the same: the droop screws.

Let me explain what I mean from your pictures - as I still think we are describing the same thing with different words.

Top pic - lets say the tyre diameter is 62mm the ride height is 6mm and the droop (i.e. the distance between the bottom of the droop screw and the top of the chassis is 6mm).
Lets say the picture shows the car "in-the-springs". We can now lift the chassis up 6mm before the droop screw hits the top of the chassis. Or, we could say that the arms will travel 6mm in a downwards direction before hitting the top of the chassis.

Ok, lets move onto the second picture.
Now the tyres have worn down to 60mm and we have reset our ride height to 6mm (it would have been 5mm without resetting the ride height because of the tyre wear).
Due to resetting the ride height, the arms are now angled more in a downwards direction when "in-the-springs" (as shown in the diagram). This now means that the distance between the not yet adjusted droop screw and the top of the chassis has reduced to 5mm - which you can see visually in the diagram.
In order to get back to our 6mm "droop" setting, the droop screw has to be backed out 1mm.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:48 PM   #8839
Tech Prophet

Quote:
So basically, Droop will not change with ride height, but chassis up travel will.
If you're looking at droop with regards to just the numbers on the droop gauge, yes, of course they do not change when the tire wears down. When you set it at say +4 on the droop gauge, it still remains at +4 after tire wears down.

Quote:
But I think droop is not the critical setting we should be looking at. Chassis up travel is. As this does change with ride height and must be check every run. And this does affect performance of the car, because weight transfer is affected
Yes, like what you say, chassis uptravel is affected when tire wears down and when the ride height is reset.

Best would be to always measure and maintain the chassis uptravel at whatever tires you're using. It's pretty simple. If you're running 6 mm ride height and you want 2 mm of chassis uptravel before the tires start to lift off the ground, then when your chassis is on the 8 mm mark of your ride height gauge, the tires should start to lift off the ground. If they are not, then adjust the droop screws. This ensures that you get the same uptravel all the time using different tire diameters... Unless of course you're rich enough to cut and use same tire diameters all the time or you use rubber tires.

Hope that clears the confusion between "droop" and chassis uptravel. Different ways of looking at things but the same shit.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:42 AM   #8840
Tech Addict

Talking The Great Droop Debate

Woo Hoo!

I think we all got it now, at least until someone figures out a way to relate droop to the horizontal movement of the suspension arms!

<fight announcer declares a draw and the bout ladies finally get the attention thier presence desrve>

^5
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:55 AM   #8841
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: The Great Droop Debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom G
Woo Hoo!

I think we all got it now, at least until someone figures out a way to relate droop to the horizontal movement of the suspension arms!

<fight announcer declares a draw and the bout ladies finally get the attention thier presence desrve>

^5
Yeah, lets get to the important stuff - where are the bout ladies
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:45 AM   #8842
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i set the droop once, and never touch it again, no matter what the tyre size. its always fast and gets faster as the tyres get smaller, but my droop settings are more suited to smaller tyres.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:43 AM   #8843
Tech Adept

Default Looking for the Factory Kit.

I have been calling around looking for a factory kit and I can't find any. Do any of you know if somene has it in stock? I still have to email Kt hobbies, they usually come through. I see that some of the HK stores have them but who knows if they really have it in stock. They take your money then email you and tell you its backorderd. It's happen before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kevinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:43 PM   #8844
Tech Apprentice

Well I bought mine at rc-mushroom.com and they had it in stock. Also I heard that DINBALL Rcmart just got it instock right now.
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:48 PM   #8845
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reply. How long did it take you to get it from RC- mushroom?
Old 09-07-2004, 03:56 PM   #8846
Tech Apprentice

It took about 5 days
not bad when you consider its over seas in hong kong but I paid for express shipping
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 PM   #8847
Tech Adept

KT Hobbies does not have them in stock. I have mine on order from KT. There are no new FK's available in the U.S., right now. Kraig at Kt said we are probably looking at mid-September for the FK's to be available.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:15 PM   #8848
Tech Adept

Looks like there aren't any to be found. I called RCAMERICA and they said to make sure I preorder it because people have been waiting awhile and alot of the shipment that is coming in is already spoken for. They did say that the ship is in the port and just waiting for customs clearance and after that it's only a couple of days before they go out. So by what they said it's only a week or 2 before the shops have them. He said "to make sure not to preorder from Horizon because they are last on the list to get any at all and most likely none". I wouldn't order from them any way with what they charge I'll just email KT hobbies and preorder because they have the best price and Craig is a super guy.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:31 PM   #8849
JCB
Tech Addict

Also give Robert a call at www.ashfordhobby.com He is great with getting parts/kits.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:47 PM   #8850
Tech Adept

I e-mailed Ashford Hobby when I was looking for a FK. They don't have any FK's.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote